DIRF, A Sobering Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the kind words, Cyberdolphin. I think the sooner you can jump into a DIRF class, the sooner you'll start heading in the right direction. Don't fall into the card collection schemes that so many divers get into -- that's an utter waste of time and money. Stay away from the agencies that place profit over skill proficiency -- about 99% of them.

I may be wrong, but I thought Mike Kane was organizing a free DIR demo class in California somewhere. I thought I read something to that effect on Quest last week. E-mail Mike and see what's up in your neck of the woods.

You may not know it yet, but you are in a perfect position to become a really great diver. You're starting out on a good step that most of us didn't (and most won't). The bad habits you currently have are freshly planted and can be easily discarded. You're very lucky.

Take care,

Mike

DD, I think we had a class right after yours and he brought up the 12 dive diver as an example. They discussed a good bit about their move to incorporate DIR F into standard OW courses (not sure what agency they teach out of now) and eventually into a GUE OW course.

I have researched the class quite a bit and read numerous reviews. It does not sound like there is really much difference between divers with 100s of dives and ones with just a few.

That was certainly representative of our class.

Tommy

Tommy,

They're actually beta testing a GUE open water course. When they get the course done, you'll be able to take it and get certified the right way. For instance, they stress the bouyancy issue and don't allow kneeling on the bottom to do skills.

My only concern is for C-card acceptance when travelling.

detroit diver once bubbled...
My only concern is for C-card acceptance when travelling.
...that won't be a problem...

"GUE is internationally recognized as the premiere institution for dive training, research, and explortation."

...or so says the card... and offers a 1*800 number and web URL for more information.

Of course the card that really counts isn't a card at all...
$$$ or £££ or ¥¥¥ or whatever works in your part of the world...

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...that won't be a problem...

"GUE is internationally recognized as the premiere institution for dive training, research, and explortation."

...or so says the card... and offers a 1*800 number and web URL for more information.

Of course the card that really counts isn't a card at all...
$$$ or £££ or ¥¥¥ or whatever works in your part of the world...

I get weird enough looks as it is with a hose wrapped around my head and one bungeed to my neck. Imagine trying to talk someone into accepting a c-card from GUE looking like that!

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be really unfortunate to spend a lot of money and time travelling and not be able to dive. 800 numbers are not good from a lot of places. Especially when they don't speak much English!

detroit diver once bubbled...
I get weird enough looks as it is with a hose wrapped around my head and one bungeed to my neck.
Jack... you just assumed that the looks were directed at the equipment configuration....

Anyway... I suppose I'll have to card you when you come out here in a couple of weeks.... just to make sure you know how to dive....

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Jack... you just assumed that the looks were directed at the equipment configuration....

You've got a point there!!

Anyway... I suppose I'll have to card you when you come out here in a couple of weeks.... just to make sure you know how to dive....

If I show you my PADI card, you might not let me on the boat!! I'll wear my GUE shirt-will that work?

I land around 11am or so. I don't know how long it is from the airport to you, but I'd love to dive that day if possible. If not, the next morning will be great.

I'll bring more than one shirt....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom