DIR Single Tank Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ball on the rear dump would need removal, simple surgical procedure :wink:

Of course that's true of most non Halcyon wings too... The DSS gear gets a lot of good reviews here on SB from their users.

Aloha, Tim

Actually, for Fundamentals, I doubt the instructor is going to worry about that little ball on the rear dump. Lots of Oxycheq wings in our class, and they all had them.

But yes, you'll need the single-piece Hogarthian harness ... I'm a big fan of DSS gear, but the Pro-Fit harness won't go over real well in a DIR setting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cold_Under_Here:
Is this:

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page12.html

an acceptable DIR single tank rig (with Hogarthian Harness minus quick release)?

1. I wolud replace plastic buckles on cam bands.
2. Check if there's pull dump valve on corugated hose elbow (like at DiveRite wings). If there is, it should be replaced with simple elbow.
3. I would consider donat shaped wing for single tank.

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, for Fundamentals, I doubt the instructor is going to worry about that little ball on the rear dump. Lots of Oxycheq wings in our class, and they all had them.

But yes, you'll need the single-piece Hogarthian harness ... I'm a big fan of DSS gear, but the Pro-Fit harness won't go over real well in a DIR setting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had one on my DiveRite wing and was going to leave it on thinking "how could that ever be a problem in my type of diving?" Then I had it get caught twice in a coral head - lol it came off real fast after the second time...

StSomewhere - Let us know how you like the DSS rig - So far I cannot recall hearing anyone who did not like it that had actually used one... and it's one of the only horseshoe shaped single tank wings that users seem to really like for single tank diving as well as the donut shaped ones.

MonkSeal:
1. I wolud replace plastic buckles on cam bands.
2. Check if there's pull dump valve on corugated hose elbow (like at DiveRite wings). If there is, it should be replaced with simple elbow.
3. I would consider donat shaped wing for single tank.

1. Not a requirement for the class, but like you I prefer stainless steel ... my personal preference is the Dive Rite cam straps with SS buckles.
2. The DSS wing comes with a simple elbow.
3. I said the same thing till I tested the DSS wing ... to my concern, it performs as well as the donut wings I currently use.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kidspot:
I had one on my DiveRite wing and was going to leave it on thinking "how could that ever be a problem in my type of diving?" Then I had it get caught twice in a coral head - lol it came off real fast after the second time...

OK ... I can see that. My Venture wing had the pull dump on the "up" side of the wing, whereas the DSS, Oxycheq, and Halcyon wings have it on the "down" side.

I suspect the design of the Venture makes it more susceptible to that problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A few points regarding Plastic vs SS camband buckles.

In my experience the appeal of SS buckles is that they don't fail. Thats true, but they do have a much greater chance of damaging the finish on a tank, the "corners" of all cam type buckles pivot against the surface of the tank when you open or close it. The chewed up nitrox stickers one see's are mostly due to "buckle bite"

The issue with plastic cambuckles is they have been known to fail, rarely, but it happens.

These failures are caused by over loading the buckles, usually in a fruitless effort to tighten the camstrap to retain a tank in a less than ideal, single strap style BC.

I took a whole different approach. On our single rigs "wedge blocks" are included.
See wedge block,scroll down a little.

These compressible rubber pads greatly reduce the maximum load the buckle will ever see, reduces the required closing force (my 10 daughter can do it reliably) and they also act to maintain the tension on the strap as it stretches, and as the tank gets slightly smaller at lower pressures.

The wedge blocks also "lock" the camstrap into the plate so it does not rotate around the tank when you try to adjust it.

This approach allows the reliable use of a plastic buckle, reduces tank finish damage, and actually increases the security with which the tank is retained.

Regards,

Tobin

I too am a fan of plastic cam buckles. Those steel ones really eat tanks, particularly the Halcyon style. Dive Rite has a better steel design with a big rounded edge that isn't as bad.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom