Dive Clubs: Why Aren't There More? Where Did They All Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the position that, despite there being numerous clubs in my area, I don't really want to join any at the moment.

I have a few reasons:
1) the local Padi based group charge £60.00/year to join and are 30-50% dearer on all courses so although I would get a lot of diving, I would pay through the nose for it.
2) BSAC is available but I would prefer to get my training a bit quicker than they do it - generally you have to wait until the club are scheduled to do a course. Also there have been a few issues that have come to light that I disagree with the position on.
3) Any shop I want to dive with has to appear professional and organised (not the case with a few other Padi locations close to me with what little gear they stock lying in an apparently disorganised mess on shelves and mess everywhere).

So meantime I will be diving with a not so local dive shop (the one I did my training with) who are very well organised with a very clean, tidy & well stocked shop.

Most of the dive clubs I have seen evidence a greater interest in the monthly pizza parlor gathering than they do in local diving.

Yes, many are more social in nature. The one I currently belong to is quite active, however. We have dives scheduled every single week-end ... often more than one group event happening on a given Saturday or Sunday ... plus regular weeknight dives. I think a lot of it depends on how available dive sites are to where you live. If diving's not convenient, the next best thing is to get together and talk about diving ... or maybe plan that next trip.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, many are more social in nature.

I have no problem with the social aspects of the clubs. But I barely have the room in my schedule to dive let alone hang out with admittedly nice people who are more interested in talking about diving than diving itself. Or, if they dive, do so in distant warm locales.

Ultimately, this is a comment on the aging population of divers.

I have no problem with the social aspects of the clubs. But I barely have the room in my schedule to dive let alone hang out with admittedly nice people who are more interested in talking about diving than diving itself. Or, if they dive, do so in distant warm locales.

This is actually the problem I have with a lot of dive clubs locally here and is why I'm not an active member of them currently. They would rather talk about diving than actually go diving. They organize bowling events, kayaking events, white water rafting trips, beach cleans up, wing/pizza nights and diver talks. Actual diving events, not so much... Admittedly the diver talks are usually very good. We have an entire ocean right next to us that people often forget about.

I like it spend my weekends diving rather than talking about diving. I try to dive mostly ever weekend and dive year-round. Last club I belonged to made me feel like a bit of a weirdo for being that "one crazy guy that dives every weekend in the winter." (exact phrasing, not mine..). I was a little ticked since there are plenty of people who dive year round here, they just don't belong to clubs and advertise it religiously.

Nowadays I use Facebook social groups and have a large network of dive buddies if i want a dive buddy. I'm happy to dive with newer and/or experienced divers.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Some of the most active divers I know are folks like me who are nearing retirement age ... and that's here in Puget Sound.

I think it depends on where you live, and how accessible diving is to you more than any other factor. We've got 16 people signed up for our dives on Saturday, at a fairly advanced dive site. I'd say more than half of them are over the age of 50.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't disagree that some of the more active divers are older. I am also in that category. But it is also true that some older divers slow down, or with the relative affluence and more leisure time typical of the older choose to dive in less challenging climes--an understandable decision.

If I was in your neck of the woods I would probably be in one of the clubs you describe.

About club owning boats/compressors- it depends. My first club owns a compressor, is not really active, although there are some trips from time to time. Membership is around 50€/year but you get free pool every Saturday/Sunday, tanks and air fills. My second club owns two compressors, air, nitrox, trimix, a boat, a combi van and a lot of dive equipment for members to use. Mostly it is local diving, on rivers or lakes,also a pool, twice a year we go to Adriatic sea, both fun diving and courses (scheduled trips),and some more trips on Adriatic if enough people wants to go, also some interesting places around Europe, like Austria lakes or Y40 in Italy. Usually, transportation expenses are on the club.

There's a few dive clubs in my area. Unfortunately they all seem to be associated closely with a local dive shop. Basically, the LDS set the clubs up or is propping the clubs up to sell stuff to the divers. Then the clubs usually am mount to regular land based meetings where they pitch the shop's already scheduled dive trips.

They work, and diving with the shops that run these clubs is okay. I'd really like to see an independent club pop up, though. Even if it meant paying dues.

For me the key to a dive club is training and mentoring. If those are not happening then you do not have a feed of people to replace those who have children, fall of their perch or find something else to do.

Here that means access to a pool, which is expensive. People then give up their time to ensure that they have buddies to fill boats in the future. If you really want to get to dive what yo like in the UK you either need a club boat or enough people to fill a charter. For serious offshore stuff a hard boat may be necessary. It take 10 or 12 to fill one which means some organisation is required. Boats do do individual spaces but only for a small minority of the dives.

I was thinking recently about the lack of a club system in the US. Given that probably a third of all the SB threads will refer to the demise of proper training and the agencies pandering to resort courses it would seem an obvious thing just to start doing it for yourselves.

Mentoring makes a huge difference. Learning from many people over a long time and in whose own interest it is that you can perform a rescue, not get it all wrong etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom