Ditch the 7 ft. hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
I didn't quite word it as well as I hoped, sorry.
The question still stands, though--would he be able to donate it if it was under his waist strap? Personally I'd rather not be the guy who needs air in that situation.

From the waist strap to the 2nd stage is about 3' of hose. Even if it you couldn't get it out of the strap, there's more than enough hose. BTW, fully deploying the long hose is part of the pre-dive check.

radinator:
Not 'under', think 'tucked into'.

And even if it were 'under', and you did not do a pre-dive check, and you did not do an OOA drill at the start of the dive it would not be a problem. (mind you: already three things have gone wrong here!)

You donate the longhose (still longer than an octopus hose from the waist), switch to the backup, take a breath. Look at your buddy and exchange an 'OK' sign. And then you open the buckle of your harness, take the longhose out and close the buckle. No need to hurry here. Both of you can breathe so there is no need to panic. Now you can fully deploy the hose and end the dive safely. (and hopefully learn from the experience and not make the same mistake again! ";-)

I'm coming in a little late, but not all of the stuff on wkpp.org is DIR as we know it today. If you pay attention to a certain picture, there is a 6th d-ring. Definetly not DIR by todays standards.

Those pictures are quite dated. Keep this in mind.

SparticleBrane:
I didn't quite word it as well as I hoped, sorry.
The question still stands, though--would he be able to donate it if it was under his waist strap? Personally I'd rather not be the guy who needs air in that situation.
Do you know how does "tucked under waist belt" look like? Similar to canister light cable when not deployed.

I don't have a canister light, sorry.

stick your finger between your waist and the top of your waist strap.....insert a length of reg hose and remove your finger. as you grab your reg and reach out to donate it, ducking your head in the process to unwrap the hose, it will deploy from the top of the waist strap and from behind your neck.

It's just like tucking in a shirt.

Out of curiosity, are you wrapping your hose in DIR way? Cheack it out, and focus on the details. e.g. Turn your head to the left while you are setting up the hose.
I am planning to switch to a 5 ft. hose too.

And then you open the buckle of your harness, take the longhose out and close the buckle.

You shouldn't have to unbuckle the harness to donate the longhose. I tuck mine in the waistbelt and deploy it as is without undoing the buckle.

This is a non-issue. 7' hose is manageable with a canister light or without one. If someone has trouble with the idea they should seek proper training.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom