Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't libel if it's true. I'm not saying it it true or untrue in this case. I'm just saying that legally, libel isn't something written that's denigrating, it has to actually be untrue.

It's only true if a court says it's true.

I respectfully disagree. Had she not hit the Divetech boat, she would have plowed through a field of about 30 cruise ship snorkelers from Cayman Diving, and surely killed several and injured many more. Would your opinion be different had that happened? What if one of your family members was one of these snorkelers?

The only reason she didn't injur or kill anyone was luck, would it be the same result if she were 40? Nowhere in the outcome, charges dropped, did it say she could not be back at the helm today. No example for anyone, insurance settled, charges dropped, your good to go. Imagine that for reckless drivers.
Bob

I agree with Tienuts. There is no way to get around the known facts. This was gross negligence. The thing speaks for itself.

Maybe it isn't a good idea to dredge up an old argument, but I wanted to let you know that I have been re-considering my feelings about the accident between the Cathy Church boat and the Dive Tech boat.

I figured that since thankfully no one was hurt, and surely the responsible party was deeply remorseful and had learned a valuable lesson, and so there was probably no need to impose the most severe penalties and/or cause public exposure and ridicule.

But I wanted to let you know that I have been re-thinking my position. I have been following the terrible accident at the link below that occurred in West Palm Beach, FL on Thanksgiving.

A young marine biologist was snorkeling with a friend. They were close to shore and he was towing a dive flag float but a careless boat driver plowed into him. The young man was horribly injured and nearly died and his right arm was amputated and his left wrist was broken. The doctors will begin operating on him soon to try and save his legs.

I am definitely coming to agree that strict enforcement of safe boating rules is absolutely necessary, my apologies for my naivete.

Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

KathyV, I'm glad you turned around on this. I have felt strongly since hearing about the incident and the outcome, that the penalty was not adequate. As you said, boating rules need to be enforced strictly, if for no other reason than to set an example for the rest of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom