Ditchable weight options for backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Brad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are you nice folks using for ditchable weights with your bp&w??

I like a separate weight belt and changed my crotch strap out to one with a pinch clip so that in the event I needed to drop weight it would be easier to get the belt off. I'm considering putting together a belt with quick release pockets on it to make it even easier.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?....besides putting the pockets on my bc webbing..

I am confused as to why you would want to put quick release pockets on a standard weight belt that you plan to drop if needed instead of putting the quick release pockets on your bp/w belt. Why would putting quick release pockets on your ditchable weight belt make it easier to get off?

My GUE Fundamentals instructor replaced my weight belt with hard weights threaded directly onto the right waist strap of my webbing, retained by a second belt buckle. The main benefit is that it's easier to drop just a few weights instead of the whole belt so you aren't shooting to the surface uncontrollably. Supposedly it also makes it easier to vent gas from drysuit legs, though I can't say I notice much of a difference myself.

I am confused as to why you would want to put quick release pockets on a standard weight belt that you plan to drop if needed instead of putting the quick release pockets on your bp/w belt. Why would putting quick release pockets on your ditchable weight belt make it easier to get off?

Because then I would only be releasing the lead and not the belt. Basically one motion with each hand instead of two motions in undoing the pinch clip on my crotch strap and then getting to the buckle on the weight belt. Plus, I'd get the benefit of keeping the crotch strap in place.

My GUE Fundamentals instructor replaced my weight belt with hard weights threaded directly onto the right waist strap of my webbing, retained by a second belt buckle. The main benefit is that it's easier to drop just a few weights instead of the whole belt so you aren't shooting to the surface uncontrollably. Supposedly it also makes it easier to vent gas from drysuit legs, though I can't say I notice much of a difference myself.

Very interesting though I'm not sure I understand the rigging completely. Are there any photos or diagrams available that you know of?

Because then I would only be releasing the lead and not the belt. Basically one motion with each hand instead of two motions in undoing the pinch clip on my crotch strap and then getting to the buckle on the weight belt. Plus, I'd get the benefit of keeping the crotch strap in place.

I think you might be focusing on the wrong thing with regard to your end goal. There are many reasons why a diver might prefer a weight belt over integrated weight pockets (built into the bcd, or as ditchable weight pockets on a harness or bp/w waist belt). Often is just a matter of personal preference and comfort. Also, some divers prefer the weight belt to enable dropping weights as quickly as possible in an emergency, while others, like me, prefer to have ditchable weight pockets on the bcd or bp/w waist strap to have the option of selectively dropping weights based on the specific need. Also, I do not have to worry about inadvertently losing my weight belt. Understand that In an emergency ditching situation, you have a much bigger problem than having to replace a cheap and easily replaced weight belt. In that situation, the dive day is most likely over anyway. Edit: If you were using a jacket bcd without weight integration, I could understand using a weight belt with ditchable weight pockets, but using a bp/w, I can't imagine why I would want an extra belt and buckle around my waist when I have a perfectly useable waist strap on my bp/w for weight pockets (I use HOG weight pockets, but there are many other brands as well).

i use a spare cam band with two small weight pockets around the bottom of my tank. if i need to ditch i reach behind me and undo the cam.

What are you nice folks using for ditchable weights with your bp&w??

I like a separate weight belt and changed my crotch strap out to one with a pinch clip so that in the event I needed to drop weight it would be easier to get the belt off. I'm considering putting together a belt with quick release pockets on it to make it even easier.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?....besides putting the pockets on my bc webbing..

If you are going to add a quick release to the crotch strap, then, in my opinion, this is enough to facilitate a rapid ditch of a weight belt in an emergency. That is exactly what I do. I prefer to have at least some lead on the belt that I can drop rather than making my BC heavier and harder and more cumbersome to switch over from tank to tank to tank to tank during a loooong day of diving.

Standing bent over trying to balance myself and a tank on a pitching boat and switching over an unnecessarily heavy BC is something I try to avoid when my intent is "fun". People who set up from picnic tables probably don't have similar concerns.

I generally wear a rubber freedive type weight belt that sits lower on my hips and does not interfere with the BP/W waist strap/buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom