Dive boat etiquette - list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhillyDave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's that time of year for diving in New Jersey. I like to review this list at our Philadelphia Sea Horses Dive Club meeting and share them with the board. Most of these "rules" apply anywhere. Feel free to add anything you think I'm missing.

Thanks!

Dave from Scubadelphia - Stop by and we'll order cheesesteaks!

Dive Boat etiquette

Booking-Pay for your spot even if you oversleep or had a death in the family otherwise it comes out of the dive shop’s or charter’s money. They are small businesses that rely on your word that you will show up. Give ample notice if you need to cancel-48 hours or whatever their policy is- so your spot can be filled. If you don’t you may not be invited on other dives.

Tipping-like the ride tip the guide. Tipping isn’t a city in China. $5 per tank minimum
Rinse buckets- 1 for cameras one for masks. Don’t put a snotty mask in mask bucket
Ladders- are different on every boat. Get a briefing on climbing onboard.
Head (flushing, puking) The crew should tell you procedures for the head
If it didn’t go through you it doesn’t go in the toilet(except tp)
Bow is the front
Stern is the back
Milk crate-your gear should fit in a small space
Using lines- ascend/descend on up/down lines. Use wreck reels if necessary
½ hour early-DO NOT SHOW UP AT 7AM FOR A 7AM DEPARTURE you need time to set up gear, listen to a briefing and sign some forms.
bring YOUR gear
fill out liability forms in a timely manner
seasickness- take something if you are prone, don’t puke into the wind
look before you enter the water
Run times-know your mix and don’t deco unless you are planning for it
Roll call-answer for yourself only
Sit in your own seat
Only touch your gear
Spearguns-unloaded until you reach depth. Don’t poke anyone. Don’t hand it back onboard loaded or point first.
Fish sizes in regulation- no lobster with eggs on them – fish in season
If emergencies happen work within your scope of training
Strap your tanks down so they don’t fall off the holder through the floor
Keep dry areas dry
Come back with 500psi at least or whatever the policy is.

I agree, with a few comments

- bow is the front, stern is the back -- not really etiquette, just general boat information, I'll go ahead and add starboard is right, and port is left (when facing the bow).

- my gear does not fit into a milk crate, although I agree that all gear should fit into as small of a space as possible.

- look before you enter the water, I agree completely, but would add: after entering the water, signal OK, then get out of the way (unless doing negative entry)

I would add: Keep out of other people's space.

Correction: Do not put toilet paper in the head, unless you enjoy unclogging it.

I don't use lines to descend and ascend.

My gear won't fit in a milk crate, but I'm very good at keeping it organized and in one spot.

I agree with the rest, but would add, don't smoke near me.

Smoking is a good one. The milk crate (because the boats are small transformed fishing vessels) and descent/ascent line thing as well as some other stuff on there are primarily for diving NJ and NY- when you have 5 feet of viz you need reference lines. Sit in your own seat and don't touch other people's gear covers staying out of other people's spaces. Keep up the good responses!

Dave from Scubadelphia.com Stop by and we'll order cheesesteaks!

Sorry, tipping is far from mandatory and there is no minimum or maximum involved when it is done. This idea that one MUST tip certain people is getting out of hand. Tips are for those that we feel give us great service. If the service is below average of totally sucks I am NOT tipping. In my opinion tipping for average or below average service simply insures that the service will NOT improve. It should be reserved for those that meet a standard that we want to continue. I realize that my stand is not politically correct.....but then, I dont really strive to be politically correct :)

Head (flushing, puking) The crew should tell you procedures for the head

Do NOT NOT NOT run into the boat to puke in the head. You will try to make it to the head. You probably won't make it, or you'll find someone else in there. Puke over the rail, on the leeward side ideally, but over the rail nonetheless. Worse comes to worse, puke on the deck... we can easily hose it off. If you puke in the salon or cabin on your ill-fated attempt to get to the head... it's much harder to clean, and not comfortable for your fellow passengers.

As for flushing... salt water is free. Flush early. Flush often. Then flush some more. Then flush some more.

If you clog the head with the condom cath you took off your pee-valve... you will become an "honorary crew member" and will be provided with a set of wrenches and other necessary tools to fix the head while the remaining passengers berate you.

:)

You stink! Do you know what the crew makes just so they can dive for free and help your butt back onto the boat, take your fins off and KEEP YOU ALIVE?? I guess you are Mr Pink from "Reservoir Dogs". How could you argue against $5 per tank? I put this up mostly for Nj diving where the crew usually has other jobs but if you goto the islands you better be tipping because like bartenders they depend on that as 50-60% of their income. If they suck $5 per tank is the MINIMUM. If you can't afford it than don't dive.

---------- Post added ----------

Make sure you brief PUKING and use of the head! Some people don't even know what the term "head" is on a boat. Haha! Hope to get on the GB one of these days. Been using the John Jack and Dina Dee.

---------- Post added ----------

Laurie...Where else would we put TP especially if it has **** on it? eww.

You stink! Do you know what the crew makes just so they can dive for free and help your butt back onto the boat, take your fins off and KEEP YOU ALIVE?? I guess you are Mr Pink from "Reservoir Dogs". How could you argue against $5 per tank? I put this up mostly for Nj diving where the crew usually has other jobs but if you goto the islands you better be tipping because like bartenders they depend on that as 50-60% of their income. If they suck $5 per tank is the MINIMUM. If you can't afford it than don't dive.

If they depend on it as part of their income, perhaps they should strive to provide excellent service. Just showing up for work isn't good enough - should not be good enough - to earn a tip. Unless of course you are in a union, but that is a whole other discussion. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom