Ditchable weight options for backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OMS pouches were designed to be used horizontal but I modified them to make them vertical and much more comfortable.

I could look into that and try modifying mines. Just in case I would need them...

I use a MAKO rubber belt, with a handful of MAKO "pinch weights". I cannot feel these weights through my exposure suit, and the belt is the same size no matter how many weights I thread onto it. Belt rides nicely on my hips, the slight stretchiness means that it is always the right size, even as my suit compresses at depth. The quick release is very easy to use on purpose, but I have never used it on accident.

Worst case scenario where you ditch your weights, MAKO will replace it free of charge. What a guy Dano is.

pinch-dive-weights-installed.jpg

Attachments

• pinch-dive-weights-installed.jpg
    pinch-dive-weights-installed.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 225
I attached the belt pouches directly to the harness. I am used to dive double steel with P and/or V-weights, so I am not concerned about the weight in the Mono configuration.
13ADDEC8-41C4-4755-9C2E-82DDE3E9BAC2.jpeg 141A5644-DD05-4FD1-AF64-7DC035009F50.jpeg

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone was worried about the number of buckles. To reduce them you can use a Triglide to fix the Light canister. The webbing of the canister is small, just a little bit higher than the triglide
3EA29881-A9AE-45B7-A649-D621D799DCE4.jpeg

I have a pair of those mounted upside down. They seem to work well.
They work well for me as well, however, since I'm not really big, I had to mount them in the vertical position

I have trim weights (pockets) on the tank band, and Mako Quick-weights on my harness (releasable) and zero on my waist. Trim out perfect.

They work well for me as well, however, since I'm not really big, I had to mount them in the vertical position
That's how mine are mounted. They're on top of my kidneys, pull towards my butt.

The weights are held behind the light canister or long hose retainer, so there's just one buckle that retains both the canister and weights on the right hip. To get your rig balanced so you can swim up from depth with a wing failure, you would have to unbuckle the main waist strap buckle, remove the buckle retaining the canister and weights, and let the weights fall off. If you're using a can light, you may want to rethread the light onto the webbing unless you're using one of the old heavy canisters that are like 6 lb negative that effectively acts as your ditchable weight.
IMG_20200324_023820.jpg

As you can see, I've got a yellow hard weight partially threaded through the right waistband (only through one of the holes to allow it to drop freely when not retained by buckles). I've also got a lead rod that can be ditched that I use in place of a light canister on dives when a handheld light is sufficient. To ditch the weights, the main buckle would have to be undone (seen on the right), followed by the one holding the lead rod or light canister in place (on the left).

View attachment 575883
As you can see, I've got a yellow hard weight partially threaded through the right waistband (only through one of the holes to allow it to drop freely when not retained by buckles). I've also got a lead rod that can be ditched that I use in place of a light canister on dives when a handheld light is sufficient. To ditch the weights, the main buckle would have to be undone (seen on the right), followed by the one holding the lead rod or light canister in place (on the left).
uhm, in case of emergency, undo your weights could be a problem, don't you think?
I'm not judging, I'm just commenting putting myself in your shoes :)

uhm, in case of emergency, undo your weights could be a problem, don't you think?
I'm not judging, I'm just commenting putting myself in your shoes :)
True, it takes a few extra seconds to ditch weights, but I think there are really just two scenarios where the extra seconds would matter: simultaneous wing and drysuit failure in mid-water causing uncontrollable descent, or running out of air. In the latter case, the following conditions also have to be true for the extra seconds to matter:
1) I'm diving solo, have become separated from my teammates, or they're also out of air
2) I have no other redundant air source
3) I'm too deep to perform a CESA, or am too negatively buoyant to initiate one
The out of air scenario is unfortunately not uncommon, but usually does require you to blatantly violate a number of gas planning, gas management, and/or team/solo diving procedures to get to that point.

I'd say there are 3 other common ditchable weight configurations: weight belts worn under the crotch strap, weight belts worn over the crotch strap, and integrated weight systems either mounted on the BP. Weight belts worn under the crotch strap require roughly the same complexity to ditch as my configuration (undoing the main buckle, pulling the left waist strap out of the crotch strap, and undoing a second buckle). Weight belts worn over the crotch strap and integrated weights are both easier to ditch in an emergency, but run the risk of accidentally losing weights and causing an uncontrolled ascent.

Since I have yet to find myself close to reaching the aforementioned OOA scenario but HAVE managed to lose one of those Dive Rite weight pockets mid-dive (in addition to having recovered enough lost weight belts and weight pockets to make an artistic installation), I decided that my configuration best met my needs.

The OP's current configuration of a weight belt worn under a crotch strap with a pinch clip seems like it could strike a good balance between ease of ditchability and risk of accidentally dropping weights. I'm sure the presence of the pinch clip probably introduces risks of its own (Hogarthian purists will flag it as a potential failure point), but I don't have enough experience with pinch clips or their failures to have an informed opinion on the matter.

True, it takes a few extra seconds to ditch weights, but I think there are really just two scenarios where the extra seconds would matter: simultaneous wing and drysuit failure in mid-water causing uncontrollable descent, or running out of air. In the latter case, the following conditions also have to be true for the extra seconds to matter:
1) I'm diving solo, have become separated from my teammates, or they're also out of air
2) I have no other redundant air source
3) I'm too deep to perform a CESA, or am too negatively buoyant to initiate one
The out of air scenario is unfortunately not uncommon, but usually does require you to blatantly violate a number of gas planning, gas management, and/or team/solo diving procedures to get to that point.

I'd say there are 3 other common ditchable weight configurations: weight belts worn under the crotch strap, weight belts worn over the crotch strap, and integrated weight systems either mounted on the BP. Weight belts worn under the crotch strap require roughly the same complexity to ditch as my configuration (undoing the main buckle, pulling the left waist strap out of the crotch strap, and undoing a second buckle). Weight belts worn over the crotch strap and integrated weights are both easier to ditch in an emergency, but run the risk of accidentally losing weights and causing an uncontrolled ascent.

Since I have yet to find myself close to reaching the aforementioned OOA scenario but HAVE managed to lose one of those Dive Rite weight pockets mid-dive (in addition to having recovered enough lost weight belts and weight pockets to make an artistic installation), I decided that my configuration best met my needs.

The OP's current configuration of a weight belt worn under a crotch strap with a pinch clip seems like it could strike a good balance between ease of ditchability and risk of accidentally dropping weights. I'm sure the presence of the pinch clip probably introduces risks of its own (Hogarthian purists will flag it as a potential failure point), but I don't have enough experience with pinch clips or their failures to have an informed opinion on the matter.
I see your points, but I was thinking a more extreme scenario.
I was more thinking in case you pass out (for some reason), and your buddy have to get rid of your weights (while is understress). It can be really hard to manage I think 9if he's aware of your system).

My second concern is, that you have to undo your waist band, manage to get rid of your weight and re-do your waistband, and that part could be difficult, especailly if you are managing some emergency (and under stress). It's not a threathening life situation, but still very uncomfortable.

Again, is just for the sake of the discussion, no judgement here. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom