Dive computer basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When Diving a Aeris XR2 computer, If I go past the deco limits, say 200 feet for 30 min, will it let me know what to do at that point, (assuming I was not planning on doing this).

uh, read the manual, but holy crap. That's more than just going past no deco limits. That's a serious dive. Like an hour of decompression obligation serious.

I imagine that it will give you some instructions (ascend to XXX, etc.), but it will be assuming you have enough gas, which you won't unless you've planned for it. A dive like that you better have multiple deco bottles and probably at least one stage bottle.

If you do an unplanned dive to 200 ft for 30 minutes it is highly unlikely that you will have enough gas to do a proper decompression, no matter what your computer tells you to do.

If you do an unplanned dive to 200 ft for 30 minutes it is highly unlikely that you will have enough gas to do a proper decompression, no matter what your computer tells you to do.

I know you're just being nice, but... A dive to 200 for 30 when the plan called for NDL? Not unlikely. It's inconceivable.

edit: Hmm, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the OP is new to diving and doesn't really have a feel for what's reasonable and what's not.

The short answer is: yes, it will tell you something when you blow NDL. Whether what it tells you is a) plausible or b) desirable is a matter for debate.

Most computers (I have not read the manual for this particular Aeris model) will do some kind of decompression calculation but it is meant more for the "Oh crap, I was watching the pretty fishy and missed my NDL by five minutes, here at 80' " than for what you are describing. As others have stated, the kind of dive you referred to requires a lot of planning and a lot of gas- doubles for backgas, slung bottles with travel gas, slung deco bottles etc. There is no logical scenario that would have you go that deep for that long with a traditional single tank recreational rig.
Most computers are meant to function within reasonable limits, with some margin for diver error. The best solution is: don't put yourself in that kind of trouble in the first place.

If you want to do 200 feet for 30 minutes you will need quite a bit of training. I would also suggest a dive computer such as a VR3 and a decompression software program such as vplanner.

If you made the dive that you suggested, you WILL run out of gas and you WILL be lucky to end up in a chamber.

On the other hand, if you are asking whether dive computers will tell you when to stop and for how long if you accidentally go into deco, the answer is yes.

When Diving a Aeris XR2 computer, If I go past the deco limits, say 200 feet for 30 min, will it let me know what to do at that point, (assuming I was not planning on doing this).

Sorry.......... :rofl3:

If you are serious...PM me and I will explain this to you. :wink:

I'll answer the question as if you asked what your computer does if you go to 85' for 30 minutes on air.

It will show 3 bits of info ---
1) the total ascent time needed
2) the shallowest depth to which you can ascend -- in this case it would be 10'
3) the amount of time you need to spend at 10' before you can move up to the next 10' point -- in this case the surface.

Your manual will have the details of what is shown in the mandatory decompression mode. Even if you wisely do not intend to enter the deco mode, it is best that you recognize the display and understand it. The Aeris computers, just like other computers made by Pelagic and sold under Oceanic and Sherwood brands, use one decompression algorithm for NDL calculations and a different model for calculating mandatory decompression stops. This results in a bit of strangeness as you transition past NDL into mandatory deco. There are other computers that are better suited for calculating mandatory deco.

In any case, if you have a significant required decompression, then you need to have the air (or other gas) needed for that decompression. That's why a decompression dive needs additional planning.

Snailnaked,

OMG.............:shakehead::shakehead::confused::confused:

Yes it will tell you the stops to make and what depth. Not sure about 200 feet but it will at 140 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom