DIR view of Sidemounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent answer Rtodd...

Although, I would not necessarily limit disabled divers to a single tank. Actually in my experiences with the less than able-bodied they are all unique human beings. And their accomodations should be equally unique. Some paralyzed, some amputees, some with back problems or whatever. The real golden rule for "disabled" people is to work with their strengths and weaknesses individually. Disabled divers may be DIR or damned close to it. "Being DIR" is more about mindset than gear anyway. And sidemounting everything is not part of that mindset.

RTodd:
From a gear standpoint, the rebreathers mostly fit. From a philosophy standpoint, you only incur the extra risk if you don't have a choice. As an oversimplification, the DIR stance on rebreathers and sidemount is, only use it if you have to. For RB80 style dives, there is a higher number of people whose diving has a need for rebreathers so GUE teaches it. However, my view is it is way too easy for those things to kill you and they only way to use them is in a very safety conscious team environment such as the WKPP. And then, only if you must.

All good points, and I have essentially zero interest in any kind of rebreather or sidemount (although the gas consumption of an RB is a really nice thing)

Wasn't the recent cave connection in MX done on side (or even no)-mount? (The Systema sac actun 500K connection). Or maybe the sidemount wasn't strictly required?

rjack321:
Excellent answer Rtodd...

Although, I would not necessarily limit disabled divers to a single tank. Actually in my experiences with the less than able-bodied they are all unique human beings. And their accomodations should be equally unique. Some paralyzed, some amputees, some with back problems or whatever. The real golden rule for "disabled" people is to work with their strengths and weaknesses individually. Disabled divers may be DIR or damned close to it. "Being DIR" is more about mindset than gear anyway. And sidemounting everything is not part of that mindset.

I used to volunteer for the HSA or whatever it is called and a good friend is one of the original founders. It is a great program, particularly for the pool rehab portions. But, the only reason for more than a single tank is for overhead diving (deco, cave, etc.) The DCS risks not to mention the fact that they are simply less physically able to deal with things going sideways relegates those with back problems, parapalegics, etc. out of this part of the game. They sure wouldn't pass a GUE physical and that about ends the discussion.

limeyx:
All good points, and I have essentially zero interest in any kind of rebreather or sidemount (although the gas consumption of an RB is a really nice thing)

Wasn't the recent cave connection in MX done on side (or even no)-mount? (The Systema sac actun 500K connection). Or maybe the sidemount wasn't strictly required?

I don't think that was a DIR team so can't really comment. But, I try not to follow the depressing state of Mexican cave diving too closely. A huge percentage of the guys down there still dive sidemount for just about everything. Assuming it was a small squirly connection, sidemount may have been required. But, actually connecting these caves once you have the tunnels mapped and going together doesn't add much to the science other than getting to claim you connected it.

Well I guess it comes down to 2 distinct camps.

1. Those that want to explore, discover new organisms, and map out new systems

2. Those that are happy to boldly go where everyone else has gone before.

Nothing wrong with either one.

I believe I have my answer, thank you all.

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
Well I guess it comes down to 2 distinct camps.

1. Those that want to explore, discover new organisms, and map out new systems

2. Those that are happy to boldly go where everyone else has gone before.

Nothing wrong with either one.

I believe I have my answer, thank you all.

Mike
How you got there from this thread will forever remain a mystery.

JeffG:
How you got there from this thread will forever remain a mystery.

In hopes of offending the $^R@K#$, it makes perfect sense how he got there. Sidemount is a way for those who are unwilling to take the time to develop the skills necessary to properly explore cave with going passage to "boldly explore". Most of the good cave now requires you to go pretty long distances to find unexplored passages. Unlike a single stage swim dive, this isn't easy. Laying line in a side tunnel you can swim to. Well, that isn't very difficult. Of course, the odds of getting any usable survey data, the truly important part, from those taking the easy route are pretty low.

RTodd:
I don't think that was a DIR team so can't really comment. But, I try not to follow the depressing state of Mexican cave diving too closely. A huge percentage of the guys down there still dive sidemount for just about everything. Assuming it was a small squirly connection, sidemount may have been required. But, actually connecting these caves once you have the tunnels mapped and going together doesn't add much to the science other than getting to claim you connected it.

I dont think it was either.

RTodd:
I used to volunteer for the HSA or whatever it is called and a good friend is one of the original founders. It is a great program, particularly for the pool rehab portions. But, the only reason for more than a single tank is for overhead diving (deco, cave, etc.) The DCS risks not to mention the fact that they are simply less physically able to deal with things going sideways relegates those with back problems, parapalegics, etc. out of this part of the game. They sure wouldn't pass a GUE physical and that about ends the discussion.

There's a physical? A swim test, and breathhold swim are all I'm aware of. There's zero data on DCS in parapalegics so that's a pretty sh&tty reason to exclude them. If their teams are happy with their capabilities rather than their handicaps that's all that really matters. I know a variety T1 dives well suited for the handicapped (e.g. no current, straight up, straight down profile). And I imagine there are certain caves which are also plausible. Are they the deepest, darkest exploration dives, no. Are they by default limited to recreational dives, I don't think so. Here's a good example of someone who has much potential.

http://www.direxplorers.com/general-diving-forum/1474-paraplegic-dir-diver.html#post14198

Regardless, sidemount is a poor choice for a DIR diver that doesn't actually need it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom