Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear you. I earned my YMCA certification from a Navy UDT diver in '73 then followed up with a full string of PADI certifications when my wife learned to dive for her 60th birthday. In short, a dive computer is another safety device for our chosen activity that requires life support gear to participate in. Think of a dive computer as an enhancement to dive safety, similar to BCDs, the additional octopus regulator, DSMBs, and emergency radio signalling devices. I think you'll grow to appreciate the data one will provide on your dive, as well as recall in planning similar dives. The Shearwater Peregrine has a well thoughtout interface providing just what you need for a reasonable cost. I use it as a backup computer to my primary air integrated computer. About that bucket list liveaboard trip - most liveaboards require the use of a computer - your own or you can rent one for the time you are diving with them. Consider renting a computer for your next day trip - most dive center rentals are the console type of computer, but at least you get to experience what they provide before committing to purchase your own.
thanks Bill - much appreciated.

too true! I tried a SEAC Action and I could hardly read the darn thing. Back it went....
In that case, you may want to look at the Peregrine. Larger screen and full color, and you can customize the colors used to make sure they are very easily read. Color screens do add cost, but are worth it IMO. And when just looking at color screens, the Peregrine is very reasonably priced.

In that case, you may want to look at the Peregrine. Larger screen and full color, and you can customize the colors used to make sure they are very easily read. Color screens do add cost, but are worth it IMO. And when just looking at color screens, the Peregrine is very reasonably priced.
I was afraid that I might be convinced to spend $800 on a computer - dang. :wink: Makes sense though. Visability is increasingly a factor for my "demographic"

Question: for a person who's lucky to get in the water 2-3 trips a year (apx 10 dives/trip) does it really make sense to spend almost $800 on a computer?
No, no and absolutely not. Get a zoom,a puck pro or equivalent

I was afraid that I might be convinced to spend $800 on a computer - dang. :wink: Makes sense though. Visability is increasingly a factor for my "demographic"
Always happy to convince others to spend their money. :wink:

Though, it may be a bit cheaper than that. $550 US, but I see it's $700 CA.
Just for comparison, I checked Scuba.com for Wrist computers and put the filter for color display, then sorted from lowest to highest cost. The Peregrine was listed as 3rd lowest, though the lowest price doesn't appear to have a color display, so I think Scuba.com messed up on that one.

Only the Atmos Mission 2 was less. Smaller screen, and I've read less than stellar reviews. I can't recall ever reading a negative review of the Peregrine.

Just for comparison, I checked Scuba.com for Wrist computers and put the filter for color display, then sorted from lowest to highest cost. The Peregrine was listed as 3rd lowest, though the lowest price doesn't appear to have a color display, so I think Scuba.com messed up on that one.

Only the Atmos Mission 2 was less. Smaller screen, and I've read less than stellar reviews. I can't recall ever reading a negative review of the Peregrine.
plus Shearwater is a Canadian company and that counts!

I actually bought the Atmos before I sent it back and got the Peregrine. It’s a relatively big chunk, but it is so easy to see and use.
As I read these posts, I started thinking about what it would be like NOT diving with a computer following a DM around. It would be more like riding around on a glass-bottom boat. Managing your safety stops and surface intervals, checking depth and post-dive profile and temperature reviews are a big part of what defines diving for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom