Dive Comp for OW+AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Let's assume that two experienced and fit divers are doing a wreck dive to 80ft. They breathe much better than I do. Instead of 90psi per minute at depth, they breath 40psi per minute at depth. Lets say they are doing a normal AOW dive like the Spiegel Grove. They are 200ft from the ascent line when one loses an o-ring at the regulator. He's in a bubble shower and trying to shut it down, his buddy realizes he has a problem, and assists in shutting the valve down, and gives his buddy the octopus on a 40" hose. This is a day with a bit of current so they go to find the anchor line. Let's say the donating diver began the donation with 1200psi. To go 200ft to the ascent line is approximately 50fpm swimming. This is pretty hard with only a 40" hose between them, but it's a standard speed for cavers to swim so we'll leave it at that. So when they reach the ascent line its been 4 minutes. From 80ft to 50ft takes a minute. From 50-20 is another minute, they do a 3 minute safety stop. They take another half a minute to get ther fins dealt with and hit the surface.

I count a 6 minutes before they get to their safety stop, and 3.5 shallow. Their combined breathing rate at depth was 80psi per minute. In 4 minutes getting to the line they breathed 320psi of the 1200 available. So they have 880 when they hit the line. They lose another 80 or so on the first minute of ascent. So now 720. They are coming shallow so lets say they only burn 50 coming to toward the stop, so that's 670psi. Lets say that now they are breathing at 15psi per minute each instead of the 40 at depth. So that is a combined 30psi for the 3 minute safety stop or another 90psi total on the safety stop. They have 580psi available to surface with.

Unless I'm missing something, A diver who breaths at a rate of 40 psi per minute who has 1200 psi left in his tank has used 1800 psi. 1800 divided by 40 = 45 minutes. As we have previously discussed, with no residule nitrogen, your NDL at the 80 ft you have chosen is 30 minutes. If your divers are 45 minutes into this 80 ft dive when a hose blows they will need a lot more than a 3 minute safety stop.:D

Matthew

Yes, Matthew, you're right.

mjatkins:
A diver who breaths at a rate of 40 psi per minute

For one reference point, I am a fairly average breather, and at 80 feet I'll go through about 45 PSI/minute on Aluminum 80 doubles.

Two distressed air hogs? Figure something in the ballpark of 275PSI/minute on a single Aluminum 80.

My advice to the OP is don't buy a computer off of ebay, buy a new one form your local dive shop so you will have someone to go to if you have a problem.

Buy a computer that is within your budget but will also let you grow. You will probably want to dive with Nitrox at some point so I would suggest a computer that has that capability. You will also probably want to dive at night so look for one with a backlight. Logging is also a great feature to have along with the ability to download to a computer.

I use a Veo 180 from Oceanic it covers all those features and it only has one button so it is easy to use :wink:

I completed my OW and AOW back to back. Then I saved up and bought a Pro Plus 2 computer. I have completed 16 dives with the computer and does it work nice. Just completed Cavern and my instructor even had us go over the tables to ensure we understood them. While it is good to buy what you can budget for, save a little longer and get the one you want. :D

eric229:
My advice to the OP is don't buy a computer off of ebay, buy a new one form your local dive shop so you will have someone to go to if you have a problem.

?

Buying from ebay doesn't prevent service at a LDS.

I would buy a computer but are you buying all your equipment are just a computer? If buying your basics Reg Octo BC SPG I would buy a "puter". But I would purchase basics mask/fins/etc. then reg-octo-spg/BC Are you looking at air integrated? SPG-computer/compass?

As a brand new diver wannabe (just finished classroom and pool training) and lurker on the board I'd like to thank you all for a *very* informative thread - and a special Thank You to PerroneFord for painting a very clear picture of all the thinks I *didn't* learn yet. Very sobering indeed.

Henrik

Henrik,

One should never think that they know it all.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom