Ditch the 7 ft. hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was just making the point that, if you mess up and trap the long hose under your waist belt so that it is NOT deployable, you can still get the reg to the OOA diver, and then take the time to fix the problem. He's right -- I had to do this when I had unbuckled my waistbelt to attempt a valve drill and rebuckled it over the long hose. It's not a big deal, but it's a mistake you (hopefully) don't make twice.

Fair enough. In general though the buckle is not involved.

No -- if you have tucked the long hose under the waist belt correctly, and checked it with a mod S or with an S-drill after descent, the hose is rapidly and easily deployable. Unfortunately, since even the DIR are human :) it is possible to buckle the waist belt THROUGH the long hose and not notice it. The point is that there is enough slack to donate even so, and tidy up after the actual emergency has been dealt with.

Unfortunately, since even the DIR are human it is possible to buckle the waist belt THROUGH the long hose and not notice it.

The pre dive Mod S should catch that though :)

Well, that was the point about it taking several failures to end up in the water with a wrongly buckled belt -- although when it happened to me, we'd done all the predive stuff and the S drill, and it was later, when I tried the valve drill and unbuckled my belt to do that, that I misthreaded it when I put it back together. Even so, there was enough hose to get air to the OOA diver.

Ben_ca:
The pre dive Mod S should catch that though :)

nope, i've done that before, and if you really want to make sure that the long hose is deployable fully you want to make sure to deploy it fully before you dive.

buddy threw a planned s-drill on me at 100 fsw (i needed help burning off some helium in the backgas and he graciously volunteered) and i found that the long hose was routed under my waist belt. did not detect this with just a pre-dive mod-s.

lamont:
nope, i've done that before, and if you really want to make sure that the long hose is deployable fully you want to make sure to deploy it fully before you dive.

buddy threw a planned s-drill on me at 100 fsw (i needed help burning off some helium in the backgas and he graciously volunteered) and i found that the long hose was routed under my waist belt. did not detect this with just a pre-dive mod-s.

MOD-S is supposed to include full deployment of long hose, so I think it ought to catch this one.

Lamont,
I was taught that on a Mod-S drill is a full deployment of the hose.

Hold out second
Put in back up
Switch hands and release the rest of the hose... your right hand following it al the way to behind your head (Manifold)

So in my experience this will let you know if the hose is trapped or not

limeyx:
MOD-S is supposed to include full deployment of long hose, so I think it ought to catch this one.

okay, well, there's a lazy mod-s (that i'm obviously guilty of doing) which only makes sure that you don't have it clustered around the necklace which doesn't catch this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom