dir questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeffG:
Where is the line drawn? Well, it would take very little research to "debunk" half of his questions. So, if he can't even put in a little bit of effort, Why should I (or anyone else)?
You shouldn't ... but consider that it takes even less effort to not call someone stupid, and with more positive results.

Look, I don't claim to be DIR ... but I work at a GUE shop, and I do try my best to promote the benefits of GUE to those divers who I believe want to take diving seriously.

Most of the stuff Trey splatters across cyberspace is aimed at people who should know better ... but because some think it makes good sound bites, it ends up getting used to "promote" an image of DIR that only clutters up the conversation.

Had a guy round off on me at the DUI DOG Days event yesterday simply because I made some mention of diving with DIR folks. Hell, I wasn't even talking to him ... but suddenly I got the whole friggen' sermon about how he's been diving since 1964 and dives trimix and ... yada yada yada ... and he doesn't need a bunch of people who weren't even born when he started diving coming around telling him how he's doing it all wrong ... yada yada yada.

So where do ya think he got his ideas about DIR? Probably the same place fishhunta's friends at the LDS did ... by reading a bunch of horse-hockey on the Internet.

I could've fired back yesterday, but I let the dude ramble ... and when he stopped to take a breath I said "Ya know, I dive to have fun ... how about you?"

Point is, "clever" remarks tend to convey an image that DIR would be better off without. If you think a response is worth the effort, at least make it a worthwhile response. It'll make my job of explaining to new divers why they might want to consider DIR a whole lot easier ... and give the older divers less of a reason to cop an attitude.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fishhunta:
I did talk to a nice fellow from JUE in Japan. Talking with him is what got me to inquire. He was cool and made sense. After he left, others in the shop were saying the things I asked about. I had to ask because the way people talked about the DIR crowd didn't mesh with his positive attitude.
This is a perfect distillation of what my experiences about GUE and DIR have been "in real life."

I have not met a DIR guy that is hostile, belligerent, unreasonable, or self-righteous in real life. I have never met one that belittles non-DIR divers just because. I have had nothing but positive experiences with happy people who have a clear focus on improving their diving (and very often improving their lives as well).

By contrast, I have certainly met a good deal of "anti-DIR" people in real life who ARE belligerent, hostile, unreasonable, and self-righteous. I have literally been verbally attacked because I showed up at a dive site with my "techie gear," totally unprovoked.

It is NO surprise to me that this poster had a pleasant upbeat conversation with this DIR diver, only to have the others in the area make fun of him as soon as he left.

To be perfectly fair, I have also met many many divers who are either curious, understanding, or accepting of my gear. They make of the majority of divers that I know. They may or may not know about DIR or what it's all about, but they're often nice knowledgeable people. I shouldn't have to put this disclaimer up but I know what will happen if I don't.

NWGratefulDiver:
Jeff was just quoting everyone's favorite troll ... George Irvine III.

Comments like that are why DIR is such a popular concept with most of the rest of the diving community ... and why misconceptions like those in the original post of this thread keep showing up.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know Jeff has a good sense of humor. I just didn't see any quotation marks and thought maybe he was in a bad mood. So I had to step in to back a fellow spearo... hey, the DIR guys stick together so why not? :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Most of the stuff Trey splatters across cyberspace is aimed at people who should know better ... but because some think it makes good sound bites, it ends up getting used to "promote" an image of DIR that only clutters up the conversation.

It does more than that. It gives a large group of 'wannabes' ( you know - those that GI3 would never even dive with ) who like to be "better" than, a reason to be *******s too, or at least elitist when dealing with other divers.

NWGratefulDiver:
Had a guy round off on me at the DUI DOG Days event yesterday simply because I made some mention of diving with DIR folks. Hell, I wasn't even talking to him ... but suddenly I got the whole friggen' sermon about how he's been diving since 1964 and dives trimix and ... yada yada yada ... and he doesn't need a bunch of people who weren't even born when he started diving coming around telling him how he's doing it all wrong ... yada yada yada.

How interesting, The Exact same thing happened in Hoodsport a few years ago - except it was a bunch of DIR types in a booth giving a person who wasn't a 'believer' the same rant only in reverse.

You reap what you sow, eh?

NWGratefulDiver:
So where do ya think he got his ideas about DIR? Probably the same place fishhunta's friends at the LDS did ... by reading a bunch of horse-hockey on the Internet.

Or he could have been at a dive site with a group of ( almost DIR ) wannabes, who wouldn't say hi, or give the time of day to a diver who wasn't one of their klick. I've seen this - no eye contact, don't look at the 'stroke', no smile, no acknowlegement of a non dir diver's existance, and after seeing a "recruit" diving with a "non member", giving that recruit a raft of crap about it.

I'm sorry but this is the behavior of a Cult, and Most normal people are Very put off by this behavior.

It's funny how what is supposed to be a recreational activity is turned into such a hostile "us vs them" type mentality. DIR is just one approach to tech diving, that has been put together in a very structured form. If you want to use it, then do it and if you don't well then that's fine too; it's still diving nonetheless.

CIBDiving:
How interesting, The Exact same thing happened in Hoodsport a few years ago - except it was a bunch of DIR types in a booth giving a person who wasn't a 'believer' the same rant only in reverse.

DIR types? Yeah I guess Bob deserved that then, eh?!!!

CIBDiving:
Or he could have been at a dive site with a group of ( almost DIR ) wannabes, who wouldn't say hi, or give the time of day to a diver who wasn't one of their klick. I've seen this - no eye contact, don't look at the 'stroke', no smile, no acknowlegement of a non dir diver's existance, and after seeing a "recruit" diving with a "non member", giving that recruit a raft of crap about it.

I'm sorry but this is the behavior of a Cult, and Most normal people are Very put off by this behavior.

Keep making up stories like this to scare the kids and one day it will be true.

CIBDiving:

How so ???

I've never ranted on anyone for not being DIR. So how did I "sow" ... by associating with people who tend to dive this way? Got news for ya bud ... I dive with anybody, as long as they've got a safe attitude. I don't look at their gear or diving style ... but if they've copped a 'tude they can go diving with someone else. I dive to have fun ... and choose my dive buddies accordingly.

CIBDiving:

Ya know ... I spend rather a lot of time around DIR divers. In fact, I did so even when I wasn't diving that way ... and even back when I was the recipient of an occasional wisecrack from someone (usually a fresh-from-DIRF diver) who's enthusiam got the better of them.

But I've never ... not once ... seen the behavior you're describing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CIBDiving:
It does more than that. It gives a large group of 'wannabes' ( you know - those that GI3 would never even dive with ) who like to be "better" than, a reason to be *******s too, or at least elitist when dealing with other divers.

Yeah, we slaughter goats and burn incence before every dive. Get a life.

jonnythan:
This is a perfect distillation of what my experiences about GUE and DIR have been "in real life."

I have not met a DIR guy that is hostile, belligerent, unreasonable, or self-righteous in real life. I have never met one that belittles non-DIR divers just because. I have had nothing but positive experiences with happy people who have a clear focus on improving their diving (and very often improving their lives as well).

By contrast, I have certainly met a good deal of "anti-DIR" people in real life who ARE belligerent, hostile, unreasonable, and self-righteous. I have literally been verbally attacked because I showed up at a dive site with my "techie gear," totally unprovoked.

It is NO surprise to me that this poster had a pleasant upbeat conversation with this DIR diver, only to have the others in the area make fun of him as soon as he left.
Well drop me like a dead fish! I agree with every word of Jonnythan's post.

Frankly, a lot in DIR-internet-divers come off in a manner that would scare away just about any potential future DIR'er. However, each and every DIR diver I have dived with has been welcoming, friendly, magnanimous, and possessing excellent diving skills.

So, real life being vastly weighter on the scale of influence, I have finally signed up for the Fundies Class at 5th D in November.

I think some internet DIR alumni secretly wish to keep others form taking the class, believing this secures their position of superiority (all present company excepted :D). I just can't think of another reason for insulting people who ask questions about DIR.

NWGratefulDiver:
You shouldn't ... but consider that it takes even less effort to not call someone stupid, and with more positive results.
But its not near as much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom