Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After sleeping on this I have an idea: Let's start a "Dive and let dive!" movement. When you see peeps being mean to others, even yourself, remind them to dive and let dive. Even unsolicited comments can be dealt with by a firm, yet kind: "Dive and let dive! You can even add it to your Signature Line and show your support.

After sleeping on this I have an idea: Let's start a "Dive and let dive!" movement. When you see peeps being mean to others, even yourself, remind them to dive and let dive. Even unsolicited comments can be dealt with by a firm, yet kind: "Dive and let dive! You can even add it to your Signature Line and show your support.
Mr. Chairman,

In this day and age of movements I’d think you would already know it MUST have a hashtag! So it should read:

#DiveAndLetDive

Great idea. I will apply one caveat to my personal commitment. When I see someone doing something that is a threat to themselves or someone else I will speak up. If I did not, I would not have a clear conscience. Guess it is the lifeguard gene that was spliced into my DNA.

I will continue to critique gear, just not directed at any one person
Covediver's Log: Do we really need all this dive stuff?

When I see someone doing something that is a threat to themselves or someone else I will speak up.
I've got no problems with this, but just be sure that it is an actual threat! :D

Take the myth that a mask on your forehead is a sign of distress. It's not. To those who think it is, I dare you to rescue the first person you see with their sunglasses on their forehead. They do it for the same reasons. I see too many people meddle in the name of safety. A recent student of mine was aghast when she was told that her long hose, her personal locator beacon and her safety sausage were dangerous. She's not alone and I hear the same comments from time to time.

Make no doubt about it: there are times we need to intercede and that usually means a lot of gesturing and yelling. The same student was pretty surprised to hear me yelling at her UNDERWATER as she was about to swim into the traffic lane at the Blue Heron Bridge. Yikes! I wasn't mad. I wasn't upset or even angry. I just didn't want her to swim into the danger zone. Props win over swimmers just like scissors beat paper. Too often though, our personal preference gets couched in terms of safety when that's really not the case. If you cite safety, just be sure it really is. I'm sure you do.

Back
Top Bottom