Distribution block question.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not want to put words into anyone's mouth; however, it may be worthwhile to consider that one does not have to eat **** to know that the taste is awful... and one does not have to dive a convoluted piece of **** to form a strong opinion that it is a convoluted piece of ****.

That was just godamned poetic Steve, poetic! :)

You don't turn-off ALL your gas . . .only the tank with the downstream leak and disconnect its QC6 feed into the distribution block. You have your buddy there for long-hose donation OR tank swap-out if y'all need to negotiate a restriction on egress. As a last resort, you can always remove & replace that first stage reg with the downstream leak with another functional first stage from an empty tank (and hope you can clear & breath from it). . .

What if its not just a leak? What if you aren't getting gas out of your currently "on" tank. If you're carrying only two tanks, and you're breathing on the tank with the downstream problem, you've just turned off all your gas(since the "manifold" requires you to shut off the other tank to keep pressures evened for sidemount diving).

Thats a ridiculous situation to knowingly put yourself into!

Signal buddy *hold* and to watch me (if I call for it --he donates his long hose to me). Disconnect QC6 distribution block feed to tank that's currently OFF, get out back-up QC6 2nd stage Reg from pocket and attach to OFF tank's QC6 feed --now turn ON, flow check and breath that tank. Turn OFF the other tank that was previously charging the system but leave it still connected via QC6 to the distribution block. Egress and when the time comes to switch tanks, disconnect that tank's QC6 feed into the distribution block, and plug in your back-up QC6 2nd stage Reg, turn ON, flow check and breath the tank. Shut down the valve on the other tank. Alternate tanks as needed in this manner on the exit, or swap stage tanks along the way or go on long hose donation from buddy. . .

LOL!

You know what I do?

I put a regulator in my mouth and breath.

Yep, just breath.

I'm on my way out well before your done dicking around, breathing easily :wink:

a214553fe5c9_2mwdyjo.jpg

Last edited:
On the GUE Tech Manual Preface JJ writes
This is not to say that divers with a "liberal" [non-DIR] interpretation of diving practices will not find this work useful. To be sure, much of the information presented here reflects general concepts that can serve as building blocks toward a coherent conceptual framework. These pieces of information may be discarded, or worked into an existing framework. However, it is my hope that these ideas are taken as a whole...
Being a thinking diver should supersede being a DIR, or UTD or ABC diver. As thinking divers we should exercise our capacity reject concepts that we do not see as being the best for us. Being thinking divers should also empower us to go beyond dogma cooked up by others while we are in pursuit of our own best diving interests. Calling a certain set of ideas names like "Covenants" does not make it a sin to go against another idea proposed by the "Covenant" writer. Last time I checked, this is not the finger of God writing these "Covenants" into two stone tablets.

I think AG has done lots of good things for diving. I think he's done a great job developing UTD in such a short time. There is a considerable amount of very useful multimedia content that he has put forward in said short span. I also think it is commendable the way in which he tries to develop new ideas and tries to go out of the box. Does that mean I'll agree with every new idea the man brings forth and I'll start singing new songs of praise toward him? Certainly not. Having accomplished some good things in the past does not make him a divine leader.

As a non-sidemounter and non-caver here is how I am perceiving things:

• There are certain places where you cannot squeeze through in traditional backmounted DIR configuration.
  • There is no DIR sidemount
  • Attempting to create a sidemount configuration that tries to comply with some DIR procedural mechanics ends up in an abomination that sacrifices simplicity and reliability at the altar of some procedural mechanics.
  • There are much simpler and reliable sidemount options available.

LOL!

You know what I do?

I put a regulator in my mouth and breathe.

Hard to argue with that...

The logic of the many outweigh the logic of the few, or the one.

With apologies to SPOCK, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

... however, let's wait and see shall we?

Any system where the solution to fixing a leak involves turning off all your gas (still laughing at this) is poorly thought out. Does anyone need to dive it to be sure of that?

Just as I thought. You laughed at something and based your conclusion on hearsay which you happily took as a fact.

Do not want to put words into anyone's mouth; however, it may be worthwhile to consider that one does not have to eat **** to know that the taste is awful... and one does not have to dive a convoluted piece of **** to form a strong opinion that it is a convoluted piece of ****.

The principles of Bill Main's outlook -- which is not a bad starting point in a discussion about dive gear and kit configuration -- are: simple, serviced, standard, shared, suitable, and streamlined... I believe failure on three or four points constitutes a strike out and then some.

And of course the mention of Bill Hogarth Main's outlook on kit configuration is only rolled out here because one keeps seeing this tag "DIR Practioner". I am totally in the dark as to what that means, but I do know that guys like JJ stood on the shoulders of pioneers like Bill to develop later itterations of kit "lore." The bottom line is we would do well to go back to the source on occassion just to see what Muppetts we have become.

Off topic but relevant example: Royce Gracie does not look like he could do much damage but he did win the first ever UFC. Wing Chun looks really gay during practice but one proficient in it kicks serious a**.

In the same manner, just because something looks like **** does not necessary mean it is indeed ****. There was a time when the hogarthian setup was considered "convulated" too. An if we are constantly at the source, we'll all still be driving the Ford model T.

That was just godamned poetic Steve, poetic! :)

Sprinkling sugar on crap does not make it candy. Who cares if it is poetic or not?

LOL!

You know what I do?

I put a regulator in my mouth and breath.

Yep, just breath.

I'm on my way out well before your done dicking around, breathing easily :wink:

View attachment 117307

How? It was leaking, remember? Tell you what, to be fair, please explain what you will do from start to finish. Which regulator? How do you check etc?

As far as I see it, Kev was just breathing too :p

On the GUE Tech Manual Preface JJ writes Being a thinking diver should supersede being a DIR, or UTD or ABC diver. As thinking divers we should exercise our capacity reject concepts that we do not see as being the best for us. Being thinking divers should also empower us to go beyond dogma cooked up by others while we are in pursuit of our own best diving interests. Calling a certain set of ideas names like "Covenants" does not make it a sin to go against another idea proposed by the "Covenant" writer. Last time I checked, this is not the finger of God writing these "Covenants" into two stone tablets.

I think AG has done lots of good things for diving. I think he's done a great job developing UTD in such a short time. There is a considerable amount of very useful multimedia content that he has put forward in said short span. I also think it is commendable the way in which he tries to develop new ideas and tries to go out of the box. Does that mean I'll agree with every new idea the man brings forth and I'll start singing new songs of praise toward him? Certainly not. Having accomplished some good things in the past does not make him a divine leader.

As a non-sidemounter and non-caver here is how I am perceiving things:

• There are certain places where you cannot squeeze through in traditional backmounted DIR configuration.
  • There is no DIR sidemount
  • Attempting to create a sidemount configuration that tries to comply with some DIR procedural mechanics ends up in an abomination that sacrifices simplicity and reliability at the altar of some procedural mechanics.
  • There are much simpler and reliable sidemount options available.

It's sad that someone who is neither a sidemount diver or cave diver understands the situation better than a set of "cavers" attempting to design sidemount gear.

... stuff snipped... An if we are constantly at the source, we'll all still be driving the Ford model T.

I respectfully disagree. Your analogy is a poor one and your premise and conclusion therefore titter on faulty logic.

And do tell what you mean by:
1) "Wing Chun looks really gay..." For the record, I know the martial art, it's the allusion to gay that is problematic.
2) "There was a time when the hogarthian setup was considered "convulated"[sic] too." When exactly was that time and to what was it being compared?

I am genuinely curious on both counts. You may PM me if you wish.

2) "There was a time when the hogarthian setup was considered "convulated"[sic] too." When exactly was that time and to what was it being compared?

It was when the owner of a recreational dive shop ... who had never actually dived a hogarthian rig ... was telling everyone who would listen how hard it was to use one. He was, of course, comparing it to a ScubaPro Knighthawk or a Seaquest Black Diamond ... both of which he sold ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

(That really did happen, BTW ...)

Just as I thought. You laughed at something and based your conclusion on hearsay which you happily took as a fact.

What point of the Z system are you trying to drive home? Which supposed hearsay doesn't apply in reality?

Off topic but relevant example: Royce Gracie does not look like he could do much damage but he did win the first ever UFC. Wing Chun looks really gay during practice but one proficient in it kicks serious a**.

Who ****en cares about UFC? If you want to validate some form of scuba gear, fine, but nobody is here to talk about half-nekkid men groping all over each other.

In the same manner, just because something looks like **** does not necessary mean it is indeed ****. There was a time when the hogarthian setup was considered "convulated" too. An if we are constantly at the source, we'll all still be driving the Ford model T.

Your analogies are baseless. Smart innovation is happening all the time, but that doesn't mean bad ideas don't exist.

So what part of the Z system are you protecting and why are the deficiencies stated(many times at this point) incorrect or outweighed by some gain?

How? It was leaking, remember? Tell you what, to be fair, please explain what you will do from start to finish. Which regulator? How do you check etc?

How do I check? Its all right in front of me, there's no guesswork. There's no manifold on my back. My tanks are independant and at hand at all times. Simple right?

The example provided was originally due to a leaking long hose.

If I'm on the long hose, I swap to my other, readily available(and on), secondary regulator and start breathing. I then simply turn off the leaking regulator and exit.

If I'm already on my shorter hose, I simply continue to breath, turn the longhosed tank off, and exit.

It sounds so easy, because it is.

As far as I see it, Kev was just breathing too :p

If the problem wasn't a leak, and he had an issue with his long hose not delivering gas. He has a far more convoluted process than simply just breathing off an easily accessible and ready second stage. This is exactly what we've been discussing. If that thought is lost on you, please just go back to your MMA cuddle parties and let us discuss what works and what doesn't, mmmk? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom