Dive Charter Safety Practices During the Covid Pandemic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The following are the safety practices for promoting diver safety from Covid-19 that was obtained from a dive charter. On the surface this sounds like a good plan. Other than omitting plans for camera and mask wash tanks, this sounds like a good plan. I’d love to hear what other dive ops are doing to eliminate, if not, minimize risks from Covid-19.

Ideally everyone should be using best-practices.... but what are they!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dear Guests,
While we adapt to the changes COVID-19 has brought and wait for the day we can put this pandemic behind us, we are, at least, thrilled to provide you with the opportunity to join us.

In our efforts to reduce contact and possible transmissions, crew will be using Steramine and spray on all surfaces after every charter. Crew will also clean the head (bathroom) after every usage. Food and water will be handed to guests by crew members. Food will be of the prepackaged variety such as granola bars.

We will also be maintaining a strict maximum of 8 passengers per charter (normally 16). We do ask that guests adhere to the following:
• Masks will be worn throughout the duration of the charter, except during the process of gearing up and down before and after your dives.
• Divers on the main deck must gear up and down in groups of no more than 4 at a time.
• When returning from a dive, if there are more than 4 divers in scuba gear on the deck, please do feel free to remove your weights and cylinders, but then proceed directly either into the cabin or to the upper deck. Once a spot frees up on the main deck, you may return to the main deck to complete gearing down.
• If you wish to gear up partially in an area other than the main deck, you may do so provided that social distancing measures continue to be maintained.
• Individuals will maintain a 6 foot social distancing radius when not in scuba gear or in the process of gearing up and gearing down.
• Please do not crowd the dive platform. Please remain seated or standing in your approximate gear area until the diver on the platform has entered the water. A crew member will notify you when you may proceed to the platform.
• At all times, please give priority to those divers who are injured or are in some way limited in their ability to function (e.g. fatigue, stress, overheated, etc.).
• Please notify a crew member if you have used the head as we are required to sanitize it following each usage.
o For the same reason, please try to minimize usage of the head if at all possible.
(That being said, do not hesitate to use it should you need to!)
• Food and water will be made available after every dive. If you would like either, we are happy to provide it to you, but please request it from a crew member rather than retrieving it yourself. This minimizes the amount of contact and risk of cross- contamination that might occur

We fully appreciate that these restrictions and requirements present some annoyance and inconvenience. However, we hope you will agree that we are doing so only as part of our country's efforts to help limit the spread of COVID, while enabling us to continue to practice the sport we love.

Is this a Great Lakes charter op? There are bits in there that make me think it’s my local charter op.

I suppose all of this can work-- at least as well as all the rules we see when in supermarkets. Personally it seems like way too much bother for me, but I only usually solo shore dive anyway and most of the sites here have very few people around. I know others don't have that option.

If this is indeed a Great Lakes charter op, you wouldn’t find mask or camera rinse buckets. Fresh water dives. No need for it.

Not to nit-pick but four divers on the main deck but no guidance for divers in the cabin. Will be on a larger boat Monday. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Not diving related but possibly relevant. My daughter is going to summer camp soon. As a condition of showing up all parents must ceritfy that their child has been quarantined for 14 days leading up to camp and are symptom free, or they may get a COVID-19 test and quarantine for 7 days prior to arrival.

Seems like a reasonable precaution to ensure that all the campers are not infected. Also seems like something that may work for liveaboards. I'll admit it depends entirely on the honesty of those participating (which in this day and age may be a reasonable critique), and that no-one got infected while traveling to the camp or live a board (also a risk). But these kinds of measures, along with reasonable cleaning and social distancing measures seem prudent and reasonable.

Not diving related but possibly relevant. My daughter is going to summer camp soon. As a condition of showing up all parents must ceritfy that their child has been quarantined for 14 days leading up to camp and are symptom free, or they may get a COVID-19 test and quarantine for 7 days prior to arrival.

Seems like a reasonable precaution to ensure that all the campers are not infected. Also seems like something that may work for liveaboards. I'll admit it depends entirely on the honesty of those participating (which in this day and age may be a reasonable critique), and that no-one got infected while traveling to the camp or live a board (also a risk). But these kinds of measures, along with reasonable cleaning and social distancing measures seem prudent and reasonable.
Yeah I was thinking about something like that. Maybe that's what pro sports leagues are considering for all the team atheletes so they can resume some sort of play. A better idea would be to have all divers who sign up for any type of boat charter to be tested for the virus and submit proof of that. But I have no idea how easily that would be doable with all the different info. out on the ability to test people.
The 14 day quarentine on the honour system-- yeah, right......

The idea of masks on a dive boat sounds good but the reality might be different. Most concerning is that cloth and surgical masks not only lose their barrier protection when damp, in at least one study, they actually increase the risk of infection for the wearer. Keep in mind too that using a mask correctly takes some small effort, especially if you are not accustomed to masks, and the conditions on a dive boat may make this even more difficult. And last, it’s an outdoor activity with excellent air circulation :) at least while underway, possibly negating much of the benefit as well.

The user created mask arena is definitely an interesting one. I have seen some dooseys. Not to mention all the folks wearing then under their nose. If they don't wanna do it, that is one thing. But wearing one without a modicum of thought is a bit like wearing an IQ tag. Or a Jeff Foxworthy sign.

Back
Top Bottom