Dissolving salt encrustation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best way to do this? It’s a somewhat non scuba related question in this case.
Just as FYI: I do not have a good ultrasonic bath yet (just the $ / Euro 20 kind picked up and an Aldi store that people use for jewelry and glasses cleaning. It seems to work (sound / feel), but I am not quite sure it does anything indeed.
The (easily replaceable) object I am trying to free (as a matter of not being defeated by “it”) is the zipper on a small silicone nylon pouch. It appears to be a metal zipper slider (pot metal?) on a plastic appearing zipper. Very small teeth. Eagle Creek brand. It is hopelessly stuck. In the zipper slider encrustations that appear to be salt are visible. Where I could reach them they can be broken off. I suspect so that the teethe are fused together with micro encrustations. Soaking in (initially warm) water for hours or days made no difference (so maybe it’s not salt???). The little jewelry cleaning bath with up to 600 second timer used many cycles makes no difference....

What else to try?

+1. I have a bunch of old padded pouches that come with Oceanic masks that I use for all sorts of stuff and when they get stuck/encrusted I usually hit them with WD40 and/or penetrating oil and then work the zipper gently back and forth with a pair of pliers. I am usually able to save them and once I get them working again I coat the zipper with some zipper wax. I rinse them very thoroughly before putting any actual dive gear back into them just in case some WD40/oil overspray got anywhere other than the zipper. You definitely don't want that stuff getting on any actual gear.

A mix of 50/50 water (warm is better) will do wonders in the US cleaner. It is most likely not salt but rather white color corrosion, I have seen it a lot on booties that were not rinsed properly. Don't let it stay in too long as the vinegar will erode the metal if it remains too long. Once you have it clear, remove all the white corrosion from the zipper rinse it well and lube it with silicone grease....works wonders on booties.

I was recommended saltx, but have been fortunate to dive fresh water shortly after salt water.

We use Salt-Away...or Salt-off. Both work well.

Toss your vinegar or save it for drinking!

full.jpg

full.jpg

https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...rself-of-that-verdigris-no-damage.208190/full

full

My friend uses a pressurised steam cleaner (commercial quality) to remove encrusted salt from car floors and mats. Works perfectly, no chemicals.
Could try it for equipment too.

Back
Top Bottom