Dive Charters in Tampa, Friday early afternoon or sat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darkhog

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm flying into Tampa tonight and was thinking about trying to schedule a last minute dive. I haven't been to the Tampa area before, so I don't know the chances of this coming together. I could do after 11am on Friday or morning Saturday. Could someone recommend a good charter? I'd need to rent gear as well. Recommendations?

Thanks,

dave

So sorry no one got back with you. Did you do any diving while you were in town? If so, with what store or charter?

Hope you had a good time while you were in town!

Thanks for the reply!

I had a great time, but wasn't able to find any diving. We had a great time going fishing instead. Talking to our boat captain, he seemed to think sharks were more dangerous in the FL area and advised against getting in the water. He thought there were a few incidents a year. Do scuba divers tend to have problems with sharks in Florida?

Thanks for the reply!

I had a great time, but wasn't able to find any diving. We had a great time going fishing instead. Talking to our boat captain, he seemed to think sharks were more dangerous in the FL area and advised against getting in the water. He thought there were a few incidents a year. Do scuba divers tend to have problems with sharks in Florida?

Don't believe everything you hear. Statistically, this site claims there are more shark attacks in Florida but you have to keep in mind that the entire state is surrounded by water: FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks. Pinellas Country has had 12 reported shark attacks since 1882, 2 of which were fatal and the last fatality was 1988. While there aren't stats on divers specifically, I would venture to say that the majority of these attacks were beach goers and not divers. In the Tampa area we do have Bull Sharks which are mainly shallow water hunters and can be frequently seen in low visibility. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_shark

People drown far more frequently than there are shark attacks. To say diving in Florida is dangerous due to sharks is absurd, it's no less safe than any other salt water dive. Do we see sharks while diving in Tampa? Sure, but not very often.

I've dove plenty of times and run in to sharks while diving and spear fishing.... I've yet to get bothered by any of them, even with fish on my stringer. Once or twice one got closer than I was happy about but i'd poke it with the gun and it would take off.

Another time I was with friend and they were spearing and I had my camera... I'd start swimming after it to get a pic and the thing wouldn't let me within 20' of it

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom