Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think this thread will crack 500 by the weekend? Anyone making odds?

MikeFerrara:
I'm not sure what your point is but it looks like fun but lets try it.

The primary difference is that models like RGBM and VPM also take gas in the free phase into account. Characteristically this results in schedules that start stops deeper, have more time in the deep and intermediate stops and less in the shallow stops.

Define safe. It's not a dive that I would do by any stretch of the imagination.

If I had my way I'd pull the ticket of any one who put this question on a real test.

Do you mean 1.6 ATA PPO2 or just 1.6 ATA which is about 20 fsw.

The NOAA recommended exposure limits allow for 45 minutes at a PPO2 of 1.6 ATA and equate it to 100 percent CNS exposure. However that does not mean that you will tox then. In fact time has not proven to be a very good predictor at all. In fact divers routinely do dives that expose them to many many time the NOAA recommended exposure limits with no ill effects through the sue of techniques that you won't find mentioned in the NOAA manual.

What do you consider as possible? Are you refering to O2 exposure, narcosis...what?

Who cares? Dives have been done on air below 500 ft and many have been done in excess of 250 ft. Hal Watts teaches air to 240 ft on a regular basis.

Now days many of us prefer not to go much below 100 ft without helium and dive "air" as little as possible at any depth.

DAN in their anual accident report.

Which goat. Some are used for milk, some meat, some are pets, some are wild and do what they want and others are subjects for scientific experiments like the old goat benders goat.

Yes and PADI has proven it beyond any reasonable doubt.

You now have my complete respect . not many people know that a farm animal has done more for dive safety than any human.:) and it would surprise most to find out that the dive profile in question 2 comes from the ndl table circa 1978 ( U.S Navy) thanks for your input!

The rest get the Kool aid ,

novadiver:
You now have my complete respect . not many people know that a farm animal has done more for dive safety than any human.:) and it would surprise most to find out that the dive profile in question 2 comes from the ndl table circa 1978 ( U.S Navy) thanks for your input!

While this is interesting history, how does this knowledge make me a safer diver?

novadiver:
and it would surprise most to find out that the dive profile in question 2 comes from the ndl table circa 1978 ( U.S Navy) thanks for your input!

Not really a surprise but the only thing I use the Navy tables for is as an example when teaching. I don't care to dive them.

Soggy:
While this is interesting history, how does this knowledge make me a safer diver?

If a shark pushes you off a deco stop , It's nice to know that a painfull death is not a "sure thing " Every diver should know ALL the limits,

novadiver:
If a shark pushes you off a deco stop , It's nice to know that a painfull death is not a "sure thing " Every diver should know ALL the limits,

Wait...Is this goat on the stop with me? Now I'm confused.

Understanding decompression theory is important, clearly, but the history of the use of goats in hyberbaric medicine isn't really what I would call "practical" knowledge. That's more "trivial pursuit" knowledge.

MikeFerrara:
Not really a surprise but the only thing I use the Navy tables for is as an example when teaching. I don't care to dive them.

In thirty years, some young kid is going to say the same about us. History and science often rides the backs of the fallen.

Soggy:
Wait...Is this goat on the stop with me? Now I'm confused.

Understanding decompression theory is important, clearly, but the history of the use of goats in hyberbaric medicine isn't really what I would call "practical" knowledge. That's more "trivial pursuit" knowledge.

It could be a goat with KOOL AID!!!!

novadiver:
You now have my complete respect . not many people know that a farm animal has done more for dive safety than any human.
icosm14.gif
and it would surprise most to find out that the dive profile in question 2 comes from the ndl table circa 1978 ( U.S Navy) thanks for your input!
Well, I thought that Haldane and the goats was common knowledge? We've come a long way since those early tables, eh?

With regards to the 1978 Navy tables, it does not surprise me one bit. People used to do a lot of things that aren't considered too bright anymore. Progress is a good thing sometimes!

Did you specifically choose 1978 Navy tables for the fact that the Jonestown Massacre happened in 1978? Interesting coincidence, if not.

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom