Dive boat etiquette - list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, tipping is far from mandatory and there is no minimum or maximum involved when it is done. This idea that one MUST tip certain people is getting out of hand. Tips are for those that we feel give us great service. If the service is below average of totally sucks I am NOT tipping. In my opinion tipping for average or below average service simply insures that the service will NOT improve. It should be reserved for those that meet a standard that we want to continue. I realize that my stand is not politically correct.....but then, I dont really strive to be politically correct :)

Also let them know why you are not tipping! Some people to get subtle messages, they need to be told their service was bad. And so far I haven't meet a crew that I felt that was necessary.

Last edited:
I appreciate the crew and will tip because they take care of me from the moment I wander into the salon for breakfast to the Baileys and hot towel after the night dive ( and that is a long day for a crew I would imagine ) The two things that drive me nuts are people and/or crew sitting on the stairs and people who are impatient getting into the boat after the dive. You have to give the person on the ladder time to get up, just hang on the line and give them space ( in case they fall backwards )
I know that the crew needs down time they usually hang up in the bow.
You don't need to eat every meal across from the same person, try sitting next to a total stranger instead of your spouse. By the end of the cruise you are all sitting next to pretty good friends anyway.

Here I have one for the etiquette list if its not already mentioned...

If youre not ready to turn your tank on and analyze the contents - DONT HOG THE FRIGGIN ANALYZER!
You DONT need to hold on to the analyzer while changing tanks and doffing the wetsuit, let people whos ready to use it have it in the meanwhile and save everyone some time.
(Yeah, It did infact piss me off on my last trip)

+1 - Sit in your own seat, don't sit in my and lean all over my rig, sit on my reg, etc.
+1 - Only touch your gear, see above.
+1 - Keep your mask out of the camera bucket, PLEASE !!

TIPPING - If it's a great day and great service, yes. The minute you ask or "announce" tips for the crew are "encouraged & appreciated", etc., forget it because it ain't gonna happen. That really burns my bum. HOWEVER, if you are the crew person that has ever so gently handled my $6000 camera rig all day, in and out of the water and camera bucket, you are getting a very nice little "gift" at the end of the day when I shake your hand and personally thank you :)

TIPPING Part 2 - If I'm on a dive trip on an island, resort, etc., I ALWAYS leave $2 and a little thank you note for the maid, EVERYDAY. They usually do a "better than normal" job tidying up, and are usually very grateful. Let's face it, on a lot of the island that we all dive on, $2 is a lot to most maids & staff.

The one that I havent really thought about was sitting in your own seat. I keep my gear organized, regs clipped off, mask in safe location,etc. So nothing can get damaged. I can say that 70% of my dives have been from charter boats and have never had a issue or seen someone else have a issue. Once gear is set people are everywere, bow, stern, below deck, you name it. And what is this all about, divers talking about diving. Before and after the dive. This is Great Lakes Diving and warm water diving. If someone is sitting in MY seat I really don't have a issue. I know how I set that area up. If I'm reading into this wrong, let me know. Some time I would like to dive the east coast.
DP

Bow--the pointy end. Stern--back of the boat, usually find the ladder here. Head--the potty. Please use the hand sanitizer, especially if snacks or fruit is provided.

The dry area--Somewhere on that boat is an area for keeping your cell phone, clothes, etc. dry. Please respect that. Don't come up there dripping wet all over my backpack and towel.

Boat space--My gear bag is under my seat. Yours should be too. Keep your stuff in your bag when not using it. My seat is where my BC and tank and other gear are. Please don't drape your reg around my gear.

Tipping--Whether the crew helps set up your gear or not, they did help you back on the boat and safely into your seat. They may have changed your tank over and hauled all of those empty tanks back to the shop to get filled. It's a service industry so tip accordingly. If they had to retrieve your mask or other gear, tip generously.

Please chum over the side of the boat and not on anyone's gear. Make sure you are downwind so it won't blow back on anyone. Have somebody help you so you won't hurl yourself overboard.

If you have one of those giant gear bags on wheels, please bring your stuff on board in a more reasonably sized bag. Leave that thing in your car, room, wherever, just don't bring it on the boat.

Be nice or dive with someone else.

Do Not Touch my Rebreather Valves, Gauges, or Controls

Do Not Touch my OC double manifold, or try to shut it off

Do Not Step, or Place Something Heavy on top of my BC Wing thereby puncturing it

On a tech dive many years ago a mate on the RV Wahoo decides to shut my manifold off, as well as my valves. Didn't appreciate. Also, they made me take off my rebreather kit on deck and then dragged it across the deck and pulled on the breathing hoses. This was some 12 years ago, I don't think anyone does that anymore. :D

Do Not Touch my Rebreather Valves, Gauges, or Controls

Do Not Touch my OC double manifold, or try to shut it off

Do Not Step, or Place Something Heavy on top of my BC Wing thereby puncturing it

On a tech dive many years ago a mate on the RV Wahoo decides to shut my manifold off, as well as my valves. Didn't appreciate. Also, they made me take off my rebreather kit on deck and then dragged it across the deck and pulled on the breathing hoses. This was some 12 years ago, I don't think anyone does that anymore. :D
I can't imagine messing with someones gear like that. Let alone some ones rebreather. Alot of times I think the boat crew needs some boat etiquette. Some always think they have a better way.

If I am setting up my gear, wait until I am finished to ask for help. I will gladly help you if you will just wait until I have finished my own. I have a routine to make sure everything is just right. Please don't interrupt my routine.

muzikbiz22TIPPING - If it's a great day and great service, yes. The minute you ask or "announce" tips for the crew are "encouraged & appreciated", etc., forget it because it ain't gonna happen. That really burns my bum. HOWEVER, if you are the crew person that has ever so gently handled my $6000 camera rig all day, in and out of the water and camera bucket, you are getting a very nice little "gift" at the end of the day when I shake your hand and personally thank you
icosm14.gif

This is one of the ways to surely get me to NOT tip. I wouldn't tip a server that blatantly asked for a tip and I don't stop and give anything to people standing along the road or hwy with a sign asking for handouts either...although I often will stop and buy flowers or fruit from someone selling them by the roadside and I am an extremely easy mark for anyone needing assistance with something, but not out begging for it.

Someone above suggested telling the boat crew why you are not tipping them. Unless it is an egregious enough offense that I need to report it to whoever is running the operation, why would I feel the need to do that? That again puts tipping in the category of "you MUST do it unless there is a compelling reason not to". Which, again, is bull crap. Provide a service with a great attitude and go above and beyond because you take pride in doing your job and enjoy working with people and I am very very likely to tip. Do the bare minimum and do it coldly and/or indifferently and I am likely not to tip.

Just not really sure why people worry so much about if other people tip or not and how much. You take care of your money and I will take care of mine. The people that stand out and do a great job of providing good service with a friendly smile will do well with tips without asking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom