DIR, WKPP, GUE, and Halcyon Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...

Putting all that other stuff aside ... I, for one, hope you reconsider and write the article.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And I second that!

If you are who you claimed you are, the article would prove very interesting read indeed!

:wacko:

Wow! William H. Main! This is good stuff. I always kid my employees about, "I saw it in a movie once, killed a couple hands, but they got it done" when taking on a task that's tricky. Seems the Beverly Hills gang might have some crawfishin' to do......

tony 13,4,58

More personal character assasination whilst lacking in clear facts and explanations.

The usual "im right, everyone else is wrong" illusional arrogance.

Exactly what you'd expect from someone as arrogant and self important as GI3 (what happened to the first 2 anyway ? Were they non DIR?)

String once bubbled...
what happened to the first 2 anyway?

Which two?

WOW I've never read anything from GI. I can see why some don't like him and hence why DIR has such a negative effect on a lot of people.

What does it matter who did what and who is/was the better diver in this group?

The fact of the matter is that we all have strong opinions on how to dive. We all feel insulted when someone with equally strong opinions calls us out for something that we believe in.

Obviously Mr. Main and Mssrs. Jablonski and Irvine have had a falling out. Just as obviously, Jarrod Jablonski and George Irvine used many of Bill Main's ideas for configuration. From what I know of the earlier divers, George Irvine may be and probably is correct on Bill Main's buddy skills. At that time, according to my books, diving was a rough and tumble sport. Many of the earlier divers were solo divers and felt that if you truly belonged in a potentially hazardous situation, you had better be capable of self-rescue. So they weren't going to worry about you. To me, let these guys go after each other on the internet! In the meantime, take the best that each has to offer and let us try to integrate into our own "skills package". One of the major appeals to DIR from what I understand is the buddy awareness that is preached.

Little (expletive deleted, sorry but I can't think of a good way to say it) contests like what is observed with Mr. Irvine and Mr. Main here are one of the main things that I think about when I learn more about diving. Please, don't let me be as nasty to anyone or treat former friends the way that these guys do with each other! The worst part of it: the more I learn about diving, the worst that the outright verbal abuse between participants gets. This is ridiculous! We all have different opinions and those opinions change as we grow into the sport. These opinions do NOT have to (nor should they) degenerate into shouting matches, name calling, and sarcasm like they seem to here (and this is TAME here). Enough already!

Mr. Jablonski very eloquently stated his position. I understand it. Mr. Irvine acted like an intelligent horse's rear. I understand that. That is apparently his personality. I understand that Mr. Main felt a little upset by what he felt was misrepresentation of his system with the first two. Maybe it was misrepresentation, maybe it wasn't. Does it matter at this point? I appreciate the time that these pioneers are spending to make their points.

Personally, I will always be more impressed by the people that just dive within their personal limits and don't feel impressed enough with themselves to not ask somebody new why they do something. Maybe the newbie came up with a better idea or maybe they just need correction. How do you know if you basically challenge the "different" diver to duel immediately with the tone of your question?

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. Sometimes, I think that we all take ourselves a little too seriously, that's all. (Finger points at himself as well).:)

Col.Cluster once bubbled...

<snip hostile b.s.>

. Now he is bitter about me and about Jarrod, and feels he gets no respect from either one of us

<snip>

Good LORD! I wonder how THAT could have happend.... :rolleyes:

How any human being with even the slightest modicum of self-esteem could tolerate this abusive-father-figure crapola is quite beyond me.

The fact that Bill Main doesn't is proof to me that he's ok.

DIR can have thier Darth Vader. I would recommend that the rest of us go diving and have fun and leave the mentally ill to rot in their own hate.

R..

diverbrian once bubbled...
What does it matter who did what and who is/was the better diver in this group?

Dude, we're online... of course it matters! :wink:

If GI3 wants to post here he can do so as long as he complies with the TOS. Consequently, the offending post has been cut and NO, William Main did not ask me to do that.

BTW, that was THE REAL Bill Hogarth Main who posted earlier and he will be contributing more. He promised me so, and I think we can take him at his word. I just got through with a lengthy conversation with him on the phone and he is quite an interesting fellow. Very humble and down to earth. We can expect to hear about Hogarthian diving (though he will not be comparing it to other disciplines), the history of cave diving from someone who was there from pretty near the beginning, and some interesting/humorous anecdotes. Who knows, maybe I'll even get to dive with him sometime!

I extend a hearty Scubaboard welcome to both Jarrod and "Hogarth" and hope that they post here often!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom