Dive Comp for OW+AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reaver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

This is a question for the veterans. I'm taking an open water and advanced water course in succession, is it recommended to buy my own dive computer prior to taking both courses?

Hopefully, you'll be learning to dive using the tables, not a dive computer.

During the dives you will be on for your OW and AOW course, you will be under direct supervision from an instructor and will most likely be limited more by your air consumption than your no decompression limits. The NDL is not the only good reason to have a computer, but most of the other factors should be offset by the instructors supervision, for example accent rates.

In my opinion, once you are not under direct supervision anymore, a computer should be at the top of your list. If it were me, I would get one as soon as I was able.

Congratulations on becoming a diver.

Up to you - the computer is not necessary but could be useful on the AOW dives. On your OW certification dives you will need to demonstrate the understanding and use of the dive tables (or ERDP option for PADI), whether you have a computer or not.

Certainly once you are certified, the computer is very advantageous.

Dive computers can also be a good teaching tool under water. I would not get it until after you have completed OW. Get a cheap second hand air one first (I ebayed one under $60), then advance to one for nitrox later.

It is nice to have two. One to back up the other. But I wouldn't waste money on it at first. I waited for nearly 12 years before spending money on one. But now, I wish I had one earlier.

You will be learning your tables and demonstrating knowledge and dive planning using the tables during your classes. So no you don't need a computer for these classes and will be completing worksheets and profiles based on tables. Effective use and knowledge of the dive tables is a good thing for every diver to know. A computer is a very useful tool and is a good addition for your personal dive equipment.

If you are planning on getting a computer anyway, I would recommend you getting one between the OW and AOW classes. You can learn how to use each technique, computers and tables, during each phase of your training. The one thing I will always caution new divers on regarding computers is to insure that your knowledge and use of tables is good enough that you are never dependent on your computer while diving.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

AL

No need whatsoever. Concentrate on the basics while you make sure you have a future in diving. Meanwhile research models, brands and options.

If your instructor or LDS suggests otherwise run the other way.

Pete

spectrum:
If your instructor or LDS suggests otherwise run the other way.

Why run the other way? Instructors should know about different computers and can be a valuable source of information. If the OP is planning on buying a computer, why not get advice on different models?

I just had some OW students buy gear while they were taking their class. They got to use their own gear from the get-go and while I was there to help them with it. We spent plenty of time on decompression theory and tables but spent just as much time working through all the functions of their computer. Really, how many recreational divers do you see using tables only to dive with? If the OP isn't sure if diving is for him, then wait to buy the computer until you know for sure.

I recently taught a EAN class, I had the students bring in their computers so we could go over setting them to EAN Mode. One of the students found out THAT night that his computer wasn't EAN compatable. If I had been there helping him to pick one out, he would have known it was or wasn't compatable.

I have a question for Ann Marie since she is an instructor. Please forgive my ignorance as I have not taken AOW.

Scenario:

You and I agree to go on a dive. The dive is on a wreck with the bottom at 80ft. There is moderate current necessitating us using the line to descend and ascend. We are both using AL80s. Assume the wreck has 20ft of profile so we will be between 80 and 60ft during the dive.

During our pre-dive briefing, what would you suggest we use as a turn pressure for the dive? Please bear in mind, that even if something goes wrong, I am not interested in trying a CESA from 80ft, and I would set a requirement of being able to have both of us complete our three minute safety stop.

So again, at what pressure would you suggest we end the dive and begin our ascent?

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom