Ditch the snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I move toward a DIR single tank rig ( I have a 120hps) I've begun to dive with a 7" hose (wrapped around my head). Should I continue having my snorkel on my mask (it catches the reg hose on some OOA drills), I don't use the snorkel that much except maybe on long surface swims in choppy seas?

Also, it seems that alternate air sources attached to the low infaltor hose going to ones' BCD are "looked down on" as non-DIR, probabley because they are hard to get at. I was sold one at my local dive shop because they told me it was easier to get to than an octapus that's draggin in the sand or clipped to your chest (guess they didn't think of attaching it around your neck). Am I right about this view of alt integrated air sources?

One more thing, should my 2nd backup reg (coming off a single first stage) come off the right side and just go right up to my neck (where it's attached), what should the hose lenght be?

Sorry if any of these questions are unclear. Thank you very much for your help, the links on DIR have cleared alot up for me, I can see the value in DIR diving and I'm trying to "get my act toghter." :)

Hi MASS-Diver,

You sound a lot like me - "single tank progressively moving to DIR Diver"! I've ditched the snorkel, more because it was a pain in the kelp, twisted my mask strap, and was a general nuisance throughout the dive. I still plan to use it one some dives though. Didn't today for a shore dive in Monterey and had no problems.

Your backup regulator will come from the right side, and rest under your neck on a necklace made from either bungee or surgical tubing (surgical tubing works fine for me). The "definitive" DIR hose length is 22" I think.

Do a search on the word "GUE" and you'll find lots of postings on here about DIR diving, and links to websites with lots of equipment pictures.

cheers

Ben

In a word... yes.
Snorkels are great for snorkeling.

As for the alternate air source on the BC inflator do a search on AIR II or wait until someone post the link for the discussion that has gone on about it.

If you get to take a DIR fundamentals class you will immediately come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea. I could give all the reasons why but:
1) you can read about them in the threads on scubaboard
2) you will only really get the picture after a DIRF
3) I don't want to get the Air II guys mad at me
:D

I use my snorkel frequently and you can't have it!
Just last week I was in Grand Cayman; the wall started about 250 yards out from the beach at my hotel... used my snorkel quite a bit swimming out to the wall before starting down. (Yes, I can swim on my back, too, but often don't want to)
If I am going to penetrate a wreck or dive a cave I leave the snorkel behind.
On rare occasions I carry a snorkel in my BC for use on the surface. Rare, because I don't like to do that.
As for the integrated safe second, my opinion is that this is a great rig for recreational open water diving, where all you'll ever do with one is make an ascent, but is not acceptable for overhead (physical or decompression) environments.
Rick :) :) :)

I haven't used my snorkel since my open water checkout dives. I say drop it. In my case it only leads to problems. It causes drag. Everyone has descended on their snorkel (or jumped off the boat with it in). Its another piece of gear to carry around and clean out. On long surface swims, I prefer to swim on my back. The only time I could see it being any use is if you are spending a long time floating in choppy water, but why are you diving in such bad conditions and why are you spending time on the surface?

Ditch it. I promise you won't miss it.

brandon

Just another entanglement hazard. Drop it. If you really want one for boat dives, get a folding one and put it in a pocket.

Originally posted by voidware
The only time I could see it being any use is if you are spending a long time floating in choppy water, but why are you diving in such bad conditions and why are you spending time on the surface?
Because... that's where the good diving is... and I'm not passing it up just because I need a snorkel to get there.
I say "Give yours up." I'm keeping mine.
As for swimming the open ocean on your back, go ahead... aspirating a little salt water every now and then is probably good for you.
Bottom line, I really don't have any druthers at all about what others choose to do re: snorkels. Nor does it affect my decision when folks list why they ditched theirs...
And as for MASS-Diver's question, I say "Make up your own mind."
Rick

No hard and fast rule on this. A couple comments though; Freediving spearfishermen (with snorkels) swim in kelp with no problems. Normally, they use a smooth J-pipe with no special valves, etc to catch on stuff. However, swimming on your back with SCUBA could be an entanglement issue. Also, the sea lions get a good shot at your arse.

I'm glad this question was asked. In my VERY limited experience, I too get annoyed with my snorkel. It twists my mask strap and gets twisted around in odd positions. I find myself trying to 'untangle' it more often then I use it. But at the same time, I don't want to get stuck somewhere without it and I do like to snorkel around a bit.

Could it be that some snorkels are better than others for the twisting part? Or maybe mine is just connected incorrectly (too far forward or backward from the mask).

The original poster indicated that he was moving toward DIR... and using the long hose....

The answer has to be *ditch the snorkel*... do not have a snorkel attached to your mask while using the long hose....

This is not because of the problems you will have in OOA drills....
It is because you will strip your mask off in a real OOA....

Now if you are not moving to DIR and are not using the long hose....
If you like snorkeling and don't mind having one dangling there unused for the majority of the dive then by all means have at it.

However I think that it is a unwarranted risk of entanglement for any scuba diver to wear a snorkel attached to the mask... better to keep it in your pocket and shove it up under the mask strap when snorkeling.

BTW... if you are moving toward DIR you should be carrying a spare mask in your pocket and not a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom