Dive Charters Calling Off a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I publish my cancellation policy on my web page and in my charter brochure. I leave myself enough leeway that I can take a group out that I think can handle moderately challenging conditions if they want to go or cancel a trip with newbies who I don't think are ready for marginal weather.

Well I would have been glad that the boat didn't cancel, given the conditions you state. It's something you have to decide yourself if the charter won't cancel. Even if it means no refund it's better to call the dive than do something you feel is unsafe.

I haven't been out in a boat that I have felt has pushed it a bit with the weather but I have a high tolerance for bad weather. I like the fact that there are charters that have different tolerances for weather. Some go out in all kinds of conditions and that suits me but if I am diving with someone new or who gets seasick I'll pick a charter that is more likely to cancel if the weather is iffy.

Before each dive I look up all the weather info to see what to expect. Most charters will give a refund if you cancel more than 24 hours out and locally to me you can get a pretty good idea of the weather a day before.

Exactly! The dive operation/boat captain cancels based on the amount of liability he/she/they are willing to assume. It's not about you, it's about lawyers.

Whether or not you dive should be based on your assesment of the conditions and your experience/skill/physical capability. Deciding to dive or not dive based on what the operator decides is a bad way to guage things. And if the operator/captain calls the dive, you should probably thank them for keeping you safe, although they probably could give a rip about you. They just don't want to get sued by someone who gets hurt because they chose to dive in conditions above their own ability.

Remember, you need neither a c-card nor a chartered boat to go diving. You can go buy gear and take your own boat and dive any time you want, wherever you want, in any conditions you want. Certification organizations and chartered crews and vessels are conveniences operated by people who incur liabilities associated with the activities that make them money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom