Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey gang. New here and I thought I'd ask the experts...no doubt this has been discussed here a lot and I have done some searching so bear with me;

I'm a "veteran" (read OLD) diver and I pretty much just do warm water resort dives. I have a liveaboard excursion on my bucket list but that's not immediate.
My typical Caribbean holiday (mostly Cuba these days) includes a 10 dive package, 2 per day one deep one shallower

So it seems like I need a computer, or least that's what I'm told by fellow divers. I've been looking at some cheaper options like Novo Zoop but a peregrine is also in the mix.

Question: for a person who's lucky to get in the water 2-3 trips a year (apx 10 dives/trip) does it really make sense to spend almost $800 on a computer?
(for context, I was licensed in 1978 and we did tables) Up until now Ive just been following the dive master and do whatever they do....

Thanks for any tips or advice. Sorry for the lengthy post.
stick to the zoop.

Since I'm mostly diving in Cuba lately, I haven't seen a rental option available just yet. My only real hesitation is that I noticed many divers with computers seem to spend a great deal of precious dive time staring at the watch. I prefer to stare at pretty fish and coral but what do I know... lol. To each for sure.
Only inexperienced diver keep admiring his/her computer.
Zoop is more than adequate for you.

sorry gang - I need to ask one more dumb question - since I'm also now considering getting my own bcd and reg set, does it make more sense to go with a console type computer? Seems like a streamlined option to me....

this seems like a bargoon;

A quite expensive console.
My son did buy a Cressi Leonardo + SPG + compass console for 110 eur on Amazon (Prime Day)...
Current price is higher, but not so much (205 eur).
Screenshot-20240130-114117-Chrome.jpg

My son did buy a Cressi Leonardo + SPG + compass console for 110 eur on Amazon (Prime Day)...
Likewise, I've bought 2 Cressi consoles with computers from Amazon for my kids, albeit a few years back :
July 2019 Giotto + SPG £101 new
June 2019 Leonardo + SPG + Compass £100 Amazon Warehouse
When searching Amazon, the search facility is bizarre - so try a few alternatives such as console instead of computer. You may be amazed at what turns up! And worth sticking stuff in your basket as Amazon will show you price changes. Recently bought a Cressi torch for £44 - next day it had gone up to £70.

Slight word of warning - there are other threads on SB detailing a problem with the Leonardo failing to boot up. Otherwise a decent, simple, computer.

SEAC seem to have had an issue with their computers dying - water ingress.

On the whole, I'd initially stick with a wrist mounted, simple computer. And a single console with SPG - I don't really understand why you want a depth gauge as well, nowadays. Probably "backup" - but it's really backup of backup - your dive buddy is your main backup. OK, I'm an old & cynical diver, but there seems to be a quasi cult nowadays of more & more kit - which suits the manufacturers......

Keep it simple, enjoy the diving (which is what it's supposed to be about....), get to know & understand your kit, learn from talking to a wide variety of other divers & go from there.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Amazon typically doesn't have anywhere near the deals in Canada that I see in the us or Europe. Annoying.

Likewise, I've bought 2 Cressi consoles with computers from Amazon for my kids, albeit a few years back :
July 2019 Giotto + SPG £101 new
June 2019 Leonardo + SPG + Compass £100 Amazon Warehouse
When searching Amazon, the search facility is bizarre - so try a few alternatives such as console instead of computer. You may be amazed at what turns up! And worth sticking stuff in your basket as Amazon will show you price changes. Recently bought a Cressi torch for £44 - next day it had gone up to £70.

Slight word of warning - there are other threads on SB detailing a problem with the Leonardo failing to boot up. Otherwise a decent, simple, computer.

SEAC seem to have had an issue with their computers dying - water ingress.

On the whole, I'd initially stick with a wrist mounted, simple computer. And a single console with SPG - I don't really understand why you want a depth gauge as well, nowadays. Probably "backup" - but it's really backup of backup - your dive buddy is your main backup. OK, I'm an old & cynical diver, but there seems to be a quasi cult nowadays of more & more kit - which suits the manufacturers......

Keep it simple, enjoy the diving (which is what it's supposed to be about....), get to know & understand your kit, learn from talking to a wide variety of other divers & go from there.
Thanks for your help. You're right, I really don't need a depth guage. Just seems to be how most consoles are sold? Not sure.

Thanks for your help. You're right, I really don't need a depth guage. Just seems to be how most consoles are sold? Not sure.
To clarify, you know you need a depth gauge. They are built into your dive computer of course.
I find consoles big a bulky. Much easier to dive with dive computer on right hand wrist, compass if needed on left (if not built into dive computer) and Spg clipped off to left waist Dring.

To clarify, you know you need a depth gauge. They are built into your dive computer of course.
I find consoles big a bulky. Much easier to dive with dive computer on right hand wrist, compass if needed on left (if not built into dive computer) and Spg clipped off to left waist Dring.
Thanks bud! Clarification much appreciated.

thanks again for your time. It seems like a decent wrist computer as recommended here is either $400 or $700 in Canada so it's looking like the peregrine is still in the mix.

Keep in mind that computers with shiny colour screens tend to need rechargeable batteries that don't last forever assuming you get a good one to begin with (check out the "teric" thread). An $200 (-ish) Puck/Leo/Zoop runs off of a CR2430 for a year or two.

I have no problem seeing my old scratched Leo underwater in bright sunlight. I am "only" at 1.5..1.75 readers now, though -- YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom