DIR regulators...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like that "save-a-divetrip" kit. I usually carry an extra reg with me, and an extra hose, and an adapter, just in case...

Ben - GUE doesn't disagree at all. Their actual wording in the link you provided is "as these can be difficult to source in some diving destinations around the world."

So as long as you can alleviate that situation, you're good to go.

Yeah, and the line directly before that says: "Avoid regulators which have custom hose fittings" (notice the key word) then it goes on to say to block the port and includes the part numbers. You don't have to agree with it, but that is the DIR way.

Ben

Ben - dude, you're starting to remind me of Chrpai with his anti-DIR... obsession? Fetish? Whatever.

It's there for a reason. If you can alleviate the reason, you're good. If you want to get as nit-picky as you have been in the last 5 or 6 days, go ahead, but there are bigger issues to worry about. If you carry the replacement parts, you're good!

It's like the argument on Turtle Fins. I can't wear Jet Fins, because my feet are too big. Nothing I could do about it. So if I wore Turtles, does that mean I wasn't DIR? Probably. Would I get kicked out of the WKPP for doing it? Hardly not.

(Not to say the WKPP would take me in the first place, and they also now have XXL JetFins, but I think you understand what I'm trying to say.)

For a guy who's awfully anti-DIR lately, you're coming awfully close to drinking the anti-koolaid. Careful - one flavour is just as bad for you as the other.

What are you talking about? Being DIR has nothing to do with Halcyon, that's been covered over and over and over and over.

And since when does quoting the WKPP website make you anti-DIR? It specifically says to block the port and not use it. If you want to use it, fine, go ahead, but this is a DIR forum, so I'm trying to give a DIR answer. Do I think it's valid reasoning? No, but I don't dictate DIR.

Just cause I have a glass in my hand doesn't mean it's Kool-Aid, it's probably a beer, you could use one yourself.

Ben

Hmm... sorry if I opened a can of worms with my post. Seems that it still is a debatable issue. I know that realistically, the 1/2" port shouldn't be a problem. Finding a DIR length replacement hose is tough enough.

An adapter works, as does carrying a spare hose. But from the GUE website, it seems that they prefer to block of the port and use the other standard ports instead. I guess the issue of bringing a spare hose wasn't really brought up. And the ATX100 wasn't available at the time the article was published, so the DST was the one with the 1/2" port... easily rotated to have the hoses placed properly.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of different solutions... I am only curious as to what the strict DIR answer should be. And why they recommend blocking the port, instead of carrying a spare hose (or hoses). And if the rule on the 1/2" port is a flexible one or not...meaning, if you do carry a spare hose, are you still within the DIR guidelines.

jplacson:
And if the rule on the 1/2" port is a flexible one or not...meaning, if you do carry a spare hose, are you still within the DIR guidelines.
Don't get too hung up on the tiniest details - using or not using the 1/2" port is NOT what makes you DIR or non-DIR.

Honestly, hoses fail with such rarity, just buy two of the 1/2" size and keep one as a spare. Or buy an adapter and carry that. Plugging the hole isn't always an option - single tank ATX100 or ATX200 rig - you've got primary and backup regs, LP inflator at minimum. The moment you add a drysuit hose you're toast because you're forced to use the 1/2" port for SOMETHING. It's not the military where picking and choosing your own gear might have nasty real-world consequences - it's just diving!

First of all, I believe on the GUE website, they are primarily talking about double cylinders. For single tank diving, stop worrying.

I also use the Zeagle Flathead VI. Apex & Zeagle used to be one in the same, so I am told. Any comments on using Zeagle with DIR?

Correction, Zeagle used to sell Apeks regs rebadged as Zeagle. Now, Zeagle makes their own regs, with a very similar design to Apeks. I believe Zeagle regs are DIR.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom