Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Jon ... why do you think diving with a clipped off octopus is "scary" and "unsafe"? Let's explore that for a moment, and see if perhaps you can see the point I'm getting at here. Keep it in the context of someone who has just finished OW, and has a total of 5 dives since then ...
Assuming they have just finished a weekend-wonder certification course, they likely won't have developed the proficency with their gear and general underwater comfort to reach down, find the octo, unclip it and hand to someone during an OOA emergency without causing a minor CF due to the delay. That's the best case scenerio. Worst case would be they reach down to find the octo has come unclipped or popped out of the breakaway holder (they used so their buddy could easily snatch if need be) and they now have to search for it.

Reasonable answer ... but recent grads of a week-end wonder course would be fundamentally "unsafe" regardless of the gear they are wearing

As long as we're making assumptions, let's assume the same diver is wearing a hog rig ... forgets to clip off the primary ... and surface swims out to the marker buoy. Where, now, do you suppose their primary is (hint ... think super-danglie).

BTW - I saw this happen in a Fundies class.

See, it's easy to think of ... or even see ... worst cases. Let's assume instead that we're talking about someone here who received reasonable OW training ... keeping in mind that such an assumption would include even those who are currently diving DIR.

We all started somewhere. Now ... it seems ... that some have "seen the light", they are too quick to brand others "unsafe" simply by looking at picture of the gear they are wearing.

God help all those millions out there who've been diving "unsafe" rigs recreationally all these years.

It's that kind of attitude that has plagued the DIR community since it's inception, to the detriment of everybody. Someone asked when will you grow up ... don't you think it's time for some of these DIR adherents who are so quick to condemn others simply by looking at their gear to ponder that question?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cornfed:
No, novadiver is annoying but not nearly as condecending as our ad hominem spewing friend.

Just to set the record straight. I once started a post on a subject that I wanted to know more about,I was new to this board,and I was guickly set apon by the GUE DIR crowd. At that point I decided not to take s@#t from anyone that has flamed me or anyone that has insulted me. So in conclusion, I will give no quarter, show no mercy, and take no prisoners to anyone that can't show respect to the divers on this board. That's DIR to me. If you find me annoying, than show some respect to others, and I'll show some respect to you.

Northeastwrecks:
It's not discrimination to exclude a person from participating in a class if the person is not capable of performing the essential functions needed to pass the course.

With an appropriate accomodation?

NWGratefulDiver:
Reasonable answer ... but recent grads of a week-end wonder course would be fundamentally "unsafe" regardless of the gear they are wearing
On the service it does seem like a bit of a strawman. However given the average level of dive skill you see coming out of OW it's not that big of a stretch.

NWGratefulDiver:
BTW - I saw this happen in a Fundies class.
I'm not ignoring this, I genuinely don't know what to say.

NWGratefulDiver:
Someone asked when will you grow up ... don't you think it's time for some of these DIR adherents who are so quick to condemn others simply by looking at their gear to ponder that question?
I still think it's reasonable to say someone isn't DIR buy looking at their gear. That said, there is no way anyone can say someone is a stroke or unsafe simply by looking at their gear.

novadiver:
Who calls someone DUDE?please grow up.:)

The dude abides.

Thie thread did not get to 500 by the weekend. Didn't someone lose a bet?

novadiver:
If you find me annoying, than show some respect to others, and I'll show some respect to you.
O-Ring and I have been picking on you throughout this thread. I thought it was all in good humor because you've given just as good as you've gotten. Maybe I should have called you "Dude" or used a few smilies.

Everything cool now, dude? :D :wink: :1poke:

cornfed:
O-Ring and I have been picking on you throughout this thread. I thought it was all in good humor because you've given just as good as you've gotten. Maybe I should have called you "Dude" or used a few smilies.

Everything cool now, dude? :D :wink: :1poke:

Thank you (I think) just quit calling me dude! Maybe you can replace DUDE with SIR :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom