dive accident catalina 10/1/05 0230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez... I heard today that we had a third death this week (Thurs night?) off a dive boat here in Catalina waters. Season is not starting out well.

drbill:
First, it is highly unlikerly I would be in that situation in the first place. I do very few night dives here... I save them for the warmer tropics!

Depends on where the entanglement occurred. I usually get entangled by my octo screw adjustment knob (easy to disengage) or my valve knob. In that case I would first reach back and try to disentangle. If that didn't work, I'd slowly back out, possibly adding a slight turn in the opposite direction to try to free the kelp from the valve knob.

Wow, horrible stories, my condolences to both families. And thanks to Dr. Bill for sharing his experience and judgement on the subject of kelp diving.

I was at a meeting in LA last week, and got in three dives on Catalina Island during that week! Fantastic place, can't wait to go back. But I do want to weigh in here with my own take on kelp diving as a novice (did one other dive a few years ago at La Jolla).

I had a bit of problem with the kelp, probably due to major task loading related to a bunch of equipment, both new (my new dry suit) and rental. Had a few equipment problems as well- a free flow towards the end of one dive (sand in the reg according to an Atomic service rep), and a rented DUI BC with what seemed to be a leaking inflator hose, causing a slow continual trickle of air into the bladder. On my first dive, I also had the bad judgement to strap my dive knife to my leg, which turns out to be a great way of harvesting kelp...!

I had an experience where I was running low on air, started my ascent by myself (after notifying the instructor with whom I was diving) and then got tangled in the kelp. I was able to get free (using the techniques everyone talks about), but I certainly had a few moments of increased sweat output into my new suit! This was complicated by the abovementioned equipment problems, etc...

Bottom line is that even though kelp might not be as deadly as a fishing net, it's dangers shouldn't be underestimated in a situation where someone new to the area is having other problems as well..

The dive was GREAT, though... ("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?")

Again, condolences to all involved...

Mike- thanks for sharing your experiences as a kelp "newbie." I'm so used to it that I don't really give it much thought unless a strong current makes it lay horizontally and move around a lot. I find that is the time when it is most troublesome for me.

I stopped wearing a knife on my leg decades ago. If one is worn in kelp, it should either be worn on the inside of the leg (less chance of snagging kelp) or use a smaller BC knife or snips (my preference). Of course we have few problems with heavy fishing lines or nets in our waters... usually just light monofilament.

drbill:
Mike- thanks for sharing your experiences as a kelp "newbie." I'm so used to it that I don't really give it much thought unless a strong current makes it lay horizontally and move around a lot. I find that is the time when it is most troublesome for me.

I stopped wearing a knife on my leg decades ago. If one is worn in kelp, it should either be worn on the inside of the leg (less chance of snagging kelp) or use a smaller BC knife or snips (my preference). Of course we have few problems with heavy fishing lines or nets in our waters... usually just light monofilament.

Yup - ditched the knife after the first problem, bought a new set of sea snips (I have a set at home, but forgot to bring them!)...

A big dive knife strapped to your leg is a macho accessory when you first start diving, looks cool... not problem, just as long as you only wear it around the dive boat and then make sure to take it off before getting in the water! :)

Actually (a bit ashamed to admit this), but it took me a while to realize what the trouble was with the BC giving me ascent problems (leaking inflator valve). The instructor I was diving with actually pointed this out to me on the surface. I just assumed that the vent on my new dry suit was sticky or otherwise malfunctioning - had plenty of lead! I was SURE that I had vented the BC fully a few times during the dive, but aparently not enough to compensate for the slow inflation trickle.

SO, to finish my safety stop, I actually used the kelp to help me stay at 15 feet for a few mintues... Was not happy with myself for not realizing the actual problem right away and getting myself into some potential trouble, but it's an important lesson. I'm not tremendously experienced (155 logged dives), and going through stuff like this is a very valuable teaching experience. Task loading, new equipment, new environment, etc... these aren't just words in a PADI manual, the are real problems to be considered on every dive and overcome.

Mike

Well put MikeFerrara.

I dive Channel Islands quite often. Kelp should be treated as an overhead environment imo. In fact it offers a quite dynamic overhead environment at that.

I personally dive with a dive buddy always. And can not imagine sending anyone from my group (if I am in one) anywhere alone (not even topside).

I would personally feel tremendously responsible for the death if I EVER sent a diver away from my group alone.

I make sure that ALL divers with me understand that if anyone has a problem, they will never be alone. And that we always stay in pairs no matter what. I just think diving in kelp adds an element that makes diving closely with a buddy the only way. If you dive in kelp alone you are really pushing your luck imo.

Sending someone near, or in, an ooa situation, to the top alone is just unforgiveable imo (not that this is necessarily what happened in either of the tragedies). Someone who does that and then says they would do the same thing over again, just makes me mad.

Wow ... I actually heard something about this later that morning.

We we're doing an AM dive Saturday (10/1) on BottomScratcher. The boat had been out all night for the bug season opening. When they got back, Capt. Greg mentioned that he had overheard conversation on the radio regarding a dive related incident which resulted in a fatality. This is the first news that I've heard regarding any details.

It's really terrible. Does anyone know anything about the experience level of the individual involved ? Had he done many night lobster dives and/or kelp dives ?

I'm the sister of the drowning victim on October 1st. I just want to set the record straight. He had 500 lbs of air in his tank according to the sheriff's report at Avalon. We still don't know what happened. We believe he must have passed out since his vest was only partially undone. He was weak because he was on Interferon and I'm wondering if he could have gotten cold waiting on his friends. Do you ever see hypothermia occur in this temperature of water? We are still awaiting autopsy results.

Yes, he had done many dives at Catalina, somewhere around 30 including lobster hunting. The difference this time was that he was on Interferon and not up to his normal ability but very excited about resuming doing something that he loved. He was with two other people and tired before they were done and was waiting on the surface for them. For some reason he decided to head back without them. That's why I was wondering if he had gotten cold waiting which further weakened him. It's such a shame that he had to go back under to get back to the boat. There are so many people greatly affected by his death and are looking for answers.

Sheri,
Allow me to offer my condolences for your loss and thank you for sharing the additional information about your brother’s dive. Our waters usually run 52-58 with 54-56F being the normal. Opening night the waters in the area were in the 55-57 degree range so hypothermia could be an issue. Add to that the possible effects of Interferon and it could well be that your brother got cold and decided to head back alone.

It is very likely we will never know what really happened that night, it might have been the cold, it could have been other medical issues, or very likely a combination of several things or just his time to go. Again my condolences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom