Dive Caddy Gen3 Opinions and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaND

Contributor
Reaction score
I just received my Dive Caddy Gen3. I got it to use on my trip to Coz in a few weeks. When I first picked it up from UPS and they handed me the box I asked them if this was the only box because I was expecting a larger box. When I got it home and opened it up I was very impressed with the construction of everything. My only concern with the entire thing will be to see how the zippers hold up but it does exactly what Chad says it does. It fits a lot of gear. I will be doing a more detailed video down the road but wanted to get a few pictures and a short video posted here for others to view. In this video I have the the clothes bag attached with nothing in it, my boots along with a wetsuit, Aquabionic Warp1 size regular fins, and the Aqualung Axiom size medium bcd. As you will be able to tell in the video, I still have plenty of room to pack a lot of other gear in. I am very excited to see how it works on the trip and I will try to get pictures and videos while traveling to update everyone when I get home. Below is a video along with a few pictures. I apologize but I can not figure out how to rotate these photos on scubaboard. If anyone knows how to rotate these in SB please let me know and I will get them rotated.

Thanks,

https://vimeo.com/86836056

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Thanks for the informative update and video. If your photos are in the ScubaBoard gallery, you can edit (rotate) by clicking edit photo and the "rotate CW and rotate CCW" controls are in the upper right corner of the screen.

I have attempted to correct my existing photos but I was unable to. I am reposting them so everyone doesnt have to tilt your head to view them :).

photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 2.jpg

My question about the Dive Caddy is, will the US carriers allow it consistently as a carry on? One of our local shops has them on display and, empty, they do not meet the size requirements of the TSA for a carry on. I have taken a backpack on a lot of trips and this past January, I took the same pack to LAX as a carry on and on the return flight I was made to check it because it would not fit into the box they have at every check in to try your carry on.

I didnt have any issues with it. I can't guarantee you that you are going to be able to check it with every single flight in the US but it is tough to judge the true dimensions with just looking at the bag. The bag does a very good job compressing stuff and when I did the measurement with all my stuff in it, it came in very close to the legal US carrier sizes.

Interesting
What are your plans for regs, mask, dive computer, save a dive kit etc.?

I carried a regulator bag which carried everything in it. Mask, snorkel, computer, regs, gopro, gopro lights and trays.

The Dive Caddy does come with a turtle pack they call it which can carry all your stuff too that clips on the tops.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 02:08 PM ----------

Dive Caddy Travel Bag System for Scuba Diving Diver Divers Gear Equipment Bag - Dive Caddy - Luggage & Gear Bag - Seavenger | Scuba Gear, Diving Equipment & Snorkeling - FREE SHIPPING

This will show you the turtle pack like I described to you.

Thank you for sharing your review. What length are your fins? That seems to be where many backpack-style bags come up short (so to speak).

My question about the Dive Caddy is, will the US carriers allow it consistently as a carry on?

The short answer is no. Their website used to give tips on not getting caught. To fit within airline specs you need to select your gear with care, especially the fins.

So I have now used my Dive Caddy Gen 2 on several trips all to Belize. Using just the wrap around main portion I have had no problems and it does fit the airline standard. BUT, if you add the turtle pack on top and the external pack on the back it's likely that it will be too large. The airline I fly caught this once, and all I had to do is attach the external pack on my back pack that I use for computer gear, and they were fine with it. If you over pack and the Dive Caddy is all bulging then you are likely not to be able to carry on, it will be either too big or too heavy. I have been very pleased with DiveCaddy, but I pack it to conform to the airline rules, not to get around the rules. And yes I usually have checked luggage to carry typical luggage items that are less valuable and easily replaceable clothes and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom