Disabled Accessable Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am writing this message because I broke my back a week ago (I have a split compression fracture of my L2 vertebrae), it looks like it will heal, but it will be a long slow road, with the next couple of months in a brace, etc. My biggest problem as it relates to diving over the next couple of years will be weight limitations on carrying gear, as well as range of motion potential problems (getting on/off rocking boats, etc.)

I am therefore looking for advice on the best dive resorts that work with special needs divers (added help entering/exiting boat / water), places that have protected water docks, full service gear handling, etc.

Thanks Ike

So sorry to hear about your injury!
Many dive operations will be happy to help you get into your gear and out of it while you are in the water. (I would expect you to pay nice tips for this service though.) We have seen several dive ops do this for people with various injuries (back, hip, knee..)

Liveaboards can be excellent for this as they usually moor at a dive site. Not all liveaboards, but some... Look at Kona Aggressor, Belize Aggressor or Peter Hughes Belize boat, Aquacat in Bahamas. All of them should be able to accomodate you.

As for land-based ops:
I would highly recommend CocoView Resort in Roatan. They boats are designed so that you step right into the water, so you could get in water and the DM could help you put on the BC/Tank right there next to boat at surface and returning to boat would work the same. Very easy.. Plus they have great shore diving and you could get someone to walk your gear out into waste deep water for you to put on. CoCo View Resort Roatan Scuba Roatan Diving located in Roatan, Honduras diving, scuba and snorkeling.

Bonaire is another place where the seas tend to be very calm and all the oceanfront resorts have easy access shore diving. We stayed at Buddy Dive and it would be easy to have someone (there are always DMs there at dock) bring our BC/tank down to you at the water, and let you climb in and out on the ladder.
check out my video:
[vimeo]3207050[/vimeo]
The boat diving in Bonaire is good, too, but it is mostly known for shore diving on your own. I would recommend you hire a DM to go do shore dives with you, or find a buddy who would be willing to walk you tank in and out of water for you. It is very doable.
my other Bonaire videos: Bonaire, 2007 on Vimeo

those are just a few suggestions, I hope they get you started.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom