Ditchable Weight Option for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever used something similar to the following for their ditchable weight on a BP/W (see link below)? I have found that these are more often described as trim pockets than as ditchable weight. However, I can't see a reason why they should not be used as ditchable if preferred. Assuming you are diving in warm water (that is, not much weight needed) or you have placed non-ditchable weights elsewhere about the rig (for example, the STA), it makes sense to me. Am I missing something?

travel weight pocket

Thanks.

David

Has anyone ever used something similar to the following for their ditchable weight on a BP/W (see link below)? I have found that these are more often described as trim pockets than as ditchable weight. However, I can't see a reason why they should not be used as ditchable if preferred. Assuming you are diving in warm water (that is, not much weight needed) or you have placed non-ditchable weights elsewhere about the rig (for example, the STA), it makes sense to me. Am I missing something?

travel weight pocket

Thanks.

David

I have the same dilemna, I have a hydros pro which when tropical diving i take off the weight pouch harness and put on the webbing harness that came with it as a second setup option. Which means no detacheable weights so I got two pouches like in your picture. But I only need 8 pounds in tropical waters I put two pounds in each back trim and two pounds in each front pocket. With only 8 pounds and tropical waters with great viz I dont see a problem with the setup and I can take out 4 pds easily myself in a few seconds. Others wont know what to do really I guess if it came to that. the hydros also has a crotch strap like a bp/w too but I dont bother with that it never rides up or comes loose.

One thing I did do though is mount those pouches upside down so that when they open the weights fall out easy, basically if there is an issue you usually go vertical at least thats my take on it. Better than rightside up anyway as no one is usually upside down. If via some fluke one came loose while diving I would only lose 2 pounds. I think I can fin hard enough to counter that in case it happened.

you can also possibly spray paint the pouches yellow so as to be easily visible to others if others need to ditch your weight.

Something to ensure is that it is easy for the weight to fall out if you open it up. When helping to adjust trim underwater on other divers I've had to fight to get weights out of trim pockets. That is not a problem you want when you go to ditch. Often pockets designed for ditchable weight have a handle that you pull the inner pocket out with. Trim weight pockets do not have that.

I use the very similar ScubaPro Counter Weight Pockets as ditchable weights on the front of my sidemount harness, but with two one pound hard weights that fall out very easily once opened. On my backplate I have Halcyon ACB ditchable pockets and/or a weight belt with a few pounds on it. A weight belt made from webbing, a buckle, and two trim pockets only loosely filled is a very good option. Gives you incremental ditching, weight lower and on your body if you need it, a well known ditch option, and easy use of any lead from the dive op.

I have the same dilemna, I have a hydros pro which when tropical diving i take off the weight pouch harness and put on the webbing harness that came with it as a second setup option. Which means no detacheable weights so I got two pouches like in your picture. But I only need 8 pounds in tropical waters I put two pounds in each back trim and two pounds in each front pocket. With only 8 pounds and tropical waters with great viz I dont see a problem with the setup and I can take out 4 pds easily myself in a few seconds. Others wont know what to do really I guess if it came to that. the hydros also has a crotch strap like a bp/w too but I dont bother with that it never rides up or comes loose.

One thing I did do though is mount those pouches upside down so that when they open the weights fall out easy, basically if there is an issue you usually go vertical at least thats my take on it. Better than rightside up anyway as no one is usually upside down. If via some fluke one came loose while diving I would only lose 2 pounds. I think I can fin hard enough to counter that in case it happened.

you can also possibly spray paint the pouches yellow so as to be easily visible to others if others need to ditch your weight.

I do exactly the same as Scubadriverdale.
Works perfectly with my HydrosPro and much "cleaner" than the huge weight pockets supplied.
Yes, I could still ditch, (not that i ever had a reason to) But is this is a concern, just mount the pockets upside down so the weights fall out when the buckle is unclipped.

I do not know the Dive Rite product pictured, but my daughter uses the XS Scuba pouches for trim once in a while. Usually used in cold water as trim on her tank to take weight off of her belt. Mounted upside down, a 2lb weight would easily fall out. However, our 4lb weights end up wedged into the XS Scuba pouch pretty tightly, and would never fall out easily should they need to be ditched.

Tecline has pouches with ditchable weight attached to the webbing. I have used them in the past and they work ok.

My wife and I each have the Halcyon version used as trim weights on our upper tank straps. I don't see any reason why the ones you have selected couldn't work as ditchable weight pockets. About the same price as the Halcyon version, but without the secondary Velcro closure beneath the buckle closure.

..One thing I did do though is mount those pouches upside down so that when they open the weights fall out easy...

I do exactly the same as Scubadriverdale...

Add me along with these divers. Slightly different in that I use the Dive Rite Clipper pockets (velcro close only/no buckle). Mounted upside down on my waist belt with only a 1-3 lbs in each. One single motion>>Pull velcro flap>>>weights fall down.

They won't hold 10 or 15 nor 20 lbs, but if you are wearing that much weight in a BP&W,,this probably isn't the system for your warmer water dives. In the Florida summer hot dives I wear no ditchable weight.

I have used a number of the systems available for backplate harnesses.

These include:

Xsscuba highland horizontal pouches with inner dumpable pockets
Xsscuba trim pouches
Tech line trim pouches
Diverite horizontal pouches with dumpable cartridges
Ist vertical pouches
Ist trim pouches
Ist tec pouches with dring
XDeep horizontal pouches with dring
Scubapro trim pouches
Mares trim pouches
A few others that I cannot remember

I finally settled on the same Diverite travel pouches which you have identified but the version with the locking triglide. The dual buckle and Velcro flap arrangement is very secure particularly if you decide to mount them upside down. Although only rated for four pounds, I routinely put sixes in them.

If you use a static belt (triglide on the back of the plate), these work great as they do not move on the belt at all due to the triglide. That is the major weakness of most other trim pouches. Putting on a weight keeper or some other device to prevent them from moving is a bandaid.

On the other hand, if your plate is set up dynamically for the webbing to slide thru the plate, these may not work, as they may not allow you to position the weight in the proper place and still allow the webbbing to move thru the plate.

The Velcro version is more appropriate for use on tank bands where they cannot come off or move because they are pinned against the tank.

At one point I used the triglide version upside down. Now, I don’t think it is really necessary to put them on upside down. If you squeeze the bottom with the flap unbuckled the weights will pop out if you have them right side up.

Because they take up minimal realestate, they give you the freedom to position drings better which is the problem with all of the other weight pockets with built in drings.

On my single tank plate I have 2 triglide versions on the belt and 4 Velcro versions on the tank bands. There are two triglide pouches on my doubles plate waist band. I also use 2 on my sidemount stealth belt.

I have 2 of these on the waist belt of my harness:
XS Scuba Weight Pocket Quick Release

They are intended for precisely the application you have in mind. No need to mount anything upside down. I also have two (non-quick release) pockets on my cam bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom