Dispelling scubaboard myths (Part 1: It is the instructor not the agency)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little. The most deco I've done on one dive is about 55 minutes.
Umm. That's pretty standard. It isn't like you're trying to break a world record. Looking back at my logs, and diving completely open circuit, even 300 foot dives are only 90 minute runtimes, and 250 footers are less than an hour. I would not consider a dive that requires almost an hour of deco a little dive.

We normally have 70-80 run times on most of our OC dives. these are dives with a twin-12 and single 12L stage to a maximum depth of 50m.

I've had dives that were 90-odd min including the deco but it's hard to get that far into deco without using trimix and/or diving very deep. The 90 min dive was on air @ 36m with a bottom time of 50 min and an ascent of 40min, IIRC. this is about as far as I can go on OC with a twin 12 and still keep it safe.

The claim of 55 min deco is .. of course... absurd unless it was a very deep TX dive, for which the diver is not qualified.

R..

I am required to post a correction here. stuartv PM'd me that he has "close to 20" staged decompression dives. Based upon that he claims the label "technical diver".

Given the number and caliber of technical divers on SB, I find this claim unconvincing. However those are the facts.

R..
Really? I don't know the guy, but if he's taken a class on technical diving of some kind. He got a card that says he's certified to execute some kind of technical diving. Subsequently he executed 20 technical dives. Why wouldn't you call him a tech diver? I don't mean that as a rhetorical question. I'm curious about your opinion on the matter, maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Umm. That's pretty standard. It isn't like you're trying to break a world record. Looking back at my logs, and diving completely open circuit, even 300 foot dives are only 90 minute runtimes, and 250 footers are less than an hour. I would not consider a dive that requires almost an hour of deco a little dive.

Understood. I consider it a "little" dive because it was only to 130' and with only 1 deco gas. My dive profile on the Tarpon, off Hatteras, NC, is snipped from Subsurface and shown below. 102 minutes run time. 47 minutes bottom time.

Our primary target for that day's dive was a different wreck that lies at 150', but we had to divert because of the weather. We chose to dive air because Best Mix (EAN25 or TX25/20) for 150' is not much different and air is a lot less expensive than a custom blend of 25%. My buddy and I are both certified for Helitrox, so we could have used up to 20% Helium. But, we agreed that we were both comfortable diving to 150' without Helium in the conditions we were anticipating (i.e. warm water, great viz, little current and a purely sightseeing dive). All in all, Air instead of the expense of 25/20 was a choice we were both totally fine with.

I splashed and started to descend the anchor line. My buddy wasn't behind me, as expected, so I went back up to the hang line to wait for him. He had some problem just as he started to splash, so he was delayed getting in. We did the dive. We each carried a single AL80 of 80% (mine actually analyzed at 76%) for deco. We are both only certified for 1 deco gas, so while 2 gases would have shortened our hang, we chose to stick with our certification limits yet make the most of them. My Seabear computer always calls for a 3 minute safety stop, even on a deco dive, after the deco has cleared. Just for the extra safety margin, I normally accommodate it, if I can - as I did that day and you can see by how the green ceiling indicator is gone and I still had 3 or 4 minutes after that before I got out.

Tarpon07-16-17.png

The claim of 55 min deco is .. of course... absurd unless it was a very deep TX dive, for which the diver is not qualified.

R..

Did you say you're a tech instructor? Or just a recreational instructor and a tech diver?

Not to derail the thread, but I often dive air to 150 because I don't suffer the deco penalty helium gives me, and I'm not too narced. I am narced enough to feel it however.

Really? I don't know the guy, but if he's taken a class on technical diving of some kind. He got a card that says he's certified to execute some kind of technical diving. Subsequently he executed 20 technical dives. Why wouldn't you call him a tech diver? I don't mean that as a rhetorical question. I'm curious about your opinion on the matter, maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

I think I was being arrogant.

If someone has had the training and has done the dives then they qualify as a technical diver.

R..

Not to derail the thread, but I often dive air to 150 because I don't suffer the deco penalty helium gives me, and I'm not too narced. I am narced enough to feel it however.

Obviously, my number of dives is small and the number past 130' is miniscule. But, in the 150' range, I have felt anywhere from extremely clear to (more normal for me) just a little "dull". I have never felt totally stupid in that range. For good, benign conditions, I have no issue with using air to 150'. Though I realize that as I get more experience it is possible my opinion on that may change.

Did you say you're a tech instructor? Or just a recreational instructor and a tech diver?

I am not a technical instructor. I qualify for that role and have for many years. I have made (as of today) 489 "technical" dives. I was a "technical" diver before I became a PADI Dive Master. I've made over 2000 dives.

I am an active instructor and have been for 10 years or so .... As an instructor I choose to teach almost exclusively Open Water courses because I am passionate about giving newbie divers a head start.

To your way of thinking that makes me "just a recreational instructor" My students would qualify that differently.

R..

I am not a technical instructor. I qualify for that role and have for many years. I have made (as of today) 489 "technical" dives. I was a "technical" diver before I became a PADI Dive Master. I've made over 2000 dives.

I am an active instructor and have been for 10 years or so .... As an instructor I choose to teach almost exclusively Open Water courses because I am passionate about giving newbie divers a head start.

To your way of thinking that makes me "just a recreational instructor" My students would qualify that differently.

R..

My apologies if "just a recreational instructor" came across as denigrating. I didn't mean it way.

I am also still unclear on the answer to my question so let me rephrase it.

Obviously, you are certified as a recreational diving instructor. Are you also certified as an instructor to teach technical diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom