Dive Clubs: Why Aren't There More? Where Did They All Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have another club in our area that has been around for a fairly long time - from about 1987 I believe.
I used to belong to them, and also another one before that that completely disbanded years ago. The reasons I saw why they get lose members is one, because divers get old and quit and not many young people coming in to replace them, plus they tend to get very EXclusive with their core group and seem to only like new members for their annual dues so they can plan and do their own campouts, etc. Also, if there are young people getting into diving they club may be off their social radar being most dive clubs are comprised of old farts.
And then there's the monthly beer and pizza gathering to talk about diving, but then nobody ever goes diving as a club event, the core group ditches everyone and goes somewhere unannounced.
Then at the campouts where everyone seems to finally gather as a club to go diving for a few days up on the coast, the core group (with the boats) will decide to get up at the crack of dawn and make a run out to go salmon fishing, or better yet go 50 miles out to try for albacore.., and they are gone all day. People show up with the idea that they might get a ride on someone's boat to get to the good spots and it never happens. So as a result they wander off and feel used for dues.
Then like in my case when I started North Coast Divers, it went really well for several years. We had some great dives on our monthly planned dives. It was a challenge to hold it together. At various points I felt like it had been hijacked by some very overzealous types and I felt it was getting away from my original mission. But I just went with it to see where the natural progression took it. At one point we were the biggest club up here with sometimes in excess of 30 people showing up for Saturday dives, and for the annual big campout shindig we would get 50 -60 people show up.
But like I said, internet based can not always be so good. That's putting out to lot of people and I had some pretty strange stuff go on during the 6 or 7 year run I had the club. The problem is with the internet anybody can pretend to be anybody they want and talk a big game. When you meet someone in person you see it all within a few minutes with body language, etc. The internet doesn't give you that.

I can say one thing about clubs though. If it wasn't for various clubs I wouldn't be diving with a few really good guys I mostly dive with now. One of my best life long friends that came to one of my club parties in 2004 lives in L.A. and I have been in touch with him for years. We meet up for diving a few times a year or try to at least. And two other guys up here that were club members are my regular dive buddies. But it just so happened that we were all compatible and hit it off. And there are many others too that continue to be good friends long after I left the clubs.

In this area it seems that freediving/hunting clubs really are huge. Whenever you get a group of guys and gals that all have a similar interest, that tends to be the glue that holds the club together. In their case it's all about killing fish.
With scuba clubs there always seems to be a few polar opposite forces involved within the club like: Some like to hunt, some hate hunters, some are photogs and are worthless as buddies, some have boats, some don't, not everyone want's to beach dive, some people only want to beach dive, some are into tech, others are not into tech, some are control freaks and want to run everything - and some don't like to be told what to do or to be told that whatever they are doing is wrong...so how do you organize all this? it's like herding cats.
So then what happens is certain divers in the club will begin to hang out with like minded divers and before you know it you have the formation of a clique.
Then they end up diving together as buddies on their own and the club just lost two or more members. Why would they pay $50 -$60 a year to go once a month to Round Table to drink beer and eat pizza? (which they have to pay for anyway), they're not going to dive with any of those people again.

So this is what I see, at least around here.

The group I tend to dive with aren't a formal club, more a loosely knit group of divers that formed around Wet Wednesday dives organized by a LDS. In addition to the Wednesday dives, there are frequent boat dives organized during the summer and frequent less formal get-togethers / buddying to dive. There is a fair bit of dive talk, but it is post dive over beer and pizza or this time of year apres ski.

One contributing factor I’ve seen to a dive club’s demise (a non-shop run type club with all volunteers), is club officer burn out. When these officers, who are key to having a fun well run club get’s burned out, or leaves because of it, it can create a domino effect of low morale. In addition if that club officer who leaves holds a position which cannot be replaced by one of the members, the club may even end up disbanding. My take on it is, good people in the club is important, but good club officers are the key to a long running dive club.

But like what Dennis Miller used to say, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Both of the clubs I currently belong to have little trouble attracting younger, newer divers. Perhaps the biggest reason is because they both put an emphasis on mentoring new divers. One club has it as a formal program called "Big Buddy". More experienced members sign up to mentor a new diver for a year ... which attracts new divers. The other club is less formal, but has a core of older divers who are happy to pair up with new divers during the club's regularly-scheduled weekly dives.

The biggest reason any new diver wants to join a club is to find people to dive with. And the easiest way for any club to thrive is to make that easy to happen. As for club officers, the current club president for the former of the two clubs I mentioned was one of those new divers three years ago. Bringing new membership, energy, and ideas into the club is the key to keeping it successful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The club that used to be in our area basically fizzed out. It went from a club that dives & drinks a little to a club that drinks & dives a little. Not that I am at all against drinking,... but that is literally what it became & with that, many families opted to drop out, because it had become excessive. In thew Mid West, most clubs don't make it much over 5 yrs,... that was the case here. Everyone had good ideas to promote diving,... but no one was willing to get off their duffs to make it happen. When it finally died, there were only 2 paid members (on the board of 5)....

I dunno man, are dive clubs disappearing?

In Sydney there used to be at least 11 independent (from dive shops) clubs. Now there are only 5 as far as I can see. Of these, only one is very active (the one I am in) and a couple of others have perhaps one dive a weekend.

Our club has 153 members, we have about 10 boats (all owned by individuals) and we own nothing but a banner. Our membership fee is $40 pa. For this, you can get at least two boat dives (when the club pays the fuel for the private boats) with associated BBQ, a Christmas dive and party, probably a dozen other dives with BBQs as well as a BBQ subsidy for any weekend trips away. We have at least one planned boat dive each weekend, one planned boat dive every Wednesday, a shore night dive every Thursday night and many other unplanned dives (organised via email or our club Facebook page).

A couple of years ago we hit over 200 members but we decided this was too big so we put the fees up from $25 to deter some people renewing. It did, but as I pointed out, you can get your money back by just attending one boat dive.

As I mentioned, the number of clubs has dropped bout about half, but then again, so has the number of dive shops in Sydney.

I love the idea of BSAC, having dived with a couple of clubs on trips to the UK.

In Sydney there used to be at least 11 independent (from dive shops) clubs. Now there are only 5 as far as I can see. Of these, only one is very active (the one I am in) and a couple of others have perhaps one dive a weekend.

Our club has 153 members, we have about 10 boats (all owned by individuals) and we own nothing but a banner. Our membership fee is $40 pa. For this, you can get at least two boat dives (when the club pays the fuel for the private boats) with associated BBQ, a Christmas dive and party, probably a dozen other dives with BBQs as well as a BBQ subsidy for any weekend trips away. We have at least one planned boat dive each weekend, one planned boat dive every Wednesday, a shore night dive every Thursday night and many other unplanned dives (organised via email or our club Facebook page).

A couple of years ago we hit over 200 members but we decided this was too big so we put the fees up from $25 to deter some people renewing. It did, but as I pointed out, you can get your money back by just attending one boat dive.

As I mentioned, the number of clubs has dropped bout about half, but then again, so has the number of dive shops in Sydney.

I love the idea of BSAC, having dived with a couple of clubs on trips to the UK.
It sounds like they have a lot more leanient rules about private boats and the fine line between boat chartering. Here it is illegal to charge anyone for a boat ride in any way shape or form because then they consider it a charter for hire, therefore the coastguard would have to inspect the vessel and the operator would also have to be licenced for the amount of passengers. Plus they would have to be insured.
People have gotten in serious trouble even at the rinse down station when the coast guard is there and overhears someone arguing about who needs to pay up for gas.
They have relaxed the rules somewhat about friends pitching in for gas, but it wasn't always like that.
But in a club situation like you describe with people paying with guarantees to boat rides, we could never get away with that here.
One of the reasons I tightened up who I let on my boat was because of a fear of litigation. If for instance someone I didn't know very well got hurt because they did something silly, I would have been on the hook because they were on my boat and I enabled them. I saw it as worth it to reduce the amount of people I dive with drastically down to just a few very good friends, instead of running the risk of a lifetime of financial ruin.

I am in the position that, despite there being numerous clubs in my area, I don't really want to join any at the moment.

I have a few reasons:

1) the local Padi based group charge £60.00/year to join and are 30-50% dearer on all courses so although I would get a lot of diving, I would pay through the nose for it.

2) BSAC is available but I would prefer to get my training a bit quicker than they do it - generally you have to wait until the club are scheduled to do a course. Also there have been a few issues that have come to light that I disagree with the position on.

3) Any shop I want to dive with has to appear professional and organised (not the case with a few other Padi locations close to me with what little gear they stock lying in an apparently disorganised mess on shelves and mess everywhere).

So meantime I will be diving with a not so local dive shop (the one I did my training with) who are very well organised with a very clean, tidy & well stocked shop.
Hi Neilwood,

I'm the Diving Officer of Fyne-divers, a BSAC Branch. In answer to your questions:

1. With BSAC you decide what training you want. You can continue with PADI or take the next BSAC course. I could run the lectures over a weekend, most of the practical lessons can be done when we go diving. One lesson and one fun dive (or the other way round). Then there are the regional session held every month (only in South Scotland). The only additional cost is the training materials, instruction comes with your annual membership; currently £56.50 (BSAC) and £7 (Fyne-divers).

2. I covered the speed of training in 1. For diving there is no banned configuration, the only requirement if you dive a Primary Donate set-up is you have had formal training on it. What other issues have you got?

3. The only kit the Branch has is O2, an AED and a few compressors, everything else you'll have to provide yourself. We go diving not waste a lot of time training 'warm water' divers. I'm out again tomorrow.

So where about in Scotland are you based.

Kind regards

We go diving not waste a lot of time training 'warm water' divers. I'm out again tomorrow.

Kind regards

I'm a great advocate of the UK club system whether SAA or BSAC.
I learned via PADI in Mexico and then joined an SAA club. A warm water diver who went over to cold water.
The vast majority of clubs welcome new people whatever their diving background. Given your background you should not be making statements like that Edward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom