DIR take on drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a material type mandated? Trilam, crushed neoprene, etc...
Also what are some of the other requirements like pocket type. Bellows on both sides, no zippers?
DUI CF200X ok?
Does it have to be drygloves? if so which rings?

Here is an article written by Dave Sweetin:

http://www.dui-online.com/tech_tls_sweetin.html

I think that there may be a more "updated" checklist somewhere, but I have not seen it.

I'll be interested in seeing something newer with all of the "best practices" included if it's out there, because I'm interested in getting a dry suit later this year myself.

Christian

I dunno ... seems to go through a few changes from time to time.

When I worked for the local GUE shop I ordered a drysuit (DUI TLS350, of course). I ordered it with two pockets, assuming that meant bellows pockets.

When I got the suit, it had this silly little flat neoprene pocket on the right side. The shop owner explained that's what DIR divers used ... that the only thing going in that pocket would be wet notes.

After trying it for a while, I sent it back to DUI and asked them to put a real pocket on that side. I'm much happier being able to actually get into the pocket while wearing dry gloves.

Meanwhile, I guess the GUE gurus decided it wasn't one of their better ideas ... they've since gone back to using two bellows pockets ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The flat pocket is a cave specific issue as I understand. Go with bellows on both sides. Left is utility items and right is for back-up items.

Jim

LAJim:
The flat pocket is a cave specific issue as I understand. Go with bellows on both sides. Left is utility items and right is for back-up items.

Jim
Bellows pockets on both sides would be one of the things that is different from the article that I linked to.

This was a procedure that has been updated and revealed in this document:

http://gue.com/Training/ProceduralChanges/nov2006changes.pdf

Here is the text in case someone does not have Acrobat Reader installed:

GUE:
Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets
The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver. Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

So now it's "utility" items on the left and "safety" items on the right. In fact, that reminds me that I need to start carrying my backup mask on the right! I need more room on the left anyway. :wink:

Christian

The flat pocket was an idea that didn't work out. Took a couple years to be obvious and work its way around the rank and file.

And people say we're not receptive to change :D

As long as the rings allow a neoprene seal underneath that's cool. I don't think its against any rules to not have a seal under the dryglove, but most people want them. Get yourself some little tubes to exchange gas from suit to glove and back.

So it has to be trilaminate?

Ask TSandM--I've heard her spiel on drysuits and how they're a personal choice since they don't affect the team as long as they keep you warm. It's a good writeup she did...now if I could only find that post....

SparticleBrane:
Ask TSandM--I've heard her spiel on drysuits and how they're a personal choice since they don't affect the team as long as they keep you warm. It's a good writeup she did...now if I could only find that post....

I think the trilaminate dictate was from George Irvine. His argument was that rubber suits are to binding and that neoprene suits compress at depth, which give you the same buoyancy issues as wetsuits have.

My question would be, what about crushed-neoprene suits, such as the DUI CF200x? It has better insulating properties than trilaminate suits and doesn't crush at depth. Is the suit binding like a rubber suit?

Also, one of the other features is self-donning (front zip) as opposed to back zip suits.

NWGratefulDiver:
I dunno ... seems to go through a few changes from time to time.

When I worked for the local GUE shop I ordered a drysuit (DUI TLS350, of course). I ordered it with two pockets, assuming that meant bellows pockets.

When I got the suit, it had this silly little flat neoprene pocket on the right side. The shop owner explained that's what DIR divers used ... that the only thing going in that pocket would be wet notes.

After trying it for a while, I sent it back to DUI and asked them to put a real pocket on that side. I'm much happier being able to actually get into the pocket while wearing dry gloves.

Meanwhile, I guess the GUE gurus decided it wasn't one of their better ideas ... they've since gone back to using two bellows pockets ...

There was never any "going back". As far as I can remember JJ, GI and pretty much all of the top DIR spokespeople were always bellows one side and flat the other. Both sides bellows was an Andrew thing; one of many subtle differences he brought that people started calling "West Coast DIR".

It's nice to see that finally the Florida people are starting to listen to the needs of the cold water diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom