Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both even better.

I know people that no matter how much training or how many certificates they have, they are a walking disaster. It's hardwired into their DNA.

The one Inlet that scares me the most is Oregon Inlet no matter what you know or think you know the constant shifting of bottom and bar is scary for the most seasoned captain.

The one Inlet that scares me the most is Oregon Inlet no matter what you know or think you know the constant shifting of bottom and bar is scary for the most seasoned captain.
I know it doesn't compare to Oregon Inlet but Shinnecock can be a challenge as well.

Or cross the Columbia River Bar during a ebb tide and a Easterly wind.

I used to run Shinnecock a couple times a year I never liked that inlet the jetties are at an angle which gives a false sense of which way the waves "should" be breaking and can be hard to line up at times.

For the offshore fishing season I am in Montauk much easier than any of the South Shore inlets.

My father had small boats (20' and later 26' makos) that he kept by the canal and went out of Shinnecock all the time. He fished that area all his life and was going offshore until his early 80s. I never liked Shinnecock Inlet. It could be nasty and twisty, especially with certain tides running. It claimed many a boat. Don't miss it.

I grew up doing Shinnecock in the summers. It was real fun some days. The cut by Stingray City can be fun here when it’s rough. Sank a yacht just starting an around the world trip out of Florida. Local knowledge is unbeatable in some places. As a kid we were in Hampton Bays. Until recently we had a place on the North Fork in Aquebogue

Back
Top Bottom