dir questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TSandM:
I have to say, though, that I read the book and although all the gear is spelled out very clearly, a lot of the time the REASON for it is not clear. We were actually discussing this morning why it is stated that Al 80's are the only tanks for open ocean. Since we are all drysuit divers here, steel tanks make good sense for us. I couldn't state
why aluminum was recommended.

Hi TsandM

Where in the world did you get that idea? Steel tanks are perfectly acceptable in most situations. They do have to be green though:crafty:

If you real have an interest in DIR read the sticky posts and JJs book. I am very happy I did so myself.

TSandM:
I have to say, though, that I read the book and although all the gear is spelled out very clearly, a lot of the time the REASON for it is not clear. We were actually discussing this morning why it is stated that Al 80's are the only tanks for open ocean. Since we are all drysuit divers here, steel tanks make good sense for us. I couldn't state why aluminum was recommended.

You misread it. The idea is, if you dive wet dive Alu. Dive dry, steel or Alu.

fishhunta:
Why does my bladder have to be black???
Because if it was pink, we would call you a girly man.

fishhunta:
Why can't I dive a steel single?
You lack skill?

fishhunta:
Why must I use trimix past 100ft??
Because if your this stupid on air...you are not going to get any better at depth.

Sloth:
You misread it. The idea is, if you dive wet dive Alu. Dive dry, steel or Alu.
and you misunderstood the entire concept

I may have misread it, and it was borrowed, so I don't have a copy to look at to see why I got the idea I did. If it was erroneous, I apologize; I do not in any way pretend to represent the concepts, nor did I intend to denigrate them. I'm actually quite intrigued with the whole approach, which is why I read the book, and why I've been trying to figure out how to work a DIR-F class into my schedule. So don't get mad at me! I still think the reasons behind the gear choices were not always spelled out clearly.

fishhunta
Please if you could read sticky in this Forum. DIR forum is a troll free zone and some of your question do sound like one. Folks who write here are very sensitive on this matter and they have to reason to be so. I take for granted what you said that you are seeking real answers. To find them I would advise www.gue.org or www.wkpp.com.
Mania

mania:
fishhunta
Please if you could read sticky in this Forum. DIR forum is a troll free zone and some of your question do sound like one. Folks who write here are very sensitive on this matter and they have to reason to be so. I take for granted what you said that you are seeking real answers. To find them I would advise www.gue.org or www.wkpp.com.
Mania

Gotcha.......Those were just things that I'd heard and wanted to hear the answers from people who know. Did not intend to stirr the pot.

I did read the sticky by cave diver, and it was very informative. Thanks!

JeffG:
Because if your this stupid on air...you are not going to get any better at depth.

That was uncalled for. The guy dives a lot, maybe different than DIR, and perhaps one could learn from him rather than ridicule him.

Hank49:
That was uncalled for. The guy dives a lot, maybe different than DIR, and perhaps one could learn from him rather than ridicule him.
Jeff was just quoting everyone's favorite troll ... George Irvine III.

Comments like that are why DIR is such a popular concept with most of the rest of the diving community ... and why misconceptions like those in the original post of this thread keep showing up.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom