Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or I will do the long hose primary, bungee second reg under neck thing my new buddies do perhaps... however I could see an insta buddy actually strangling the donor with that setup.
The long hose doesn't go across the front of your neck, so there is no chance of strangling anyone. Handing off a pony to a panicking diver is not a good idea either. They may bolt to the surface or drop the tank. The long hose primary and short hose bungeed backup works in any situation.

The long hose doesn't go across the front of your neck, so there is no chance of strangling anyone. Handing off a pony to a panicking diver is not a good idea either. They may bolt to the surface or drop the tank. The long hose primary and short hose bungeed backup works in any situation.
Oh, I though it did go across the front of the neck, thanks! I read about it before I moved here but didn’t really see it done. Well, these amazing cave divers south of me all seem to do it that way and I’m sure they know better than I do what’s safest, so it’s definitely worth trying. Same with the BP/W... I tried a buddy’s on briefly and was uncomfortable, but want to try again with someone fitting me.

Cool... looks like it takes practice!
Once you understand the process, it's pretty easy. If the reg is grabbed out of your mouth, you simply tip your head down and the long hose slips over the back of your head. If you offer the reg (best way), you also tip your head down, but you get to also lift the hose over the back as well. I've only had to share air with a buddy twice and neither was an OOA. Since I've started diving with an SPG, I have never ever run out of air. Ever. 10/12 years ago I realized that I needed to watch my buddy's air just as much as my own. It's worked. It works. I use an extrapolation method to keep up with their air consumption so I'm not constantly bothering them. It's all part of a commitment to myself and my buddy that neither of us will run out of air on the dive.

It amazes me how many tales of daring do I hear from some instructors about how often they've rescued their students. Wow. I've towed a tired student twice, but I've never had to save any. I try to teach my students how to avoid and/or resolve issues so they won't have to be rescued. The best rescue is the one you averted by paying attention and intervening before anything happened. Take care of your buddy just as you take care of yourself.

Or I will do the long hose primary, bungee second reg under neck thing my new buddies do perhaps... however I could see an insta buddy actually strangling the donor with that setup.

If you are talking about the bungeed secondary, you can put it on a tear-away bungee (not the pants LOL) So even if they grab for the one on the bungee around your neck, it pulls free and doesn't choke you.

I just set up my sidemount config with a pull-away because I have found primary donate to be the best option for me and my diving.

That makes so much sense!

Used to go diving in the 1970s wearing blue jeans and flannel shirt with long underwear and cotton garden gloves because I could not afford a wetsuit. Even dove under the ice that way once in 1979. Am an old timer, been diving since 1976 when I worked for a dive shop in Houston. Was diving in Hawaii last year and was rinsing my gear at a dive shop I rented tanks from. A fellow diver spotted my Mark14, P200, and R390 and commented how old they were. He said scubapro only made it a short time, realized their mistake and replaced it. I commented that it worked well for me but it was only a back up regulator set. Oh, he said an extra regulator? Yep, I bought these when the airline temporarily lost my primary set. Now I still carry this extra set Incase the airline breaks or loses them again. Then I pulled the other tank out of the car with my Mark7 and a pair of 109s. He asked what... I said I bought them in the 70s and have not seen any reason to replace them they seem to work well for me. Of course I upgraded to double ballanced but really I never could really tell much difference (between you and I). Sometimes I still dive my Sub Aquatic Systems reg but have not in a while.

I have an old set of US Divers but have never used them. Would like to compare them and the Dacor rigs someday... my guess is they all breathe ok if properly maintained.
That is freaking awesome dedication :)

It amazes me how many tales of daring do I hear from some instructors about how often they've rescued their students. Wow. I've towed a tired student twice, but I've never had to save any. I try to teach my students how to avoid and/or resolve issues so they won't have to be rescued. The best rescue is the one you averted by paying attention and intervening before anything happened. Take care of your buddy just as you take care of yourself.
I heard that one of my old instructors got bent rescuing a student, and subsequently quit teaching, maybe diving too.

@Kharon it’s good you are not falling into the “angry old man” syndrome. I’ve noticed as men age they either get angry or they get mellow and start twinkling their eyes at children.

Well I do have my reputation to keep up: Curmudgeons take pride in being contrarians. They don’t just take the popular positions or the easy ones. They aren’t scared to go against the grain. They stay true to their own likes. In terms of attitude and values, curmudgeons will stick to a core set of principles even if, at times, the world changes around them. Curmudgeons know who they are and what they believe in. They aren't insecure. There is such a thing as a “lovable curmudgeon”. Clint Eastwood in the movie “Gran Torino” is a curmudgeon.

Lately, when someone tells me they are sorry something is taking so long, I automatically reply - "I retired 11 years ago. I stopped being in a hurry then. Don't worry about it." I always bring a book to read in case I have to wait. Life is a lot more pleasant now.

And though my eyes may twinkle at ladies who could be consideded children (say under 50 or so), it's only with the appreciation with which I look at an orchid flower, a beautiful animal (red fox for example), or a stunning vista. Any thoughts beyond that are far and long gone.

... Handing off a pony to a panicking diver is not a good idea either. They may bolt to the surface or drop the tank. ...

You know what? That is their problem. IMO they shouldn't have run their tank dry. It's not my responsibility to get bent being dragged to the surface because I am attached to them to save their butt. I hand off my pony - you can now do what you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom