Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may pay extra for features like Nitrox (most computers made in the last 10-15 years will accommodate Nitrox), air integration, horseless air integration, etc. But if you don’t need/want any of that, you shouldn’t pay for it.
How much would I save if I got my air integration with a horse?:wink:

Another couple of benefits of a Peregrine are unmatched customer service compared to any dive product company. The 2 button user interface is so simple and intuitive you could probably figure the basics out on your own sitting on the couch. I used to have Suunto Vyper 2 and zoop, very reliable, not that great at night but I’d always need to refresh my memory with the manual before every trip with the Vyper.
The dive screen layout IMO is the best I’ve seen. It is very customizeable as well. They are pricey but they command very good resale value. They are reliable so there are few concerns buying used.
100% agree on their customer service. I just had to send my peregrine in for a repair. They had it shipped back to me in a week and was fully covered under warranty. From contacting Shearwater to getting the repair completed and sent back everything was really quick with good communication and made as simple as possible.

Donkeys need less grub. If any at all.

And a horse never tried to save me, from a scary bon fire.

I'm not into the AI. I only got a sensor for my singles reg, because the Terric records pressures on its dive log, which is kinda cool.

Hey gang. New here and I thought I'd ask the experts...no doubt this has been discussed here a lot and I have done some searching so bear with me;

I'm a "veteran" (read OLD) diver and I pretty much just do warm water resort dives. I have a liveaboard excursion on my bucket list but that's not immediate.
My typical Caribbean holiday (mostly Cuba these days) includes a 10 dive package, 2 per day one deep one shallower

So it seems like I need a computer, or least that's what I'm told by fellow divers. I've been looking at some cheaper options like Novo Zoop but a peregrine is also in the mix.

Question: for a person who's lucky to get in the water 2-3 trips a year (apx 10 dives/trip) does it really make sense to spend almost $800 on a computer?
(for context, I was licensed in 1978 and we did tables) Up until now Ive just been following the dive master and do whatever they do....

Thanks for any tips or advice. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Zoop will lock you out for 24 hrs if you exceed limits even briefly. Ask me how I know. 😒

Zoop will lock you out for 24 hrs if you exceed limits even briefly. Ask me how I know. 😒
Would not knowingly purchase a dive computer that "locks out" for violating it's expressed "limits".

Like "doctor's orders", I consider them advice to be listened to, understood, considered, and either followed or disregarded depending on the situation.

Same as the Boeing vs. Airbust discussion.

Would not knowingly purchase a dive computer that "locks out" for violating it's expressed "limits".

It's a good thing most of them don't, then.

Now, if you omit mandatory deco, and are at "unacceptably high" risk of DCS, they may refuse to work because it doesn't make sense that you would continue diving, and because mathematically they can't compute you any useful advice: you're well into the GIGO territory. But if that's how you dive, there's always Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom