DIR will end my teaching career.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got in a LDS when I brought up the fact that I had purchased a BP+Wing was something that legends could be written about.

Ditto the same reaction on a local dive boat - the operator of which, I later learned, owned said shop.

That has contributed greatly to my attitude towards them, as you might imagine, as time has gone by, and probably not with the kind of results (financially) that they'd like.

While I admit my knowledge of DIR is very limited although I have read some of the material on the GUE Website, I'll leave my opinions of DIR alone for now.

While its easy to say "more time" is required to teach, the REALITY is that most instructors DO work for a LDS. Most instructors dont have the resources to open a shop or marketing ability or finances to be independant and therefore we must work within the confines of our LDS's politics and policies.

I agree it would be nice to have more time with students but the issue really boils down to a matter of money. Students get what they pay for. As it is.. as im sure some of you know.. instructors dont make much money. While I would love to spend more time with my students, its just not feasible with the pay the shops pay instructors on average. Like someone had mentioned, we dont control the times or dates and most often than not are limited by the time we can be with our students (ie: how long the pool has been rented for).

The Recreational agencies goal in my opinion is to training the basics of diving.. is hovering while replacing a mask a basic skill? Well to some maybe it is.. would I expected my student to drop to the bottom to replace it? no.. I'll tell you.. I was never taught to hover while doing a mask removal and replacement but I sure as hell can do it as I'm sure you can to.., but since I had the fundamentals of mask removal its easy to apply that to other situations. Their are way to many variables in diving to spend countless hours preparing a student for every possible problem they could encounter nor is it practical. Teach the basic fundamentals and rest will come naturally with time and experience.

Listen, if your intent on diving within your LDS and you feel strongly about DIRf than teach within the limits of LDS and do what you were taught to do.. promote continuing education.. give them your name and number and promote DIR as a private class, 1 on 1.

Ryan Stone
IDCS

shellbird once bubbled...
I only wish I had read it before taking my OW class at my LDS. I think I wouldn't have been so naive in thinking I had this terrific 8-week course, which I am now finding out was lacking. Bummer...:upset:

You are very fortunate.

First, you are diving
Second, you know that you missed something
Third, you know what you missed - now you can go get it.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...

You are very fortunate.

First, you are diving
Second, you know that you missed something
Third, you know what you missed - now you can go get it.

I have learned a great deal from SCUBABOARD and the contacts and buddies I have met and dove with from this website. It has proved to be an invaluable resource.

Would like to see my LDS take interest, seems as if they are stuck in their ways.

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
<<

Will the typical LDS ever take DIR seriously? SA

Probably not
Why?

There is only a market for about 5 (wag)totally DIR shops in the country. If a shop only sells BP/wings/ and DIR gear (Scubapro or Apeks), then the store is very limited on profits (a necessary thing to keep doors open). The markup on Halcyon and Dive Rite is very small compared to recreational gear. Plus, most people order the stuff off the internet.

For the sake of recreational diving, I hope the LDS in your area never does because I would hate to see them close their doors.

Cheers and fun teaching

I don't think shops need to go strictly DIR in they're equipment sales. They do, however, need someone who has the knowledge and the willingness to sell BOTH types of gear.

There will always be folks who don't want to know about DIR, and there are others that are interested in all aspects of diving. My local LDS was persuaded to put in a section of Halcyon equipment alongside the Scubabpro, Mares, and other goods, and they can't keep stock in the Halcyon product. It's actually expanded the business. They are now (6 months later) at the highest level of the dealer tier.

DIR is no longer just a passing note. People are actively searching for DIR product regardless of brand. There is money to be made selling these goods.

I hope you are right, Detroit.

Back
Top Bottom