Dive boat etiquette - list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every dive boat with a head that I've been on has provided a wastebasket where you deposit all toilet paper, no matter what is on it. Toilet paper WILL clog a head.
Not to mention suck for anyone who happen to be in the the water where it floats off to, which brings along another piece of etiquette..
Dont take a **** when the boat is moored up..

Marine tiolet paper can go in the head. Regular toilet paper should not. We always have marine toilet paper on board and brief customers as such and knock on wood we have yet to have a clog. Paying attention to the briefing is one that should be stressed. Take the few minutes to stop putting your gear together and pay attention. I can't tell you how many times I have to repeat stuff covered in the briefing because someone was too busy futzing with gear to pay attention during the briefing.

Reactions: RJP
Dont take a **** when the boat is moored up..

Nope, find yourself a nice coral head to hide behind and take care of your business there.

cbrich you may want to check and see what the definition of tipping is. There are very very very very very (or should I say VERY) few instances of situations where tipping is mandatory. About the only one I can think of is when you have a large party go to a restaurant and they automatically add a certain percentage tip to your bill. In that case, it because a part of the bill itself and is no longer a tip, in my opinion at least. Not sure if these places would have a leg to stand on if challenged on this issue but I guess if I had a major problem with it I would just not go there with a large party or would challenge the practice. If I were to receive deplorable service at a in one of those situations I have a serious discussion with the owner/manager. I have found in these situations that the amount usually ends up being less than I would have tipped otherwise but that is their problem I guess.

As far as boat crews doing things behind the scenes, well that is what they get paid for is it not? They should be paid a wage for providing certain services and if it is a behind the scenes service he should be paid for it or, as with bus boys, those that are doing the out front service and do get tips should share with them with the person behind the scenes. Employs should be paid an amount to do their job and then should do it. IF they provide great service or go above and beyond what is expected they should be tipped accordingly. If they provide average service, perhaps a small tip is in order but perhaps not even that if they are just doing the bare minimum that the job requires.

It is pretty simple really. Tips are not mandatory but in fact an attempt to reward and encourage exemplary service. NOT just doing the job, but doing it very well.

What constitutes doing a job so well that a tip is in order? Well, that is left to the judgement of the one giving the tip and NOT to ANYONE else, including the employer of the person in question.

As far as boat crews doing things behind the scenes, well that is what they get paid for is it not? They should be paid a wage for providing certain services and if it is a behind the scenes service he should be paid for it or, as with bus boys, those that are doing the out front service and do get tips should share with them with the person behind the scenes. Employs should be paid an amount to do their job and then should do it. IF they provide great service or go above and beyond what is expected they should be tipped accordingly.

You're ignoring the reality that - by and large - here in the US boat crews are not paid anything but tips. You can argue whether that is "right" but it is reality.

Before you say "that's between the boat and the crew, the boat should pay the crew, why should I have to make up the difference?" Here's some more reality for you. For typical day charters, if the crew was paid the equivalent of "$10 a tank" your trip would probably end up costing you $20 a tank more. Why? Because the boat would have to bear the overhead of processing payroll, pay payroll tax, etc, etc, etc. An increase in operating cost is going to be passed on to the customer in the form of a increase in charter cost.

So the reality is that without tips the crew would earn NOTHING. Do you think what the crew does for passengers is worth SOMETHING? Or should they do what they do for you out of the goodness of their heart?

If you agree that the crew's time/toil is worth something, would you prefer to tip $20 on top of a $100 charter price... or be absolved of the need to tip, but have the up-front charter price rise from $100 to $130 to cover the cost of the boat paying the crew?

Last edited:
I am usually a very generous tipper. People who live off tips work hard for that money. I do tip less for poor service and once or twice at a restauraunt, left a dollar just to let the server know I hadn't 'forgotten'. I also leave notes on the receipt - awesome service, nice smile, don't ignore me next time.

That said, if you tell me I HAVE to tip, it better be included in the bill and you should not expect a penny more. This is a pet peeve. If I'm paying for a large party, I'll even ask the waitress to leave the mandatory tip off letting her know that I will take care of her/him if they do.

Two tank dives last week... $30-$40 a day tip. They earned it.

Dinner at the restaurant I am at right now... Maybe 12-15%... If the waitress ever stops by so I can get the check...

Two tank dives last week... $30-$40 a day tip. They earned it.

On behalf of my fellow crew-members, please allow me to extend an invitation to dive with us aboard the Gypsy Blood any time you come to NJ!

:d

Most people I know who argue about not tipping are super needy, never worked low paying jobs and generally feel entitled in many aspects of life. The most vocal "friend" who does this is a trust fund kid who has been spoiled and not had to work his entire life. I really don't care about their opinions regarding tipping, I look down on their cheapness. It'd be cool to identify these people up front so the crew could give them the minimum assistance they deserve.
I wish boats had a no smoking policy.
Keep out of other peoples space, especially when gearing up.
Don't comment about other peoples gear unless you think it's really going to kill them and are experienced. Maybe the guy in a breather or doubles actually knows what he's doing and you possibly didn't cover that equipment in AOW.

Back
Top Bottom