DIRF, A Sobering Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by detroit diver
Ah ha! I just remembered the name of that drysuit underwear-

it's Ocean Concepts.

Takes me a while......
Well actually it is Diving Concepts but we'll accept your answer for partial credit since you worked so hard at trying to remember it.:wink:

Originally posted by Tavi
To all

With your harnesses adjusted tighter, are you able to easily get in and out of your harness???
Yes... very easy... in or out of the water... but it took time to get to that point so don't give up and loosen things back up......

Oh.... I see that you already did.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Yes... very easy... in or out of the water... but it took time to get to that point so don't give up and loosen things back up......

Oh.... I see that you already did.

I'm tightening things back up!!

Welcome back Uncle Pug

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Well actually it is Diving Concepts but we'll accept your answer for partial credit since you worked so hard at trying to remember it.:wink:

Yeh, that's the ticket. Yeh.

Thanks.

But since the Diving Concepts undies are soooooo expensive...
I am completely happy (and flexible) with my custom sewn polatec undies...
Especially at $155 for the 300 gram.

I can't remember the URL but Tom (wreckwriter) knows it.

So.... first off.... as a new diver... would it be wise to wait, or search out DIRF classes in my area now?

And...
Lost Yooper... I am glad you have changed your mind about possibly no longer diving. I actually have learned a great deal from you and others.... Uncle Pug, etc.. It would be a big loss to many new divers to lose input from you. Even if what has been taught needs to be reevaluated..... from time to time.... you have lead many in the right direction with your efforts, trial and errors, etc.. Even now.... in your reflection of what you have seen.... you are continuing to teach others. Do you realize that?

I believe, that diving HAS come a long way. Albeit slowly... things have changed, and progressed. And I think the future of diving will continue to improve from experiences like what you have had.
It is the, learning and knowledge for instance, what you have brought to this board that will in fact make these changes come about. If you stop for a minute... it is actually really exciting to think of the future of diving.

These things that you have experienced/seen.... one day will be commonplace in diving. I believe this.

My instructor was very open to my using a DIR setup.... even though I stood out like a black sheep during my OW cert. I thought that was admirable of my instructor, to allow me to use my DIR rig, even though he had little knowledge of how it worked.
He did take time to research in a hurry for me, so that he understood the basic idea/concepts to the rig. At first I actually thought he might be setting me up for failure..... so that I would never, ever think of using my setup ever again.

I could not believe the lack of knowledge from several OTHER dive instructors, and remember actually having to argue with one instructor regarding my bungied backup. He insisted that I was an idiot, and that in all of his diving he had NEVER seen such a setup. I just laughed and and tried to stay focused and not let his insulting comments accelerate my nervousness on my very first dive. But MY dive instructor..... was open to learning about what he knew little about. They are out there. They are beginning to learn. It IS happening.

I believe I was a natural at diving.... but I also believe that a lot of my successes had to do with things I have learned from you and others like yourself. In a way I was prepared even before I went in the water on my first dive.... just from what I had read and learned from places like this forum. It put me far ahead of my other classmates.

I am not much of a writer..... but just wanted to say thanks in a round about way.

I like everyone else... want to be the best diver I can be. Maybe before I pick up bad habits... I should be searching out those that can really help me in my diving skills, and prepare me for what you saw/experienced first hand.

How can I find more of the caliber of divers, and classes like those you had the opportunity to participate with/in?

I am in S. Calif. Home of the Channel Islands. :)

Thanks again LY. Glad you are back.... had not seen you on for a while.

I just took DIR F, have 60 dives, and would recommend the class at any time in your dive career. Some guidelines I have seen suggest 35+ dives but that is not held in all cases.

One way to meet other like minded divers is to get the DIR F class going in your area. Contact Andrew or Mike and they can fill you in on the details. I had inquired a lot around here but not really run into anyone, but once we got the class going I met quite a few.

Is there a Halcyon or tech dive shop in the area that would sponsor the class?

That is really great on your instructor. I am impressed. You have started to see how crazy some "leaders" in the dive industry are.

I just saw that you are in Southern Cal, that is where Mike Kane lives you may want to just shoot him an email with your questions.

mhkane@prodigy.net

Tommy

I signed up for a DIRF class in Houston August 16-18. I just got my DIRF book in as well, and have almost finished reading it. I will post my comments on the book and class as soon as I am finished for anyone that is interested in reading.

BTW, thanks to Maddiver for letting me know about the class and following up with me about it. I am looking forward to the experience.

Cybordolphin,

First of all, congrats on your OW cert. Get a few dives under your belt and take a DIRF class. It will be the best time/money you have ever spent.

Mike Kane is one of the GUE instructors. He lives in the L.A. area.

Tombiowami,

re: no of dives to take the class. In our class a couple of weeks ago, we had a diver with just 12 dives logged. It was really the right time to take the class, and Andrew was happy that he was there. One thing it does for you is to avoid spending hard earned money on B.S. c-cards. It also shows you what to strive for. (oh yeah, I forgot-you took the class!!!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom