DIR Single Tank Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Interesting ... the reason stated in this link (ball getting stuck between stages, making it impossible to inflate the wing) seems to make a lot more sense to me than the "snag hazard" rationale ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I was thinking the same thing when I read it.

Christian

Robert Phillips:
Just tie some more knots in the string to make one big knot at the end of the string.

Then how is that different for having the ball? Is the point in not having the ball to lessen the potential for getting caught up on something? I'm asking this because I am ignorant of DIR's purpose for removing the ball, and if the solution is to make one big knot at the end of the string then I don't see how that is different from a ball.

I'm not trolling, I just want to understand this better.

Has anyone ever tried to get the ball from a deflator stuck between tanks?

It's physically impossible unless you have a freakishly long leash for your ball.

Divin-D:
Then how is that different for having the ball? Is the point in not having the ball to lessen the potential for getting caught up on something? I'm asking this because I am ignorant of DIR's purpose for removing the ball, and if the solution is to make one big knot at the end of the string then I don't see how that is different from a ball.

I'm not trolling, I just want to understand this better.

The biggest knot is still only larger than the string. The balls are much bigger.

Tobin

pants!:
Has anyone ever tried to get the ball from a deflator stuck between tanks?

It's physically impossible unless you have a freakishly long leash for your ball.
I don't dive with stages, but I was imagining that it might get pinched between the stage and the backplate.

Christian

StSomewhere:
As far as overtightening cam bands, I've always unthreaded the strap from the last cam band slot, pulled the strap *mostly* tight with the cam opened, reinserted the strap back into the last strap and flipped the cam closed. Viola! Don't they teach this stuff anymore in OW classes?

I used to use the same technique, and only very rarely had a problem.

However, I have been diving my DSS hog single tank rig for the past couple months, and it came with Tobin's famous wedge blocks. Those things are great! I no longer have to unthread the the last cam slot. I just pop the band over the top of the tank and flip it closed. It closes easily, and there is no way that tank is going anywhere.

By the way, I have two tanks (HP steel and AL80) and even though they are slightly different sizes the wedge block compresses to take up the difference, so no band adjustment is needed when switching tanks.

Also, as stated earlier, it puts much less stress on the cam buckles because I'm not forcing anything to try to rachet it down.

BTW I passed fundies a few weeks ago, but I have yet to replace my dump valve ball or plastic cam buckles. :11:

headhunter:
I don't dive with stages, but I was imagining that it might get pinched between the stage and the backplate.

Christian
I know if you went to a bungeed wing, the ball could get caught under a bungee. I've used stages and if you had more than 1, I could see it having a potential to happen.

But it is nice to changed out the thin little black string with some nice big string to get a better grip. (I did it to both my Pioneer and Exploder wings. My AGIR wing comes standard with a thick string)

fishoutawater:
I think I'll keep my ball for now. I've never gotten it stuck anywhere. I do try hard to stay out of the coral. If by chance it does get stuck, I do carry a knife. And it's also not that hard to doff my bc and get it un-stuck.
Now if or when I take up cave or wreck diving, where I would expect swimming through tight spots, the ball will go.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be fumbling around with a knife behind my back near my wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom