Dive boat conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably.

you will need deck space
compresser room

and a way of getting on and off in a reasonable fashion.

they are usually not fast or fuel efficient but that's just money.

post some pics-i like boats

I've spent quite a bit of time on Tug Boats...

How many millions do you have? I can't imagine what the upkeep would cost. I can tell you the tens of thousands I got paid for keeping the bottom working. Scrubbing the hull and props, replacing props, etc.

The tugs I worked on were so friggin slow, there's no way I'd charter one for diving. What are your plans for it exactly?
I've never seen bigger (and slower engines) anywhere. Can you imagine what it would cost for a full overhaul of 24 or more diesel cylinders?

A 3.5 million dollar upgrade... I broke into a cold sweat imagining spending $100 a pop 35,000 times on just one boat. And........ then ya gotta maintain it all.

I believe the boat got a $3.5M upgrade, then was purchased for the value of the mechanics lien on the engine rebuild. Not too shabby of a deal.

What Superlyte27 said. They only way I can see a conversion making sense is if you could get the hull really cheap because the engines were toast. Installing smaller engines might give you space for compressors, Nitrox mix-maker, and gear storage. Generally speaking the deck layout isn't especially conversion friendly either. I would be more inclined to look at used crew and supply boats first.

…I've never seen bigger (and slower engines) anywhere. Can you imagine what it would cost for a full overhaul of 24 or more diesel cylinders?

To say nothing of fuel costs!

What Superlyte27 said. They only way I can see a conversion making sense is if you could get the hull really cheap because the engines were toast. Installing smaller engines might give you space for compressors, Nitrox mix-maker, and gear storage. Generally speaking the deck layout isn't especially conversion friendly either. I would be more inclined to look at used crew and supply boats first.

To say nothing of fuel costs!

Yeah, that was a given.
Imagine a boat that could literally pull a bridge down. 20-40 thousand horsepower with a top speed of 8 knots. Yah, fuel might be a bit pricey.

You can dive off any boat. My experience with tugs makes me think it would not be a great dive boat even if you put crazy $ into it. They do not have good access to the water for divers, they role in swell like crazy, their propellors throw too much water to be anywhere near the reef or bottom. The maintanance on tug boats is daily, and costly. Paying for fuel will bankrupt you unless you have rich VIP's diving daily.
Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom