DIR Single Tank Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
I admit I'm still not sure about replacing the OPV release with a small knot considering the thick wetgloves I'm using, but maybe when I get my DIR-F scheduled that will all magically become clear. :) In the mean time, why not use a tapered/cone-shaped knob?

Try to search the forum - UP described the right movement very clearly (my English is not good enough to repeat the description).

The sooner you cut the ball off less bad habit you'll get.

fishoutawater:
I'm just lurking and learning here but I do have an idea with the dumpvalve ball dilemma.
What do you all think about tying the ball to the main string with a thinner/breakable string? Strong enough to still be functional, but easy enough to break if it gets stuck in a coral head. Like a piece of 8 or 10lb test fishing line or something.

Well, if it got stuck between something and "broke away" then you'd have to resort to just using the string itself, so you may as well go a head and use the string itself to start with. It doesn't take long for the muscle memory to kick in and make this task simple.

Well, I'm still using a standard old Dacor BC, and just now getting used to cold water diving with gloves on. The last time I dove a couple weeks ago, I did appreciate the ball being there.
Hopefully soon, I'll be able to afford a DIR correct setup.

I'm with everyone else here, I have DR SS cam buckles on my singles rig, never marred the tank due to the rubber pad.

As for the ball on the end of the wing, cut it off. This is just my opinion, but it really isn't needed, and can just cause problems (like Kidspot pointed out). I dive sometimes with 7 mil gloves and have learned how to deal with just the string/knot. I make a circle around the OPV with my finger like an ok signal and then close my finger over the valve and move down, the knot appears inbetween the fingers of your gloved hand.

Matt

Corigan:
I make a circle around the OPV with my finger like an ok signal and then close my finger over the valve and move down, the knot appears inbetween the fingers of your gloved hand.
That's the way I was reffering to.

cool_hardware52:
Bob, or The Kraken,

Got any pics of the DR buckles with isolating pad? Maybe I'm missing something. All the DR "camstrap pads" I've seen were the same thin, fairly hard vinyl pad used on the shoulder straps of duffle bags, no real compressibility at all.

Is this a specific piece to prevent tank marking?

Thanks,

Tobin
Yep, it's just to prevent tank marking ... it's too thin to offer any compressibility.

I find that the compressible pads work great for folks with single-strap tank harnesses (I keep a few in my save-a-dive kit for just that purpose) ... the dual-strap harnesses don't seem to need them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Corigan:
As for the ball on the end of the wing, cut it off. This is just my opinion, but it really isn't needed, and can just cause problems (like Kidspot pointed out). I dive sometimes with 7 mil gloves and have learned how to deal with just the string/knot. I make a circle around the OPV with my finger like an ok signal and then close my finger over the valve and move down, the knot appears inbetween the fingers of your gloved hand.

I'm going to give this technique a few more tries. I imagine I'll get used to it, but after only a few dives, I'm finding it a lot more time consuming to find my pull dump with thick gloves and no little ball.

Still interested to hear how one's BC ends up dragging across coral heads in the first place...

D_O_H:
I'm going to give this technique a few more tries. I imagine I'll get used to it, but after only a few dives, I'm finding it a lot more time consuming to find my pull dump with thick gloves and no little ball.

Still interested to hear how one's BC ends up dragging across coral heads in the first place...
Just tie some more knots in the string to make one big knot at the end of the string.

Still interested to hear how one's BC ends up dragging across coral heads in the first place...[/QUOTE]

I knew that was coming. In truth, and I hate to admit it, but I've accidently bumped into coral a couple times myself. I've tried to get a decent shot of something in a swim through and get hit by an unexpected surge and get knocked into it. Sometimes, even with the best of intentions, "stuff" happens.

I think I'll keep my ball for now. I've never gotten it stuck anywhere. I do try hard to stay out of the coral. If by chance it does get stuck, I do carry a knife. And it's also not that hard to doff my bc and get it un-stuck.
Now if or when I take up cave or wreck diving, where I would expect swimming through tight spots, the ball will go.

D_O_H:

http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/dumpvalve_mod.html

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom