Dive Comp for OW+AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP:
As a brand new diver wannabe (just finished classroom and pool training) and lurker on the board I'd like to thank you all for a *very* informative thread - and a special Thank You to PerroneFord for painting a very clear picture of all the thinks I *didn't* learn yet. Very sobering indeed.

Henrik

This is a great fun sport. As long as we think through what it is we're doing in the water, it can also be very safe. I wish you all the best as you go through your certification.

-P

reaver:
Not to break the ongoing debate, but thanks for the responses! I agree with the points on learning to use the table and being comfortable with it while taking the course instead of relying too much on the computer Thanks guys!

Let me get back to the original question:

First, you should learn without a computer. Anyone who suggests that a computer is great to use instead of tables (not that anyone has done that in this thread) should be publicly flogged :wink:

Second, there are some areas where computers are very valuable:
If you are doing repetitive shoredives, i.e. multi level dives, then a computer can be a very useful tool as it will track your depth continuously. This does not mean that you should turn off your brain. Check your dives against tables (you'll most likely be way over NDL if you assume a square profile on a table and dive a multi level profile and track it with a computer). Get a sense of what some common dive scenarios and profiles are for your local conditions.

Remember that a computer has no more insight into your specific nitrogen loading than a table. Your hydration level, sleep the night before, cold water, post dive stress by hiking up a slope to get back to the car etc. are not tracked by anything. There are many theories about how our bodies react to diving, none are 100% accurate.

So be conservative no matter which method you end up using. Adjust if you dive in colder water (remember that RDP + 10 feet for cold water? Make sure you adjust your computers conservatism when diving colder water as well).

Finally, different computers give very different NDL's. Those variances are explained by the algorithms used and should give you pause before you start blindly trusting a piece of electronics with your well being.

:)

HTH

Bjorn

I'm definitely still a beginner, but I find I like to compare table numbers to computer numbers, even if it's a next thing. It means I should be sure I can do tables if it comes up, and it's interesting to see how the two compare.

fisherdvm:
Dive computers can also be a good teaching tool under water. I would not get it until after you have completed OW. Get a cheap second hand air one first (I ebayed one under $60), then advance to one for nitrox later.

It is nice to have two. One to back up the other. But I wouldn't waste money on it at first. I waited for nearly 12 years before spending money on one. But now, I wish I had one earlier.

Similar feelings here, except I waited 22 years to get one(dove last Oct for the 1st time with one & the 2nd time last week, don't really need one in my Roatan type diving but to each his own).......They are a neat little gadget though, another thing to throw in your bag of tricks.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom