Dive Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park, Portland CT Aug 13-14, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Brownstone Exploration and Discover Park in Portland, CT will be available for diving.

Saturday, August 13th Gates Open 8am, Out of Water by 3:30pm, Gates Closed 4pm
Sunday, August 14th Gates Open 8 am, Out of Water by 3:30pm, Gates Closed 4pm

$10 donation to dive, per day
Guests and non-divers, no charge
Waivers and c-cards as usual
BYOG - Bring your own grill and grub
Surface support, check in and saftey staff provided.
Kayaks = good (as long as you bring a PFD)

This is a fun dive weekend, no considerable trash removal, as we do not plan to have a dumpster on site.

If you do not have a buddy, we will find you one. If you are not familiar with the site, we will provide an orientation or a buddy familiar "the good spots" upon request. :D Remind us when you arrive that you are new to the site, also let us know if you are a new diver.

As always please feel free to RSVP, or just show up. Frank.. esi2spy@aol.com.
Frank likes his coffee black with two sugars :wink:

The Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park invites all certified divers and guests to a weekend of enjoying the future site of its full-featured freshwater diving facility.

A National Historic Landmark
The 40 acre brownstone quarries with its class A freshwater (70 to 90 feet deep in places) will offer scuba divers the only full featured freshwater diving park within 155 miles.

While in the early stages of development, the Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park will soon offer:
Advanced Sports Park for the Whole Family
Full featured scuba diving park
Water park attractions for all ages
Canoe, kayak and equipment rentals
Bring It To Life science program
School and corporate advanced learning programs
Climbing walls with fixed gear
Campground with full facilities
High & low ropes courses
Onsite food, gift and clothing sales
Self-improvement and team building courses

Pictures of the Portland Brownstone Quarry

Conditions
In the shallows, down to 15-20', expect balmy temps in the mid to high 70s, lots of plant growth and fish. Below this it's in the mid 50s down to 30-35 feet, where it begins to get much colder and darker ~40deg. Basically, it drops 7 degrees every 10'. If you have a light, don't hesitate to bring it. Dive flags are not needed as the only boats in the area are operated by diver-knowledgable "captains" in the US Portland Volunteer Navy.

The fish in the warm, clear shallows are getting HUGE! Tons to see here above 25' even.

Accomodations/Camping
For those wishing to stay over Saturday night, some local hotels are:
Inn at Middletown 800-637-9851
Radisson in Cromwell 860-635-2000
Days Inn in Cromwell 800-329-7466
Howard Johnson in Rocky Hill (across from Scuba Shack) 860-529-3341
For camping:
http://markhammeadows.com/
http://www.nelsonscampground.com/

For directions: Mapblast 200 Brownstone Ave, Portland, CT
Map of area

Frank,
Is this the one that got away? :D

IMG_0007_Small_.JPG

For some reason I couldn't get my posts to work when I tried with this. :06:

IMG_0011_Small_.JPG

Ken, and Jim, Had a ball diving today. The wives stayed and kyaked the whole time,
(no guilt!) When Chris and I get back from Vegas, lets do another day trip. This time on Saturday, and earlier! Oh yeah, Frank, Thanks much for the extra time... you ARE,,the man

I can't believe no one has gotten a picture of those giant fish down their. I swear they are the biggest fresh water fish I've ever seen and possibly bigger then the tautog in R.I.

Chris

ScubaSarus:
I can't believe no one has gotten a picture of those giant fish down their. I swear they are the biggest fresh water fish I've ever seen and possibly bigger then the tautog in R.I.

Chris

Not because of a lack of trying. Every time I have gotten close they just dart away. We didn't see them yesterday because we were on the other side of the peninsula. Dbg40 pointed you out at the quarry, I walked to the water just before him but it was toooo hot to stop. Next time I see you there I will make a point to say Hi.

Frank thanks for the extra time, I really wanted to kill that last tank.

They can be approached. Gotta do it very very slowly, right above, but not in the silt layer, in six feet, of water, and it helps if you can refrain from breathing. I've managed to get very close to some of these guys.

Too bad my camera is in the shop.

Are we suggesting a reward for a first picture of those large fish. I don't believe what I saw; I need a picture. I'll stop back again sometime ctmax and in about a month will look to do a Westhill Lake dive.

Take care

ctmax:
Frank,
Is this the one that got away? :D

IMG_0007_Small_.JPG
Thats the one I caught. From the look on his face he is pissed.

ctmax:
For some reason I couldn't get my posts to work when I tried with this. :06:

IMG_0011_Small_.JPG

Ken-

Did you take these pictures?!? Awesome! I didn't even know you had a camera!

Back
Top Bottom