Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a lot of negativity on this forum. Like A LOT! Which is weird because whenever I talk to divers on the beach before/after a dive or anchored over a dive site, they're always the friendliest people I've ever met. Everyone seems to be in a euphoric state, especially after diving. Which just shows how amazing the hobby is. I feel like people on this site look down on noobs. Which is weird, diving is one of those hobbies where it doesn't matter if a lot of people do it. It isn't like snowboarding/skiing, fishing, surfing, etc. where more people means less fun for you.

I do like this forum a lot though, I've learned a bunch and I like discussing things with people who do one of my hobbies.

I've noticed the negativity is in regards to:
1. BPW BCDs. "If you use anything else, you're an idiot." I have been convinced to get one though, since I'm 6'5" and skinny so it will fit me better. But there is a reason pretty much most of the world uses jackets. They're simple, convenient, and work great. Don't hate on people for that.
2. Current scuba classes. If I had a dollar for how many times people have complained that classes have been watered down or aren't sufficient, I'd be a millionaire. The fact of the matter is, you don't need 200 hours in a classroom and 40 checkout dives to go underwater and breathe through a tube, it's not that hard (joking, but you get my point).... Classes do just fine teaching you the basics, you can learn other skills like breathing control, navigating, etc. just by being underwater and enjoying the hobby.
3. Dive boats. Just yesterday there was complaints about dive boats targeting the masses not having long enough bottom times. I see people complaining about dive charters a ton. There's a pretty simple solution really, BUY A BOAT. If you can't afford it, shore dive or deal with the boat's rules.
4. Noob divers. Obviously people who go online to talk about diving really enjoy the hobby and either have lots of experience or try to go really often. So people on this forum are generally more experienced and knowledgeable than most people. But it's okay that vacation dives/occasional divers exist! They're the ones that really keep the travel industry alive and spur innovation making it cheap enough for us to do it. People on here always complain about someone on a dive charter doing something they don't approve of. Bro, you don't need to talk noobs down to feel like a more skilled diver. Just because someone doesn't do 300 feet dives in a quarry on a regular basis, doesn't mean he isn't having a fun time on that boat and doesn't deserve to be diving.

Anyways, I still enjoy this forum, even with the negativity associated with it. A lot of you sure are grumpy, but you are very experienced and I appreciate all the info I've received. So thanks for that.

Last edited:
There's a lot of negativity on this forum. Like A LOT!
I would say that there's some negativity here, but I've seen a lot, lot worse. If something is too negative though, please hit the Report Link that sits below every post

upload_2018-2-28_15-56-9.png

When you do, it will open up a dialog box like where you can tell us what's wrong

upload_2018-2-28_15-58-50.png

We can't improve your experience unless you help!

I would say that there's some negativity here, but I've seen a lot, lot worse. If something is too negative though, please hit the Report Link that sits below every post

I wouldn't say the negativity is to the point where it's attacking people and needs to be reported. I would just say that the atmosphere is more complaining than talking about fun diving experiences. Maybe that's the purpose of this forum?

I'm just comparing to other forums I've used where the general discussions seem to be used for reports, questions, and cool stories. I was on fishing/hunting forums when I did a lot of that (diving takes up that time now) and also use an aquarium forum. Very rarely were the forums used to complain about others in the hobby unless of course they were doing something like leaving shotgun shells behind, overfishing, or people putting fish in aquariums that are too small. Not about people's experience or preferences.

I wouldn't say the negativity is to the point where it's attacking people and needs to be reported. I would just say that the atmosphere is more complaining than talking about fun diving experiences. Maybe that's the purpose of this forum?

I'm just comparing to other forums I've used where the general discussions seem to be used for reports, questions, and cool stories. I was on fishing/hunting forums when I did a lot of that (diving takes up that time now) and also use an aquarium forum. Very rarely were the forums used to complain about others in the hobby unless of course they were doing something like leaving shotgun shells behind, overfishing, or people putting fish in aquariums that are too small. Not about people's experience or preferences.

Reported for negativity.

When you do, it will open up a dialog box like where you can tell us what's wrong

We can't improve your experience unless you help!
While I do see some negativity, I don’t see much that I would consider reporting. Actually I think leaving some of it helps other members see what people are really about.

When it comes to gear I’m in the W3 crowd, What Works...Works.

Vendor bashing has driven many, if not most, of the vendors from SB especially the big names. Same applies to Dive Centers. Vendor and LDS bashing has been a favorite "pastime" here on SB.

Trouble with scuba police are they are not authorized by anyone but themselves but believe that they act under the color of authority.

I ran into a guy like that on a dive boat, he must have been a new instructor. I was diving a Miller commercial diving harness that I modified with wider tank bands and a wing. As I am attaching this to a rental tank he walks up and says "What is that?" "You can't dive that!" My response was "If you don't know what it is how do you know I can't dive it?"

Back
Top Bottom