Dive Boat (and my) Mistake...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, there's another thread running about different "views." Well, I have to conclude that there are for sure different views of staying alive and well while diving. . . Hope someone worthy doesn't get hurt trying to rescue you.

This is a beautiful post, worthy of reading and rereading. Having been guilty of failing THREE specific check times before my half-empty tank episode, I can't really explain why it happened -- it wasn't from a gradual erosion of care. It was an acute episode, but a wake-up call.

As far as debriefing the DM, I don't really understand this. Does anyone think that, given what was said in the original post, that DM didn't understand the gravity of what she had done, and intend to correct the problem? I don't think reporting her to her superiors would make that any better. If she had blown the diver off and said it was no big deal, that's different. But someone who is repeatedly apologizing is aware of her offense.

As far as debriefing the DM, I don't really understand this. Does anyone think that, given what was said in the original post, that DM didn't understand the gravity of what she had done, and intend to correct the problem? I don't think reporting her to her superiors would make that any better. If she had blown the diver off and said it was no big deal, that's different. But someone who is repeatedly apologizing is aware of her offense.
My thoughts exactly. I really don't understand all of the talk about having to report the "offense" in order to improve customer service. It was a one-time, honest mistake. If it were a pattern or the DM reacted defensively, then that would be different.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I really don't understand all of the talk about having to report the "offense" in order improve customer service. It was a one-time, honest mistake. If it were a pattern or the DM reacted defensively, then that would be different.
X 1 more:clapping:

To answer your bottom questions- As a boat owner, my customers and dms talk freely about every aspect of the dive. My dm's are usually the very first to talk about issues and problems. The customers are always talking because they know we are very safety concerned and want to know of any issues, no matter how small, even. My dm's are never scared to tell of mistakes because they aren't afraid of our reactions, and they want to be the best they can be.

That is a wonderful, open attitude. My question was "if this happened in your shop would you want to know?" You've put in place some methods of interaction that would seem to prevent this happening in your shop, and again, that's great. But what if it did happen? If one of your clients received poor service (however you define that for your DMs) and then the DM apologized to the client, and they agreed together to not mention it to you?

And if you are on a boat daily, you know that sometimes, things happen. And when they do, those little inconveniences all seem to happen on the same day. An inflator hose sticks, a diaphram needs adjusting, someone pulls their weight release on the boat and now it has to be restrung (we rent out Zeagles, it takes a few minutes to restring the pockets), someone forgot their left bootie, a tank got loaded that had a cover on it but was not filled. It happens. It is how it is dealt with that makes a good trip. All of this is why everyone should check their own gear and make sure that their dm's are doing the problem solving and anticipating of issues, instead of maid service by changing everyone's gear over.

I've been on the boat on those days. Some of the things were out of control of the DM (boat troubles) and some were completely within her control (or in the control of the DM team, however you decide to look at them as a pair).

Do you dive a boat regularly? Do you run a boat or dm one? What do you do? How do you run it? Just wondering about your perspective. I know many instructors who take their students out, but don't work on the boat themselves.
Expectations either way should be of high quality-safe boat and site briefings, knowledgable about the site and dive, capable f problem solving, good people skills, and professional.

I am not a DM, but like all of us, I was one once and during that time I did work on a boat. I am regularly on a boat as a client. As I said earlier, if I did my job as a DM as poorly as was outlined in the OP, I'd want to know about it. Your expectations of a dive professional and mine seem to be in alignment.

kari

I've been on the side of "need to debrief." TSandM, when you say "the gravity of what she had done" what are you referring to, specifically?

Several things happened, or didn't happen. No discussion with divers about level of ability or number of dives leading to selection of an inappropriate dive site. No briefing. No mention of how to (and let's do this right now) determine if your air is turned on and your tank is full before you get in the water). No discussion of current or not. No review of signals to expect or use, no information on boat procedures, no safety equipment on the DMs such as an SMB.

"Aware of her offense"? Which one? I wonder if that would be clearer if we knew what she had apologized for a half a dozen times.

I think by not debriefing, we are leaving her in the uncomfortable position of knowing that something went wrong, but not knowing specifically what it was, or how to correct it. And the OP is not the right person to help her understand how she SHOULD be conducting her dives.

-kari

Last edited:
This is a beautiful post, worthy of reading and rereading. Having been guilty of failing THREE specific check times before my half-empty tank episode, I can't really explain why it happened -- it wasn't from a gradual erosion of care. It was an acute episode, but a wake-up call.

I don't worry so much about even bad breaches that are isolated events. Everybody either has them or lies about not having them. They're less dangerous, because the chances of the worst happening on just that occasion is small (although some percentage of folks will get burned that one time, as demonstrated). The erosion of trained standards is far more dangerous, because they tend to be more or less permanent failures. It just has to be a conscious determination to do it to standard, every time, no matter what. It can't be left entirely to habit, because habits erode without conscious effort. Senior airline pilots know the pre-flight by heart, but they still use the printed list. In a way, the conscious effort itself becomes a habit, and it's no burden. A dive is a critical mission, and real critical mission folks don't depend on fools and aren't influenced by them.

So if I let someone else set up my tanks, then I am intentionally trying to kill myself, my dive buddy and the rescue team? :idk:

I know that I don't have many dives compared to some of you "regulars". On the trips that I have been on, I have never seen anyone refuse to let someone "touch their gear". ALL of us on the cattle boats that I've been on let the dive operators set up our tanks. I usually appreciate their doing it. :wink: I would think this is the "norm" in Cozumel. I really don't think that everyone one of us lazy divers have a death wish though. I do check my gear prior to putting it on.

Oh, FWIW, I have never seen anyone use dive tables on these tourist dives either.

I rarely post without reading the entire thread. Sorry, the underfilled tank was entirely your responsibility. You should have checked your tank pressure and exchanged your tank for a full one. The rest of the story is not applicable, a rationalization for your irresponsible behavior. You should also be prepared with adequate signaling devices, your bad. Diving is personal responsibiliy, accept it.

Good diving, Craig

LOL! Note to self...if I decide to post any of my mistakes here, be ready to be stoned.

So if I let someone else set up my tanks, then I am intentionally trying to kill myself, my dive buddy and the rescue team? :idk:

I know that I don't have many dives compared to some of you "regulars". On the trips that I have been on, I have never seen anyone refuse to let someone "touch their gear". ALL of us on the cattle boats that I've been on let the dive operators set up our tanks. I usually appreciate their doing it. :wink: I would think this is the "norm" in Cozumel. I really don't think that everyone one of us lazy divers have a death wish though. I do check my gear prior to putting it on.

Oh, FWIW, I have never seen anyone use dive tables on these tourist dives either.
Taking a thought to extremes here aren't you?
And by letting someone else set up your gear, you are abdicating responsibility. You are letting others do your job as an independent diver. And if your dives are mostly recreational vacation dives, I am sure you have seen everyone let it happen. That seems to be the trend for the vacation rec crowd. The "lazy divers" as you call them certainly don't have a death wish, no one is implying that here, but they are being lazy and reckless in their safety responsibilities. You may appreciate some else doing your work for you, but they don't dive that gear, you do. You should know it and have set it.

And I am sure the same people there don't use tables or computers. They will trust others to run their dives. I believe that is a mistake all the way around. And they choose to make it, then complain if something goes wrong.

LOL! Note to self...if I decide to post any of my mistakes here, be ready to be stoned.

The OP did not complain. He was relating his incident, recognizing his errors, and sharing to keep it form happening again to him and hopefully others. The posters who stated truth about his faults in the dive are not stoning him. That is just honesty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom