DIR principles applied to OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I disagree with that analysis.

Experimentation is the realm of the DIR elite. The rest of us must conform.

To prove it a few questions;

single or double bladders?
Tilam or neoprene?
stages left or right?

your answers will be:

Single,
Trilam
Left

Until George Irvine wears a stage on the right. Then your answer will change.

R..

Diver0001:
I can understand this reasoning but it's not DIR. The DIR equipment configuration is not open for second-guessing, it's a standard. To be DIR (in terms of equipment) you need to simply memorize the details and conform. Questioning the status quo and experimentation with the gear are not DIR. There are other, more forgiving, styles for that.

R..

Since when is an H-Valve not DIR?

http://www.gue.com/equipment/valves.shtml

...or are you stirring the pot?

Diver0001:
Experimentation is the realm of the DIR elite. The rest of us must conform.

To prove it a few questions;

single or double bladders?
Tilam or neoprene?
stages left or right?

your answers will be:

Single,
Trilam
Left

R..
How about..
single or double tanks?
drysuit or wetsuit?
piston or diaphragm?
primary hose length?
rebreather or OC?

All of these are not cut and dry answers in the DIR system. They all require thought and analysis of the diving that you're doing.

Diver0001:
He does when he sidemounts.

Diver0001:
It certainly isn't like that everywhere.... In Holland the DIR hardcore are very......hmmmmm......introverted, for lack of a better term.

R..
That's too bad... they're not only missing out on some potentially good buddies, but they're missing out on the opportunities to introduce others to the style (not to mention the "hardcore" attitude is what tends to turn many folks off even looking into DIR).

Diver0001:
No pot stirring. There may be regional differences but as far as I know the OW singles DIR rig does not allow for dual 1sts.

R..

Well,

I've got a copy of the 2004 Halcyon catalog in front of me, and there are several photos in there of DIR divers in open water with redundant firsts...

Snowbear:
Just 'cause it's Halcyon doesn't make it DIR :wink:

That would explain why the DIR line: "Nothing but your name on your tanks" flys in the face of the MOD and Gas labeling products from Halcyon. Halcyon needs to quit fooling around and come around to the DIR way... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom